Enable RCS On Any Carrier With Google Messages App

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+57  101
42 comments @hiphop
most viewed right now
196 comments @hiphop

section  x3   |  2 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

2 weeks ago '08        #1
2187 page views
51 comments

jtdatruth 
space
space
Props total: 2537 2 K  Slaps total: 281 281
Enable RCS On Any Carrier With Google Messages App

Even though it sounded like there might be some caveats, the big four US carriers recently announced that they'd finally get their act together and roll out a joint RCS system, bringing modern messaging to US customers sometime next year. Too little, too late, carriers. Earlier today, some folks figured out how to forcibly enable RCS on seemingly any recent phone here in the US via Google's Messages app. At first, it sounded too good to be true, but in our own testing, it works.

Thanks to the folks at the /r/UniversalProfile subreddit for figuring out the steps required

Prerequisites

There are just a handful of steps required to get RCS working on your phone, but you will need to be running the latest version of Google's Messages app (also available on APK Mirror, if you need it). Note that some are only seeing success with the Beta version of the app. If you don't want to opt-in to the beta, you can download it over at APK Mirror.

You'll also need to have Activity Launcher installed so we can use it to flip a flag in the Messages app.

The process below can take as little as 3-5 minutes ó longer if you run into any issues. I'd advise setting aside at least ten minutes or so, and try to have these instructions open on another device so you don't have to constantly switch between apps to read them.

Once you've got the latest versions of both apps installed, just follow the steps below on the phone you'd like to enable RCS on. Also note that there may be other prerequisites we aren't yet aware of, should any of the options or settings required for setup not appear for you

Instructions

On the phone you'd like to enable RCS for, do the following:

1. Turn off Wi-Fi (it can interfere with the setup).

2. Open the Activity Launcher app.

3. Tap the drop-down menu at the top of the screen, select "All activities

4. Scroll down to "Messages," tap it.

5. In the Messages sub-list, scroll to "Set RCS Flags," tap it.

6. In the screen that opens, tap the drop-down menu below "ACS Url" and tap the option named "http://rcs-acs-prod-us.sandbox.google.com."

7. Tap "Apply" at the bottom of the list.

8. Open the multitasking/recents menu and clear the Messages app from your recent apps

9. Open Messages, you should have a banner at the bottom of the screen ó something along the lines of "New! See when friends are typing" ó prompting you to set up RCS/Chat for Messages.

10. Tap "Upgrade Now" in that banner and follow the setup process, it should complete within a few minutes

My phone had some issues during the setup process when trying to verify my phone number. Though Google's 2FA key was received via SMS, Messages didn't want to read it. If that happens and RCS doesn't start working for you (and you can check if the setup completed correctly via the three-dot menu in the corner of Messages -> Settings -> Chat features -> Any warning on the top of this screen) there are some troubleshooting steps you can follow

Troubleshooting

Try the following steps if you run into issues:

1. Swipe the Messages app out of memory in your multitasking/recents menu and open it again.

2. Reboot your phone.

3. Clear app data for "Carrier Services."
-However you access "All Apps" in your version of Android (sometimes Settings -> Apps -> All Apps), find "Carrier Services" and clear the app's data (sometimes in a "Storage" sub-menu).

4. Re-do steps 1-6 in the "Instructions" section above, but set the "OPT Pattern" in the "Set RCS Flags" menu to "Your\sMessenger\sverification\scode\sis\sG-(\d{6})" in the drop-down menu, then continue again from step 7.

We've tested the steps above on a Pixel 4 on T-Mobile and a carrier-branded OnePlus 7 Pro on T-Mobile. Other reports from our readers and elsewhere indicate general support here in the 'states across a wide range of carriers and devices, effectively bypassing the carriers in enabling RCS via Google.

There's a decent chance that this avenue for enabling RCS wasn't meant to be user-facing, so Google could disable or remove it at any time. Still, right now, you can get RCS via Google's Jibe in Messages without any stupid carrier restrictions ó and that's all anyone has been asking for.

Thanks: Adam, Tyler, Robert, Danny, Justin, Joseph, Starks, and everyone who sent this in

Source:

visit this link https://www.androidpolice .. mpression=true

Thereís pictures in the source link showing the steps if itís easier for you than following the written instructions.
+5   

best
worst
51 comments

2 weeks ago '17        #2
justin747  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 86094 86 K  Slaps total: 9111 9 K

Yo this sh*t actually worked for me. Pixel 2 on T-Mobile
@ you see this?
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #3
Y.G. 
space
space
space
Props total: 22099 22 K  Slaps total: 3109 3 K
 justin747 said

@ you see this?
I can't verify because I have Sprint and it's had RCS enabled for years now. @ is it that time???

Side note: If this sh*t works, what tha fock was Google waiting on?
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #4
TonyCartagena 
space
space
space
Props total: 37934 37 K  Slaps total: 5258 5 K
Will This Work On My Note 10+?
+1   

2 weeks ago '11        #5
CrossRoads99 
space
space
Props total: 1313 1 K  Slaps total: 234 234
worked like a charm for me on pixel 2XL tmob gang. buddy and i been testing it out.. it can now send HD videos through the texts no issues, can see if a text was read, and can see when someone is typing. I really only care about sending videos HD lol can care less about the rest
+5   

2 weeks ago '05        #6
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 TonyCartagena said
Will This Work On My Note 10+?
Try it and see.

@ it worked on my sister's Moto G6 on T-Mobile. Android messaging finally leaving the Stone Age.
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #7
TonyCartagena 
space
space
space
Props total: 37934 37 K  Slaps total: 5258 5 K
 Y.G. said
Try it and see.

@ it worked on my sister's Moto G6 on T-Mobile. Android messaging finally leaving the Stone Age.

2 weeks ago '08        #8
Chedda  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 53871 53 K  Slaps total: 2866 2 K
 Y.G. said
I can't verify because I have Sprint and it's had RCS enabled for years now. @ is it that time???

Side note: If this sh*t works, what tha fock was Google waiting on?
Wasnt really Googles fault. Android works on a myriad of different devices unlike the iPhone. All those manufactures and the add then different carriers, it was a clusterfu*k.

2 weeks ago '05        #9
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 Chedda said
Wasnt really Googles fault. Android works on a myriad of different devices unlike the iPhone. All those manufactures and the add then different carriers, it was a clusterfu*k.
Um, no.

The same way people with Android devices from different OEMs on different carriers are now able to enable RCS, Google could have forced this update years ago. They own Jibe, it's their cloud. The only thing stopping them then and now is themselves.
+2   

2 weeks ago '11        #10
Slingy 
space
space
Props total: 6709 6 K  Slaps total: 1437 1 K
i might fk around and go back to an android once they smooth all this out and have it playing well with iphones.
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #11
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 Slingy said
i might fk around and go back to an android once they smooth all this out and have it playing well with iphones.
RCS won't be on iOS until Apple enables it. Has nothing to do with Google or Android.

2 weeks ago '06        #12
LYTE 
space
space
space
Props total: 12090 12 K  Slaps total: 1166 1 K
Guess mines is acting up

2 weeks ago '04        #13
class01 
space
space
space
Props total: 345 345  Slaps total: 58 58
New features didn't pop up for me. I'll probably try again later today

2 weeks ago '16        #14
stop it 5 
space
space
Props total: 9776 9 K  Slaps total: 9131 9 K
imagine having to do all this just to get decent messaging

IOS>>>>>>
+6   

2 weeks ago '08        #15
jtdatruth  OP
space
space
Props total: 2537 2 K  Slaps total: 281 281
 LYTE said
Guess mines is acting up

Are you using the messages beta app?

2 weeks ago '07        #16
21  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 90805 90 K  Slaps total: 22983 22 K
I'm good. Not doing any extra sh*t to get it. We'll get it eventually.

I probably already have it on Sprint but I can't give up Textra. Plus I believe it would only work with other people that have Sprint. Which isn't that many.
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #17
Ushouldpayme 
space
space
Props total: 846 846  Slaps total: 149 149
What is the purpose of this RCS? It's just messaging right?

2 weeks ago '05        #18
Y.G. 
space
space
space
 21 said
I'm good. Not doing any extra sh*t to get it. We'll get it eventually.

I probably already have it on Sprint but I can't give up Textra. Plus I believe it would only work with other people that have Sprint. Which isn't that many.
You're right, it's already enabled on Sprint. It works with all carriers though. You have to use Samsung Messages or Google Messages though. High quality pics and videos makes it worth it for me.
+1   

2 weeks ago '12        #19
iamsweets 
space
space
Props total: 8136 8 K  Slaps total: 728 728
Worked for me with OnePlus 7 pro on At&t

2 weeks ago '17        #20
Thierry Henry 
space
space
Props total: 4739 4 K  Slaps total: 190 190
 justin747 said

@ you see this?
I got a Pixel 2 as well, on T Mobile.

Might fu*k around and finally stop using Textra
+2   

2 weeks ago '06        #21
LYTE 
space
space
space
 jtdatruth said
Are you using the messages beta app?
Yea
Wouldn't the recipient need to be using RCS as well?

2 weeks ago '05        #22
P-Hill|M 
space
space
Props total: 20910 20 K  Slaps total: 1659 1 K
I'm connected
+2   

2 weeks ago '11        #23
CrossRoads99 
space
space
Props total: 1313 1 K  Slaps total: 234 234
 LYTE said
Yea
Wouldn't the recipient need to be using RCS as well?
Yes, but that's any iPhone user, and anyone else obviously that has done this.

2 weeks ago '05        #24
P-Hill|M 
space
space
Props total: 20910 20 K  Slaps total: 1659 1 K
 Ushouldpayme said
What is the purpose of this RCS? It's just messaging right?
Allows typing indicators, read and delivery reports, and high quality media
+2   

2 weeks ago '06        #25
LYTE 
space
space
space
 CrossRoads99 said
Yes, but that's any iPhone user, and anyone else obviously that has done this.
It's weird, at 1 point I a*sumed it was on when I was texting via t mobile to t mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+25online now  27
Video inside Abandoned Japanese Billionaire 200,000,000 Mansion w/ Everything Left B..
58 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  23
Whats your top 8 films of 2019 so far?
64 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+46online now  11
Image(s) inside KFC was out here wildn back in the day