Sony to shut down PS Vue

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

3 weeks ago '11        #1
612 page views
6 comments

whouthinkitis 
space
space
Props total: 3874 3 K  Slaps total: 357 357
Sony to shut down PS Vue

AU REVOIR ó
An end in Vue: Sony will shutter its streaming video service
The cable-replacement service will end operations on January 30, 2020.
SAMUEL AXON - 10/29/2019, 7:41 PM

A Sony sign at a company HQ
Sony does a lot of things, but the PlayStation brand is a huge part of its profits. Vue? Not so much.
xsix / Flickr
Sony today announced that it will soon shut down PlayStation Vue, its streaming TV service that served as a lighter alternative to traditional cable for live-TV viewers. The company's short blog post on the subject says that Vue will continue to operate until January 30, 2020, but that it will become inoperable after that date.

"Unfortunately, the highly competitive Pay TV industry, with expensive content and network deals, has been slower to change than we expected," Sony wrote. "Because of this, we have decided to remain focused on our core gaming business."

Sony is trying to sell off PlayStation Vue, but it might have a hard time of it
Sony will continue to offer movies and TV episodes for purchase on-demand through the PlayStation Store, however; this closure only affects the live-TV service, which licensed channels traditionally found on cable for streaming in an interface that was available on PlayStation game consoles, Roku, Apple TV, and other platforms.
PlayStation Vue was the first major service of its type when it launched in the United States in 2015. It was followed by offerings from Hulu, YouTube, and others that sought to provide the basic live-TV cable experience streaming over the Internet with more modern interfaces and built-in features like cloud-based DVR and without long-term contract commitments. However, despite its early start, the Vue service lagged competitors in terms of subscribers. And since Sony had less leverage in the entertainment business than say, Disney (which is the majority owner of Hulu), it reportedly found itself paying more than competitors for already extremely pricy content deals with TV networks.

visit this link https://arstechnica.com/g .. ve-tv-service/

best
worst
6 comments

3 weeks ago '17        #2
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 69913 69 K  Slaps total: 4148 4 K
This is what I can't stand about Sony. Unless something is raking in dough immediately rather than making it better and standing behind they cut it off or abandon it all together and let it die a slow death.
+1   

3 weeks ago '10        #3
Bandito 
space
space
space
Props total: 32112 32 K  Slaps total: 4459 4 K
 Naga Sadow said
This is what I can't stand about Sony. Unless something is raking in dough immediately rather than making it better and standing behind they cut it off or abandon it all together and let it die a slow death.
They fu*ked up linking it to the Playstation brand. I think a lot of people thought you needed a Playstation to use it. I did for a long time. They should have changed the name a long time ago.
+7   

2 weeks ago '04        #4
GarySanchize24 
space
space
Props total: 16123 16 K  Slaps total: 4379 4 K
they better have youtube tv on ps4 then
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #5
storyboutdamans 
space
space
space
Props total: 659 659  Slaps total: 331 331
Not cool I used to plug my Vue credentials into Kodi on my Xbox.
+1   

2 weeks ago '14        #6
cm09 
space
space
Props total: 1736 1 K  Slaps total: 60 60
Damn I just got hip to Vue

1 week ago '05        #7
DatKidDex 
space
space
Props total: 795 795  Slaps total: 188 188
Vue was awesome used it for a while

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+18online now  26
Nov 18 - South Korea Ditches The US, Signs Defense Agreement With China
70 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  20
2019 Black Friday deals?
73 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
online now  18
Christian Bale; Christopher Nolan declined to develop a sequel to 'The Dark Kn..
42 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+67online now  6
Video inside Gucci & OJ still on good terms
58 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy