Question for the car homies...swapping motors?

most viewed right now
+39  93
107 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section rides

1 week ago '16        #1
262 page views
20 comments

Almightyvsop  3 heat pts3
space
space
$2,163 | Props total: 9842 9842
Question for the car homies...swapping motors?

Looking into buying a 1986 Monte Carlo LS “shell”. Body solid no rust, looking for a project to invest in and create some sentimental value. Always been a dream to get G-body and hook it up.

since the car is a shell without the stock 305 v8 innit, I wanna put in the LM7 5.3 Vortec engine with 133k miles from a 2000 Silverado/Sierra 1500 in the engine bay. imageCause I don’t wanna have a carbureted motor cuz they are a bi*ch to start in the cold and I don’t wanna smell gasoline coming thru the vent. I just got want direct fuel injection.

My question is that before I put the motor in, I wanna install headers(obviously for 2000 Silverado 1500) but I wanna what exhaust system will I have to get to fit the headers of the 5.3 from the Silverado?

Will I have to get custom exhaust system? Cuz I obviously I know the exhaust for a 2000 Silverado won’t fit in a 86 monte.. Or can I get a exhaust system for my year and figure out how to make it work?

Any oldie enthusiasts that has done motor swaps give any and all advice!
+3   

best
worst
20 comments

1 week ago '18        #2
LuxuriousGreen  4 heat pts4
space
space
$1,118 | Props total: 2913 2913
I had a 1985 Monte Carlo SS & i was advised by a car shop To do the same swap because you can get a lot of power from the Silverado/Tahoe motor . From my understanding the headers would need so fitting. I don’t remember what part of the car caused the headers to not fit but I remember looking on forums & some people said they just used a hammer on the passenger header to make a indent for the fitting.
+1   

1 week ago '18        #3
space
space

I loved that car. Fast as hell with the 305 in it once you tweaked the air/fuel ratio on the carburetor & swapped to a bigger carb
+3   

1 week ago '05        #4
Fresh  1037 heat pts1037
space
space
$45,712 | Props total: 38163 38163
 LuxuriousGreen said
I had a 1985 Monte Carlo SS & i was advised by a car shop To do the same swap because you can get a lot of power from the Silverado/Tahoe motor . From my understanding the headers would need so fitting. I don’t remember what part of the car caused the headers to not fit but I remember looking on forums & some people said they just used a hammer on the passenger header to make a indent for the fitting.
.....I Believe You Talking About The Frame Rail Not Letting It Sit with The Headers. Its The Passenger Side Thats A Headache.

As For The Exhaust That The OP Is Asking About, Depends What Kind of Headers You Running With & What Kind of Sound You Want.
+1   

1 week ago '18        #5
space
space
 Fresh said
.....I Believe You Talking About The Frame Rail Not Letting It Sit with The Headers. Its The Passenger Side Thats A Headache.

As For The Exhaust That The OP Is Asking About, Depends What Kind of Headers You Running With & What Kind of Sound You Want.
Thank you, props
+1   

1 week ago '16        #6
Almightyvsop  3 heat pts3 OP
space
space
 LuxuriousGreen said
I had a 1985 Monte Carlo SS & i was advised by a car shop To do the same swap because you can get a lot of power from the Silverado/Tahoe motor . From my understanding the headers would need so fitting. I donít remember what part of the car caused the headers to not fit but I remember looking on forums & some people said they just used a hammer on the passenger header to make a indent for the fitting.

Fresh said

Man I love yíall bruh I thought I wouldnít get any feedback lmao

That SS clean as a bi*ch too.

Yea big bruh, a partner of mine gotta cutlass Calais that he swapped the stock 267 out of and placed a 350 or 366 from a C10 in it and it gave me the idea to get a truck/suv motor for the power. I asked him what did he have to do but he just paid money to have it installed and hooked up. I wanna be a lil More hands on with this project.

Iím just confused cuz I want that aggressive deep tone I just wanna make sure I got the right pieces for the setup.

This my first build Iím undertake myself. Even gonna attempt to sand, prep, prime and paint it burgundy with some silver flake in it 15in Dayton with the knockoffs. Some real cruiser looking sh*t with power.

Iíll show yíall the parts Iíve been looking at.

Iím not savvy enough to what exhaust to get that fit those headers with this motor

Only thing I thought I could do is to get a custom exhaust bent and fitted to match the setup I want.

Iím just researching everything so when itís time to get busy I gotta Solid game plan
+1   

1 week ago '18        #7
space
space
 Almightyvsop said
Man I love yíall bruh I thought I wouldnít get any feedback lmao

That SS clean as a bi*ch too.

Yea big bruh, a partner of mine gotta cutlass Calais that he swapped the stock 267 out of and placed a 350 or 366 from a C10 in it and it gave me the idea to get a truck/suv motor for the power. I asked him what did he have to do but he just paid money to have it installed and hooked up. I wanna be a lil More hands on with this project.

Iím just confused cuz I want that aggressive deep tone I just wanna make sure I got the right pieces for the setup.

This my first build Iím undertake myself. Even gonna attempt to sand, prep, prime and paint it burgundy with some silver flake in it 15in Dayton with the knockoffs. Some real cruiser looking sh*t with power.

Iíll show yíall the parts Iíve been looking at.

Iím not savvy enough to what exhaust to get that fit those headers with this motor

Only thing I thought I could do is to get a custom exhaust bent and fitted to match the setup I want.

Iím just researching everything so when itís time to get busy I gotta Solid game plan
Your plan sounds solid & I remember Gibson headers being great headers. Your going to have a aggressive sound especially with shortys, & I would straight pipe the exhaust. Online people said donít do it but I did & I loved it.

1 week ago '16        #8
space
space
 LuxuriousGreen said
Your plan sounds solid & I remember Gibson headers being great headers. Your going to have a aggressive sound especially with shortys, & I would straight pipe the exhaust. Online people said donít do it but I did & I loved it.
Isnít straight piping expensive to do since itís a custom job and would I have to get my engine retuned? Did your horsepower jump up by taking the catalytic converter and muffler off since you got the exhaust running straight from the headers?

And how loud of a tone we talking bout? Can I get by without getting disturbing the peace complaints in the neighborhood? Cuz I never thought about the straight pipes, what was the total price of doing the straight pipe job?

I honestly donít know if I can do it here cuz we got yearly vehicle inspections in VA and I donít theyíll pass me not having the cat-converter and muffler. But Iím definitely intrigued
+1   

1 week ago '18        #9
space
space
 Almightyvsop said
Isnít straight piping expensive to do since itís a custom job and would I have to get my engine retuned? Did your horsepower jump up by taking the catalytic converter and muffler off since you got the exhaust running straight from the headers?

And how loud of a tone we talking bout? Can I get by without getting disturbing the peace complaints in the neighborhood? Cuz I never thought about the straight pipes, what was the total price of doing the straight pipe job?

I honestly donít know if I can do it here cuz we got yearly vehicle inspections in VA and I donít theyíll pass me not having the cat-converter and muffler. But Iím definitely intrigued
My local muffler shop did it for $150, the most expensive part was labor because pipes arenít expensive about $20 for 2/3 feet on summit racing but the shop had the pipes already.

It was a nice grumble on the Monte after the job, it was a louder than a SRT Charger(the generation before the one we are currently on) I never got a disturbance ticket.

I noticed a difference in power. Especially when I raced on the freeway. I peeled my tires all the time because the power was right there at the pedal.

I couldnít drive in the rain because it was unbearable with how much the tires would spin & scary at freeway speeds because I could peel the tires at 60mph.

With the straight pipes I was able to hang in races with the c5 corvettes stock, Pontiac GTOís with mild engine work, any camaro, any dodge 392 charger/challenger stock.
+1   

1 week ago '04        #10
JayR04  132 heat pts132
space
space
$12,118 | Props total: 10003 10003
#Gbodygang

+4   

7 days ago '16        #11
space
space
 JayR04 said
#Gbodygang

That bi*ch clean as a motherfu*ka. What motor you running?
+1   

6 days ago '04        #12
JayR04  132 heat pts132
space
space
 Almightyvsop said
That bi*ch clean as a motherfu*ka. What motor you running?
Stock

Runs good though
+1   

3 days ago '16        #13
space
space
 JayR04 said
Stock

Runs good though
If itís the stock 305 beef that bi*ch up
+1   

2 days ago '04        #14
JayR04  132 heat pts132
space
space
 Almightyvsop said
If itís the stock 305 beef that bi*ch up
My mechanic be tryna talk me into a super or turbo charger. Forgot which one. And also upgrade the carb. But I feel like if I do all that for an old engine, I might as well go all the way with an engine swap

2 days ago '17        #15
Naga Sadow  62 heat pts62
space
space
$14,885 | Props total: 64113 64113
I swapped an LS3 into my old Miata. Small block motors are great because it's a tiny motor, puts out great power for its size, is very reliable, you can find one for cheap along with the harnesses and ecu's and any other auxiliary components, and they run off of regular gas. You can go to pull a part and easily find a decent 350 or 6.0L for under $1k.

2 days ago '16        #16
space
space
 JayR04 said
My mechanic be tryna talk me into a super or turbo charger. Forgot which one. And also upgrade the carb. But I feel like if I do all that for an old engine, I might as well go all the way with an engine swap
Iím wit you on that bruh if I gotta do all that Iíd just upgrade and go bigger. Lot of them upgrades Iíd do on a new block and swap
+1   

2 days ago '16        #17
space
space
 Naga Sadow said
I swapped an LS3 into my old Miata. Small block motors are great because it's a tiny motor, puts out great power for its size, is very reliable, you can find one for cheap along with the harnesses and ecu's and any other auxiliary components, and they run off of regular gas. You can go to pull a part and easily find a decent 350 or 6.0L for under $1k.
You just blew my mind...how the hell you get that sh*t fit in the bay? That ls3 a 6.0L or bigger? Iím pretty sure that sh*t was a rocket.

2 days ago '17        #18
space
space
 Almightyvsop said
You just blew my mind...how the hell you get that sh*t fit in the bay? That ls3 a 6.0L or bigger? Iím pretty sure that sh*t was a rocket.
It's not as hard as you think is actually quite common. All you have to do is move the motor mount brackets and it fits in the engine bay just fine. The LS3 is very compact and people have put larger motors in the Miata.

7 hrs ago '16        #19
space
space
 Naga Sadow said
It's not as hard as you think is actually quite common. All you have to do is move the motor mount brackets and it fits in the engine bay just fine. The LS3 is very compact and people have put larger motors in the Miata.

I never knew people wanted to put a engine like that in a Miata.

Muscle car and imports is real segregated round here lol

I canít remember but did you say you were putting the Miata on drag or was it a project car

7 hrs ago '17        #20
space
space
 Almightyvsop said

I never knew people wanted to put a engine like that in a Miata.

Muscle car and imports is real segregated round here lol

I canít remember but did you say you were putting the Miata on drag or was it a project car
It was just a project and a stupid one at that. That thing was so uncontrollable. I took it took a race track once and all it did was spin out. Thank goodness a friend bought it off me.

3 hrs ago '12        #21
SwizZy  76 heat pts76
space
space
$4,165 | Props total: 3669 3669
Longtubes for the headers for best performance and x pipe for best exhaust sound imo

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  27
Video inside MIA KHALIFA on BBC NEWS
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+111online now  25
Image(s) inside Flyest reeboks since 'the answer'
77 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+26online now  15
Video inside If you donít laugh during the first 1:12 of this video....
22 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+73online now  13
Sep 17 - Georgia man shot and killed 3 masked teens as they tried to rob him a..
346 comments
1 day ago
@news
register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy