Boxden Member says when eating out tip 20% no matter what...good service or bad!

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section wild 'ish

1 week ago '10        #1
488 page views
23 comments

BlaccThoughtz  11 heat pts11
space
space
$907   Props total: 768 768
Boxden Member says when eating out tip 20% no matter what...good service or bad!

Poor service? You still have to tip 20 percent, no matter what. image

When deciding how much to tip, ask yourself: Do I get paid less if I’m having an off day at work?
When deciding how much to tip, ask yourself: Do I get paid less if I’m having an off day at work?

Tipping is not about you.
When eating out at a restaurant, many diners believe that they should tip on a sliding scale based on the service they receive — good or bad.
In keeping score, the scale may go something like this: Having to constantly ask for the water glass to be refilled? A deduction of one percentage point. Receiving the appetizer after the entree with no apologies? Three percentage points off the tip.
Can I be honest and convict myself?
I was on the side of the sliding-scale crowd. I tip, always. However, I hate the tipping system in America because it’s not about rewarding someone for superior service. It’s about guilt-tripping patrons to pay up.

How much to tip when the service is bad

Employers — either to increase their profit margins or out of concern they will lose business because of higher prices — force customers to supplement their employees’ wages with tips.
But the price of my meal should include what it takes for the company to make a fair profit and pay its workers a living wage.
I’d rather pay more for my meal than deal with the discomfort of having to decide how much to tip based on my opinion of a job well done — or not.
When people do not tip appropriately, they can be skewered publicly, which is what happened recently when a New Jersey lawmaker went on Twitter to humiliate a customer who left a 74-cent tip on a $119.26 tab. In his defense, the customer said the service was awful.

I discussed this in a previous column, which garnered so much response that I asked Washington Post food reporter and columnist Tim Carman what he thought about gauging gratuity based on the service you receive.
Q: How should diners tip when they get poor service for whatever reason?
Carman: I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding about tipping in America. Diners have been led to believe that tipping should be based on the quality of the service. But this is not the reason we tip. We tip because restaurateurs in America have shifted the burden of paying for some of their labor costs to diners. So when you don’t tip, it affects the wages of servers.
Q: Really, you shouldn’t deduct from the tip when you’ve received subpar service?
Carman: I think diners need to ask themselves a basic question: Do you get paid when you’re having an off day? When you’re not at your best? When you’re in a bad mood?
What’s more, waiting tables is hard work, and servers are only human. They may be having troubles at home, or they may be worried about a loved one. Or maybe they’re just spacing out. Who among us has not done that at our desks?
Q: Why should customers have to correct bad service?
Carman: It’s a tough situation. People want to feel indulged when they’re dining out. That’s part of the reason we go out to eat, to feel pampered for a while, to live in a world where everyone caters to our needs for an hour or two.
Ad
Separate checks and tipping decisions can set off distasteful round of judgment

I think part of the problem is that diners don’t always realize they can exercise more control at the table. If the server is doing something that they don’t like — or not doing something they want — they should just break the spell at the table and tell the server. Just say, politely, “I would like my water glass filled regularly.” Or, “These entrees came out at the same time as our appetizers, can you send them back to the kitchen so we can enjoy a coursed-out meal?” Or whatever the problem is.
Most servers, I think, will respond better to a kind request at the table than a complaint behind their back.
I know it’s hard. Many people don’t like to be confrontational or even be perceived as confrontational. Plus, they think servers should just know what to do, at all times. But they get busy and distracted, and diners can help them get back on track with a gentle request.

But if the service doesn’t get better, I would ask the manager to switch out servers. A good restaurant will do that.
Q: So, once and for all, what is the appropriate tip at the table — for now at least?
Carman: Bottom line: Diners should always tip 20 percent. Always.
If the service is terrific, you should add more to the tip. But never subtract from the 20 percent.
Carman won me over.
Like it or not, tipping isn’t about me — or you. It’s simply a responsibility placed on all diners in this country. And you need to factor that in as the full cost of dining out.
Readers may write to Michelle Singletary at The Washington Post, 1301 K St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20071 or michelle.singletary@washpost.com. To read previous Color of Money columns, go to wapo.st/michelle-singletary.
Ad

visit this link https://www.washingtonpos .. 31d_story.html

Last edited by BlaccThoughtz; 10-12-2019 at 08:28 PM..

best
worst
23 comments

1 week ago '16        #2
BlueGold  18 heat pts18
space
space
$1,448   Props total: 9638 9638
I tip 20% no matter what. Sometimes it’s not the servers fault so no need to punish them for the kitchen fu*king up

Plus they working for like $2 an hour

Plus everybody has a bad day once in a while you never know what situation is
+1   

1 week ago '16        #3
BobbiHeadRagTop  64 heat pts64
space
space
$9,036   Props total: 39696 39696

+3   

1 week ago '10        #4
Bandito  308 heat pts308
space
space
space
$10,633   Props total: 29173 29173
 BlueGold said
I tip 20% no matter what. Sometimes it’s not the servers fault so no need to punish them for the kitchen fu*king up

It varies from state to state.

I live in Oregon and employers have to pay servers at least minimum wage. I know in some states they can pay less and the wage difference is supposed to be made up with tips.

So, when I tip here it is a "bonus" on top of their regular pay. A lot of places take tips and throw it in a pot and it is divided among servers and the people in the kitchen. If the food is good and the service sucks, do you don't tip and punish the people that made your food for poor service of your waiter or waitress?

Things would be a lot easier if those states that allowed employers to pay less than minimum wage would stop that. Then, everyone would be on the same page on what tipping is.
+2   

1 week ago '19        #5
hoesloveflaxsee 
space
space
$566   Props total: 3074 3074
'n*ggaAAaaa pleaseeeeee'
+1   

1 week ago '06        #6
detroitdipset  1 heat pts1
space
space
$1,271   Props total: 2245 2245
20% should be the minimum as long as the person is nice and has good intentions.
+3   

1 week ago '17        #7
justin747  53 heat pts53
space
space
$16,101   Props total: 82044 82044
I pretty much always tip 20% no matter what. I rarely ever get bad service either cause I treat my waiter/waitress well.

If you treat the wait staff like people instead of servants, they will generally take good care of you. Also be courteous of these people's time. Don't show up to a restaurant 5 minutes before they close and expect 5-star service. Also don't be that group sitting at your table for 3 hours instead of leaving.
+3   

1 week ago '13        #8
jrockex 
space
space
$801   Props total: 3270 3270
i got an email from my credit card company the other day, asking me if i meant to tip 36% to dominos

i got worried for a second and then i look and its $4
+6   

1 week ago '19        #9
sinsay 
space
space
space
$206   Props total: 612 612
fu*k naw. I worked in the service industry. I HATED other coworkers who felt like they just DESERVED a tip. fu*k them, I worked my a*s off and went above and beyond every single shift to get my tips. If you're walkin around with a sh*t attitude, not providin guests that EXTRA energy/vibe, then why in the hell would they tip you? You're literally just doin the bare minimum, and therefore shouldn't get paid jack sh*t but the minimum. Usually tipping positions are people that can control the mood, if you're not goin out of your way to make that mood the sh*t then fu*k a tip.
In the same token, fu*k a guest who comes in thinkin they deserve the world but treat the service staff like sh*t and don't tip. Those type of people should be followed when they leave and pushed down the nearest flight of stairs

+7   

7 days ago '17        #10
Kingz2  1 heat pts1
space
space
space
$5,997   Props total: 15945 15945
I’m all in favor of the restaurants paying their employees a fair wage
+11   

7 days ago '16        #11
BobbiHeadRagTop  64 heat pts64
space
space
$9,036   Props total: 39696 39696
 Kingz2 said
I’m all in favor of the restaurants paying their employees a fair wage
This.
+2   

7 days ago '15        #12
Mystic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
space
$16,779   Props total: 41939 41939
In Atlanta servers get paid minimum wage if they make less than that in tips EVERY hour EVERY day(if they don't 's their dumbasss fault for not going to whoever you go to in Atlanta when your boss ain't paying you right) so I don't tip good service or not(if people who risks their lives every day get paid around the same as you with no tip, why do you need a tip?)

7 days ago '14        #13
thossr 
space
space
space
$5   Props total: 52 52
 Mystic said
In Atlanta servers get paid minimum wage if they make less than that in tips EVERY hour EVERY day(if they don't 's their dumbasss fault for not going to whoever you go to in Atlanta when your boss ain't paying you right) so I don't tip good service or not(if people who risks their lives every day get paid around the same as you with no tip, why do you need a tip?)
Why do you need to eat out?

7 days ago '15        #14
Mystic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
space
$16,779   Props total: 41939 41939
 thossr said
Why do you need to eat out?
i don't
+3   

7 days ago '16        #15
mobchip  5 heat pts5
space
space
$3,242   Props total: 6389 6389
I tip like 25%-27% percent. I hate going to restaurants knowing that the waiter/waitress is not getting tipped well cause I get stuck with lousy service. fu*k you guys for that. I am out recently with my little brother and my fam, and we trying to have a good time before my brother gets sent out to Japan for three years.

So can you do me a favor and give out a good tip when you eat out? Thanks.

7 days ago '17        #16
Kingz2  1 heat pts1
space
space
space
$5,997   Props total: 15945 15945
 mobchip said
I tip like 25%-27% percent. I hate going to restaurants knowing that the waiter/waitress is not getting tipped well cause I get stuck with lousy service. fu*k you guys for that. I am out recently with my little brother and my fam, and we trying to have a good time before my brother gets sent out to Japan for three years.

So can you do me a favor and give out a good tip when you eat out? Thanks.
We can all tip 25% make it the norm and they will still give sh*tty service bc the money is already guaranteed. So it wouldn’t make a difference
+3   

7 days ago '15        #17
216atlran 
space
space
$1,517   Props total: 5755 5755
 Mystic said
Then go to McDonald’s

6 days ago '17        #18
FCWGM  1 heat pts1
space
space
space
$158   Props total: 546 546
 BlueGold said

Brah they chose this job they should be prepared everyday to put on a fake smile and act nice no matter what.....

And they don't get paid $2
If they don't make min wage the owner has to cover the difference

And at my job if I have a bad day I get written up and get one step close to getting fired
+3   

6 days ago '04        #19
JCarter703  4 heat pts4
space
space
$3,427   Props total: 1071 1071
I tip whatever the fu*k I wanna tip at that time. fu*kin werdios worried about somebody elses pockets.
+2   

6 days ago '17        #20
FCWGM  1 heat pts1
space
space
space
$158   Props total: 546 546
Did you tip your lawyer when he spanked the sh*t out that case?.....

Did you tip your mechanic for being fast with your car repair?.....

Did you tip the n*gga at McDonald's who was nice as fu*k to you and got your order fast and correct?.....

THE ONLY THING YOU DO BY TIPPING TELLING RESTAURANT OWNERS "NAW IT'S OKAY WE WILL PAY FOR OUR FOOD AND YOUR EMPLOYEES WAGES, NO PROBLEM!"
+4   

6 days ago '18        #21
Proffesor X  45 heat pts45
space
space
$5,868   Props total: 22684 22684
Universal rule is you pay for the service you receive, nobody has ever endorsed tipping for sh*tty service if you want to be a low life piece of sh*t that's your business, but don't pretend like its some honorable cause
+1   

6 days ago '11        #22
SteffDub 
space
space
space
$1,271   Props total: 4754 4754
 FCWGM said
Did you tip your lawyer when he spanked the sh*t out that case?.....

Did you tip your mechanic for being fast with your car repair?.....

Did you tip the n*gga at McDonald's who was nice as fu*k to you and got your order fast and correct?.....

THE ONLY THING YOU DO BY TIPPING TELLING RESTAURANT OWNERS "NAW IT'S OKAY WE WILL PAY FOR OUR FOOD AND YOUR EMPLOYEES WAGES, NO PROBLEM!"
How can anyone dispute this ?????
+3   

6 days ago '16        #23
BlueGold  18 heat pts18
space
space
$1,448   Props total: 9638 9638
 FCWGM said
Brah they chose this job they should be prepared everyday to put on a fake smile and act nice no matter what.....

And they don't get paid $2
If they don't make min wage the owner has to cover the difference

And at my job if I have a bad day I get written up and get one step close to getting fired
You clearly have never worked in the service industry bruh

6 days ago '05        #24
rashcobar  15 heat pts15
space
space
$14,134   Props total: 6514 6514
 BlueGold said
You clearly have never worked in the service industry bruh
I’ve worked in McDonald’s...fu*k a tip.
+3   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+485online now  47
Image(s) inside How I make 4K+ a month 100% LEGALLY doing barely anything(if i'm lying..
233 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+23online now  43
Image(s) inside You guys were right about The Game
298 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  41
The first real photo of a PlayStation 5 dev kit appears
69 comments
20 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
online now  18
Image(s) inside REAL LIFE EPIDEMIC: CORPORATE AMERICA Is Now EXPLOTING BLACKS GANG CUL..
85 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy