Questions about 5x5 stronglifts

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Guy comes home early to find hisgirl cheating with her step brother an..
108 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Lawsuit Says Birdman and Slim Are Cooking The Books To Avoid Paying Millions I..
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fast 9 poster courtesy of Tyrese
74 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
G-Eazy at Prom
44 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

4 days ago '09        #1
283 pageviews
9 comments

DUGGEY 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,781 | Props total: 612 612
Questions about 5x5 stronglifts

Hey guys,
So over the past few months I've gotten back on my sh*t and got back on the healthy lifestyle. Very strict eating and water intake, intermittent fasting cutting out all white flour, most wheat and all sugary foods 5 days a week. Also have been doing moderate weight lifting, lots of boxing and some HIIT andkettlebells as well. I've dropped 10 pounds, I'm 5'7, 155 now.

With that all being said, I started doing the 5x5 stronglifts program this week to start adding back some healthy weight and more muscle to my frame and I have a couple questions if anyone has the time to drop knowledge.

First off, if I'm doing this routine Monday, Wednesday and Friday, is it okay for me to do some light boxing and sprinting on one of my off days? It says to not do much on off days as it could be counter productive, but I like boxing a lot and I feel lazy on days where I do nothing.

Also, I have started doing a protein shake after my heavy lifting sessions to make sure I get enough in my system. Should I only supplement with that on my lifting days? I'm very concious about staying lean through this process so I don't want to be pouring back a whey protein shake daily if it will go against my goals of being lean but with a bit more muscle.

Sorry for the long a.ss post, if anyone actually reads it and has some insights on this it would be greatly appreciated.
eazy253 and 3 others gave props

9 comments for "Questions about 5x5 stronglifts"

4 days ago '10        #2
ThRoWeD MaN LaN 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,882 | Props total: 664 664
Yes it is okay to do cardio on off days.

Protein shakes are typically used to help meet your protein intake for the day.
If you're struggling to meet your macros then protein shakes will help you consume more protein. You need to know and track your macros before you're able to know if that's the case.

Good sh*t on getting back on track. Track your food for a little while (download MyFitnessPal or something similar) and keep hitting the gym consistently. You will find that everything will start to fall into place and this sh*t is simpler than people make it out to be.

Lift + eat more to gain weight/muscle
Lift + eat less to lose weight
eazy253 and 3 others gave props

4 days ago '15        #3
Teddy KGB 18 heat pts18
space
space
$6,033 | Props total: 14682 14682
 ThRoWeD MaN LaN said:
this sh*t is simpler than people make it out to be.

I especially hate when I see overweight people in the gym wasting their time with very specific advanced exercises. It's not my business, so I don't say anything, but I want to tell them just keep it simple. Bench, push ups, pull ups, squats, deadlifts, 2 mile run.. Drink water. Eat less. You will be s3xy in a few months.

Props on getting back at it, OP.
eazy253 and 4 others gave props

4 days ago '09        #4
DUGGEY 4 heat pts OP
space
space
 ThRoWeD MaN LaN said:
Yes it is okay to do cardio on off days.

Protein shakes are typically used to help meet your protein intake for the day.
If you're struggling to meet your macros then protein shakes will help you consume more protein. You need to know and track your macros before you're able to know if that's the case.

Good sh*t on getting back on track. Track your food for a little while (download MyFitnessPal or something similar) and keep hitting the gym consistently. You will find that everything will start to fall into place and this sh*t is simpler than people make it out to be.

Lift + eat more to gain weight/muscle
Lift + eat less to lose weight
Props, thanks for the response. I think I'm more or less going to continue what I'm doing but I'm going to add the MyFitnessPal component in and track things a bit more. Mostly I like the track I'm on, I just want to get stronger and a bit more muscular and shed the rest of the belly fat that I've been working towards dropping. Not really much to go but I want to be cut on the abs to go with everything else, so I don't wanna sabotage progress in one area to reach a goal in a different one. Thanks for your suggestions
eazy253 and 1 others gave props

4 days ago '10        #5
ThRoWeD MaN LaN 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,882 | Props total: 664 664
 DUGGEY said:
Props, thanks for the response. I think I'm more or less going to continue what I'm doing but I'm going to add the MyFitnessPal component in and track things a bit more. Mostly I like the track I'm on, I just want to get stronger and a bit more muscular and shed the rest of the belly fat that I've been working towards dropping. Not really much to go but I want to be cut on the abs to go with everything else, so I don't wanna sabotage progress in one area to reach a goal in a different one. Thanks for your suggestions
Like I said, I'm glad you're just going. It seems like you have a solid training plan, too.

Just don't underestimate the importance of diet. Many people do when they begin, including myself, but your diet will have a major say on what your progress is like.
DUGGEY gave props

4 days ago '09        #6
DUGGEY 4 heat pts OP
space
space
 ThRoWeD MaN LaN said:
Like I said, I'm glad you're just going. It seems like you have a solid training plan, too.

Just don't underestimate the importance of diet. Many people do when they begin, including myself, but your diet will have a major say on what your progress is like.
Thanks bro, I really appreciate the feedback.
 3 days ago '04        #7
Propel Water 16 heat pts16
space
space
$18,510 | Props total: 2851 2851
I actually just got on a 5x5 plan going Monday, Wednesday, Friday. It's just squat, bench/military press, and deadlift right now. I also throw in a bicep workout and tricep workout to work my arms a bit.

I need to get my cardio and stamina back up so I'm thinking about doing some light cardio or something on my off days if not right at the end of the workout
strungout and 2 others gave props

3 days ago '14        #8
strungout 352 heat pts352
space
space
$16,087 | Props total: 20619 20619
i am following the same routine as you, and after almost every work out except when i am really sore i go on the treadmill for 30-40 mins but i have the mindset that with cardio I'm not doing it to get lean , i am doing it to increase my stamina and just overall health plus you feel good as hell after you done..

to get lean you got to focus on the diet primarily

so continue with the 5x5 program and if you can add more things like boxing into your schedule , any kind of extra physical activity is only going to be helpful to you.
DUGGEY and 1 others gave props

3 days ago '14        #9
strungout 352 heat pts352
space
space
$16,087 | Props total: 20619 20619
being lean just means the absence of fat there is no such thing as lean muscle , all muscle is lean by definition.
DUGGEY gave props

2 days ago '09        #10
DUGGEY 4 heat pts OP
space
space
Thanks for all the responses guys. Appreciate all the insight. I will check back in in a week or so.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If She aint a Dime, I don't know who is
54 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Apr 22 - Strange New Details Emerge in Bizarre Brazilian Disappearance
74 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Apr 22 - IT HAPPENED AGAIN AMERICAN AIRLINES FLIGHT ATTENDANT GETS in F..
40 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside My 600 Pound Life aka Eww fat people OD gross :dead:
131 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL New Report Explains Aaron Hernandez Killed Odin Lloyd Because Lloyd Knew A..
156 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Damn Webbie 50 ain't pay you?
146 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Apr 22 - Man dies after Disney rollercoaster
107 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Extended Footage of Young Lito at Irving Plaza.
184 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy