A ton of people received text messages overnight that were originally sent on Valentine’s

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+54  106
39 comments @hiphop
most viewed right now
191 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

5 days ago '04        #1
3353 page views
35 comments

DJ Maximum|M 
space
space
Props total: 31256 31 K  Slaps total: 2437 2 K
A ton of people received text messages overnight that were originally sent on Valentine’s

Something strange is happening with text messages in the US right now. Overnight, a multitude of people received text messages that appear to have originally been sent on or around Valentine’s Day 2019. These people never received the text messages in the first place; the people who sent the messages had no idea that they had never been received, and they did nothing to attempt to resend them overnight.

Delayed messages were sent from and received by both iPhones and Android phones, and the messages seem to have been sent and received across all major carriers in the US. Many of the complaints involve T-Mobile or Sprint, although AT&T and Verizon have been mentioned as well. People using regional US carriers, carriers in Canada, and even Google Voice also seem to have experienced delays.

“IT WAS A PUNCH IN THE GUT.”
At fault seems to be a system that multiple cell carriers use for messaging. A Sprint spokesperson said a “maintenance update” last night caused the error. “The issue was resolved not long after it occurred,” the spokesperson said. “We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.”

T-Mobile blamed the issue on a “third party vendor.” It didn’t clarify what company that was or what service they provided. “We’re aware of this and it is resolved,” a T-Mobile spokesperson said.

The statements speak to why the messages were sent last night, but it’s still unknown why the messages were all from Valentine’s Day and weren’t sent in the first place. The Verge has asked Sprint and T-Mobile to provide more information about what happened.

Dozens of people have tweeted about receiving messages overnight. Most expressed confusion or spoke to the awkwardness of the situation, having been told by friends that they sent a mysterious early-morning text message. A few spoke to much more distressing repercussions of this error: one person said they received a message from an ex-boyfriend who had died; another received messages from a best friend who is now dead.

“It was a punch in the gut. Honestly I thought I was dreaming and for a second I thought she was still here,” said one person, who goes by KuribHoe on Twitter, who received the message from their best friend who had died. “The last few months haven’t been easy and just when I thought I was getting some type of closure this just ripped open a new hole.”

Another person said a text message that she sent in February was received at 5AM by someone who is now her ex-boyfriend. The result was “a lot of confusion,” said Jamie. But she said that “it was actually kinda nice that it opened up a short conversation.”

In a tweet, a Sprint customer service rep said “the message issue was identified and resolved” in response to a subscriber’s complaint. But more information hasn’t been provided.

The Verge has reached out to Verizon, AT&T, and Google for comment.

Imagine getting a message all late image caused ur relationship trouble or something new pops up and messes up your current relationship
+8   

best
worst
35 comments

5 days ago '13        #2
jjwms33 
space
space
space
Props total: 1771 1 K  Slaps total: 345 345
Damn...That's why Valentines was real quiet. No flowers at work for the chicks or nothing...Lmao
+5   

5 days ago '13        #3
jjwms33 
space
space
space
Props total: 1771 1 K  Slaps total: 345 345
 DJ Maximum said

Something strange is happening with text messages in the US right now. Overnight, a multitude of people received text messages that appear to have originally been sent on or around Valentine’s Day 2019. These people never received the text messages in the first place; the people who sent the messages had no idea that they had never been received, and they did nothing to attempt to resend them overnight.

Delayed messages were sent from and received by both iPhones and Android phones, and the messages seem to have been sent and received across all major carriers in the US. Many of the complaints involve T-Mobile or Sprint, although AT&T and Verizon have been mentioned as well. People using regional US carriers, carriers in Canada, and even Google Voice also seem to have experienced delays.

At fault seems to be a system that multiple cell carriers use for messaging. A Sprint spokesperson said a “maintenance update” last night caused the error. “The issue was resolved not long after it occurred,” the spokesperson said. “We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.”

T-Mobile blamed the issue on a “third party vendor.” It didn’t clarify what company that was or what service they provided. “We’re aware of this and it is resolved,” a T-Mobile spokesperson said.

The statements speak to why the messages were sent last night, but it’s still unknown why the messages were all from Valentine’s Day and weren’t sent in the first place. The Verge has asked Sprint and T-Mobile to provide more information about what happened.

Dozens of people have tweeted about receiving messages overnight. Most expressed confusion or spoke to the awkwardness of the situation, having been told by friends that they sent a mysterious early-morning text message. A few spoke to much more distressing repercussions of this error: one person said they received a message from an ex-boyfriend who had died; another received messages from a best friend who is now dead.

“It was a punch in the gut. Honestly I thought I was dreaming and for a second I thought she was still here,” said one person, who goes by KuribHoe on Twitter, who received the message from their best friend who had died. “The last few months haven’t been easy and just when I thought I was getting some type of closure this just ripped open a new hole.”

Another person said a text message that she sent in February was received at 5AM by someone who is now her ex-boyfriend. The result was “a lot of confusion,” said Jamie. But she said that “it was actually kinda nice that it opened up a short conversation.”

In a tweet, a Sprint customer service rep said “the message issue was identified and resolved” in response to a subscriber’s complaint. But more information hasn’t been provided.

Imagine getting a message all late caused ur relationship trouble or something new pops up and messes up your current relationship

The result was “a lot of confusion,” said Jamie. But she said that “it was actually kinda nice that it opened up a short conversation.”

At least the ex back in...
+12   

5 days ago '08        #4
flav 
space
space
Props total: 9924 9 K  Slaps total: 2465 2 K
Sprint and T-Mobile primarily

I’m not surprised

But to their defense, Could that have anything to do with the merging process between them that may have caused some sort of misconfiguration at some point in time?
+1   

5 days ago '17        #5
Nosbig 
space
space
Props total: 1567 1 K  Slaps total: 201 201
Ppl on the rebound now
+4   

5 days ago '08        #6
Chedda  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 53871 53 K  Slaps total: 2865 2 K
Imagine the drama that this has caused some people.

+15   

5 days ago '18        #7
Tony Prosper 
space
space
space
Props total: 870 870  Slaps total: 156 156
Why the fu*k is a 3rd party involved anyway?

+6   

5 days ago '04        #8
RETURNOFTHEKING 
space
space
Props total: 12194 12 K  Slaps total: 3141 3 K
That what you get for not going to her window with flowers and a guitar and serenading her with a lovely tune on Valentine’s Day.

fu*king text message simps.
+4   

5 days ago '05        #9
jaedot 
space
space
Props total: 11161 11 K  Slaps total: 726 726
+3   

5 days ago '04        #10
Fresh Beats 
space
space
Props total: 7515 7 K  Slaps total: 367 367
It’s wild to think that this altered the course of the future for some people.

Jon Conner won’t be around to f*ght the terminators because of this

+13   

5 days ago '04        #11
xbossxplayax 
space
space
Props total: 5521 5 K  Slaps total: 1355 1 K
 Tony Prosper said

equivalent to the "it was a training exercise" excuse aka plz dont ask questions its none of your business
+4   

5 days ago '04        #12
focused313 
space
space
Props total: 3274 3 K  Slaps total: 414 414
I received a text from someone and I was thinking...what in the fu*k. I just replied "???"

They didn't reply so I let it go.

5 days ago '04        #13
nicoled985 
space
space
Props total: 6093 6 K  Slaps total: 605 605
So my best friend got a text from me that I sent on Valentine's day informing her that my grandfather had passed away (he died on Valentine's day). She sends a message late at night saying "omg Nicole I'm so sorry". I woke up randomly in the middle of the night, read the message and I'm wondering what the fu*k she's talking about and get worried but it's too late to text so this morning I checked on my fam. Didn't get much rest because I was worried someone in my fam that she knew passed away. Turns out she thought my other grandfather passed away. I was fu*king pissed at T Mobile.
+6   

5 days ago '15        #14
Minkscobar! 
space
space
Props total: 16121 16 K  Slaps total: 4455 4 K
 Tony Prosper said

A 3rd party that all these carriers use
+2   

4 days ago '15        #15
StaRbizzie 
space
space
space
Props total: 118 118  Slaps total: 40 40
 Minkscobar! said
A 3rd party that all these carriers use

Nsa . a glitch or test of servers that store all ur data and text goin back even if u deleted it.
+1   

4 days ago '06        #16
LYTE 
space
space
space
Props total: 12090 12 K  Slaps total: 1166 1 K
Damn sure happened to me as well
My homey text me after 1am
I woke up confused
+1   

4 days ago '06        #17
LYTE 
space
space
space
Props total: 12090 12 K  Slaps total: 1166 1 K
 DJ Maximum said

Imagine getting a message all late caused ur relationship trouble or something new pops up and messes up your current relationship
Source?
I want to send to someone

4 days ago '04        #18
DJ Maximum|M  OP
space
space
Props total: 31256 31 K  Slaps total: 2437 2 K
 LYTE said
Source?
I want to send to someone
+1   

4 days ago '19        #19
843chucky 
space
space
space
Props total: 105 105  Slaps total: 0 0
 DJ Maximum said
Smh

Let me forward this sh*t... I was asked some crazy sh*t while I was in the shower before work!!

"Bih... wtf are you talking about"

4 days ago '18        #20
STUNT101 
space
space
space
Props total: 2339 2 K  Slaps total: 226 226
I didn't cause I was already smashing

4 days ago '16        #21
P Glizzy 
space
space
Props total: 8722 8 K  Slaps total: 1141 1 K
Spooky.
+2   

4 days ago '18        #22
Lsulakersaints 
space
space
Props total: 5509 5 K  Slaps total: 306 306
fu*k the text sh*t, I go ahead and put my order of flowers n sh*t in to the flower delivery dude in December and have him drop it off at her job on vday

4 days ago '07        #23
placez 
space
space
space
Props total: 372 372  Slaps total: 138 138
makes sense probably conceived on valentines day

4 days ago '06        #24
Verdict  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 3474 3 K  Slaps total: 423 423
Yup, the wife told me her friend who bakes got a text from her saying "how the cake come out" and they were both confused cause that text wasn't sent by her.

Then at work, this coworker is like, "yo I've been reading all these spiritual books, and things about dimensions, and this morning I get a text from my friend asking why I asked him if he got home okay, and I never sent it" lol I'm like "bro, nothing dimensional or beyond, my wife had the same exact issue this morning, definitely something going on, on the carriers end"

+2   

4 days ago '05        #25
MavsAreMyTeam 
space
space
space
Props total: 1299 1 K  Slaps total: 136 136
Class action lawsuit incoming, screenshot and save

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+25online now  22
Video inside Abandoned Japanese Billionaire 200,000,000 Mansion w/ Everything Left B..
58 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  17
Whats your top 8 films of 2019 so far?
64 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+46online now  16
Image(s) inside KFC was out here wildn back in the day