Samuel L. Jackson Responds to Martin Scorseseís Marvel Comments

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 weeks ago '17        #51
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
$19,358   Props total: 41292 41292
 CJ Schwarz said
Scorsese use to get flack for his movies being gore fest, vulgar, and over the top. It kept him from getting an Oscar. People still likes his films and praised him.

Does he have a point with saying that the focus of MCU and big budgeted superhero films is more about action/CGI and less about the acting, we'll yes; however, they're geared towards whole families and need to master a balance. That is actually difficult to do, to entertain a 5 year old to a young adult, and to a 30 to 50 year old aged parent.

Also, film evolves. At one point people thought adding talking to movies cheapened the "cinema" experience, but people enjoyed it better.
Film evolves because it gets challenged by people like Scorsese
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #52
space
space
 GodBody said
Itís a fu*king comic book movie! A movie that is not made for Scorese or his idiotic elitist butt head fans. I saw The God Father and Gangs of NY but I enjoyed Paid in Full and New Jack City more. These elitist f*gs would turn their noses up at that purely because they canít wrap their minds around that fact that all Art (including cinema) is subjective. MCU knows exactly who they are and thatís why they win. End of story.
Why the hell would elitists turn their nose up at Paid In Full and New Jack City? You emotional nerds need to stop crying about this sh*t

2 weeks ago '17        #53
space
space
 GodBody said
I Do take it slightly personal because Iíve ventured off into indie film making and have found this elitist nose in the air mentality at most film festivals and market places Iíve been to. And usually itís always made by two types: The old guard who enjoyed films back when it was a rich mans game and film makers who were of a certain complexion. Or the salty DCEU fans that are just looking at any and everything to sh*t on MCU fans. Personally my issue is not with Scorese per say as much as it is with that attitude that film makers and fans like him have.
Are you saying salty DCEU fans that hate the MCU are elitists? fu*k outta here with this lying a*s post.

2 weeks ago '17        #54
space
space
 Poncho520 said
Says scorcese

Godfather Pt One.

Most racist line in movie history.

Internal Affairs > The Departed
This is a Francis Ford Copola movie
+3   

2 weeks ago '14        #55
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
$38,080   Props total: 95922 95922
 Poncho520 said
Says scorcese

Godfather Pt One.

Most racist line in movie history.

Internal Affairs > The Departed
thats how those mafia guys actually were though

it was an accurate depiction of their racist views..

doesn't mean the director himself was trying to project his own thoughts into that ..

and its a Francis Ford Coppola movie
+3   

2 weeks ago '17        #56
space
space
 Lupe Hunter said
Art is art while Martin is a legend

Movies have no rules if the performance is great movie is great with great dialogue along with the way it looks is amazing then you should reward for that. Donít turn your nose up n*gga because dude has a mafia fetish and slick with the racist dialogue about black people in almost all his movies.

Like donít act people canít just hit google and learn about the ďrealĒ story of these people from the mafia he makes, Or the real wolf of Wall Street story. Donít turn your nose up because people are going to theaters to watch hero Movies and theyíre making billions. Make your movies and get the fu*k outta dodge not like they not giving him big budget money or offers.

Art is Art thereís no rules to Art. As long as movie is creative and has character development, dialogue and performance then it should be reward
What is this racist dialogue you guys keep attaching to Scorsese?

Also, he has a lot more than just gangsta films. Instead of bi*ching about his comments, you guys shouldíve taken the time to actually watch his films and even learn more about Martin Scorsese himself than a*sume heís some sort of evil racist gatekeeper. What Scorsese said is important to cinema period. Thereís no reason for Marvel films to be largely devoid of emotional depth and human complexity, seeing that the source material is rich with it. Theyíre making these movies with a safe formula that is not satisfying for multiple viewings. I personally need these movies done better if they want me to continue to support it.

2 weeks ago '17        #57
Petieparker  6 heat pts6
space
space
$2,911   Props total: 9577 9577
 CJ Schwarz said
Scorsese use to get flack for his movies being gore fest, vulgar, and over the top. It kept him from getting an Oscar. People still likes his films and praised him.

Does he have a point with saying that the focus of MCU and big budgeted superhero films is more about action/CGI and less about the acting, we'll yes; however, they're geared towards whole families and need to master a balance. That is actually difficult to do, to entertain a 5 year old to a young adult, and to a 30 to 50 year old aged parent.

Also, film evolves. At one point people thought adding talking to movies cheapened the "cinema" experience, but people enjoyed it better.
Silent film directors sh*tted on cinema when they added dialogue to film. If people study the history of cinema they would see directors like Spielberg and Martin got criticized by the older generation. Itís a new day and age. He got a right to his opinion but he basically sh*tted on filmmakers hard work by writing all these films off as ďtheme parkĒ. I mean Black Panther had more social commentary I can relate than a lot of his film that generally depict Black characters on the short end of the stick.

And before claim I donít know cinema fu*k out of here. Taxi Driver one of my top 5 films of all-time so Iím clearly a fan of his work. Heís one of my favorite filmmakers of all-time but he just donít get it.

2 weeks ago '17        #58
Petieparker  6 heat pts6
space
space
$2,911   Props total: 9577 9577
 SPdaGOAT said
What is this racist dialogue you guys keep attaching to Scorsese?

Also, he has a lot more than just gangsta films. Instead of bi*ching about his comments, you guys shouldíve taken the time to actually watch his films and even learn more about Martin Scorsese himself than a*sume heís some sort of evil racist gatekeeper. What Scorsese said is important to cinema period. Thereís no reason for Marvel films to be largely devoid of emotional depth and human complexity, seeing that the source material is rich with it. Theyíre making these movies with a safe formula that is not satisfying for multiple viewings. I personally need these movies done better if they want me to continue to support it.
n*gga didnít you like Aquaman and Justice League AND suicide Squad? Man shut up, your opinion donít mean sh*t if you think those are remotely entertaining.

2 weeks ago '12        #59
kiddalex  12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,103   Props total: 13993 13993
There's 1000's and 1000's of movies released a year and what ? 5 or 6 are comic films , yet it seems to make some people obsessed :

"all there are nowadays are comic movies"

Shut the fu*k up already .
+5   

2 weeks ago '17        #60
space
space
 Petieparker said
n*gga didnít you like Aquaman and Justice League AND suicide Squad? Man shut up, your opinion donít mean sh*t if you think those are remotely entertaining.
?????

Son.

I still have yet to watch Aquaman

2 weeks ago '10        #61
killinemsoftly  1 heat pts1
space
space
$1,995   Props total: 2849 2849
 d*ckhead said
Some people get emotional watching Will Ferrell and Vince Vaugn movies. Just because people get emotional watching neo-Disney movies doesnt mean theyre on the same level as Scorsese movies, let alone the really great directors. It just means the people enjoying them have simpler minds. And theres nothing essentially wrong with that.
Slapped for insulting comic book movie fans as if fans of Godfather Taxi or Goodfellas are automatically more intelligent and complex individuals.

2 weeks ago '10        #62
killinemsoftly  1 heat pts1
space
space
$1,995   Props total: 2849 2849
 6.Yrs said
Nah... u have a point.. I still feel like most of the work has already been done for these comic book dudes though. All they have to do is update the costumes to make sure the superhero ain't out here walking around lookin like a modern day Capt Crunch.

With books and movies based on real events the director still has to paint and translate a picture even though the words are already there.

All three situations are similar though.
Comic book film makers have the task of creating a fantasy world thatís rooted enough in reality to be believable in a live action film. Thatís not an easy task. Ask the makers of Batman and Robin, Green Hornet, the first 2000ís Incredible Hulk, The Amazing Spider-Man, or Fantastic Four. What Disney is able to do requires skill, technical work, and plenty planning. Letís not act like these stories just automatically translate successfully to the big screen.
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #63
CJ Schwarz  82 heat pts82
space
space
$4,514   Props total: 23825 23825
 Petieparker said
Silent film directors sh*tted on cinema when they added dialogue to film. If people study the history of cinema they would see directors like Spielberg and Martin got criticized by the older generation. Itís a new day and age. He got a right to his opinion but he basically sh*tted on filmmakers hard work by writing all these films off as ďtheme parkĒ. I mean Black Panther had more social commentary I can relate than a lot of his film that generally depict Black characters on the short end of the stick.

And before claim I donít know cinema fu*k out of here. Taxi Driver one of my top 5 films of all-time so Iím clearly a fan of his work. Heís one of my favorite filmmakers of all-time but he just donít get it.
You just validated what I said.

2 weeks ago '05        #64
Emperor85 
space
space
space
$9,451   Props total: 9936 9936
the reason why a majority of marvel films are so basic is cause Disney wants them to pass Chinese censorship.... that's why they all follow the same themes and structures... since China is the biggest film watching markets in the world... ...it's all business to Disney

2 weeks ago '16        #65
BobbiHeadRagTop  63 heat pts63
space
space
$9,032   Props total: 39682 39682
 strungout said

U can clearly see the blood comin from behind the shooter
+2   

2 weeks ago '14        #66
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
$38,080   Props total: 95922 95922
 BobbiHeadRagTop said
U can clearly see the blood comin from behind the shooter
this movie is from back in the day haha, ain't no cgi...ironically...Samuelsons best performance
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #67
Emperor85 
space
space
space
$9,451   Props total: 9936 9936
 strungout said
this movie is from back in the day haha, ain't no cgi...ironically...Samuelsons best performance
no it ain't, he has like 3 lines in the film too
+2   

2 weeks ago '06        #68
Sammyboi22  1 heat pts1
space
space
$13,926   Props total: 816 816
 6.Yrs said
Nah... u have a point.. I still feel like most of the work has already been done for these comic book dudes though. All they have to do is update the costumes to make sure the superhero ain't out here walking around lookin like a modern day Capt Crunch.

With books and movies based on real events the director still has to paint and translate a picture even though the words are already there.

All three situations are similar though.
The difference is fantasy. They are creating things no one has ever seen. Costume and set design is tough on that. Itís not hard to create an 80s apartment in the 90s. It is hard to think up a space ship interior, etc. not saying one is better than another, but the creative in these super hero movies is in the aesthetics, not necessarily the story or screenplay. You watch Scorsese to get a deep connection to the characters and dialogue, you watch avengers or Michael bay movies to see people fu*k some sh*t up.
+1   

2 weeks ago '06        #69
BigRed912  3 heat pts3
space
space
$4,689   Props total: 3298 3298
 jewelz1132 said
He's right.. That sh*t is very elitist.. These movies make billions of dollars, so people actually enjoy them, so why knock it because it isn't your thing? Apparently that puts you in the minority. Those guys get to dictate everything and people just go along with it. Awhile back wasn't there beef with Netflix and how their movies shouldn't be accepted at the Oscars? Now that Scorsese doing a Netflix movie with the actors he has, everyone will change their tune on that sh*t.
The only reason The Irishman is being released in the theaters is for award purposes. They came out and said that a while back.....

2 weeks ago '17        #70
Poncho520 
space
space
$1,474   Props total: 4170 4170
 SPdaGOAT said
This is a Francis Ford Copola movie
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #71
Fauby  32 heat pts32
space
space
$6,223   Props total: 15338 15338
 BrokenSafety said
Comic book movies k*lled films. Nothing comes out anymore besides super hero bullsh*t and garbage a*s horror movies.

All the good sh*t is tv series now. I been reading comics since i was 12 and i dont watch these comic book movies or even read them anymore im so burnt out on this sh*t

Surprised most people arent gettin tired of it yet either.
i agree with this. Comic book movies were fun to begin but Marvel went over the top with all the connected universe sh*t. i understand why they did it but i wish some of the characters had stand alone stories and i think thats why Martin was trying to touch on.

For example, All of the Marvel comic book movies, we already know exactly whats gonna happen, the Heros win, save the world, and then another bad guy comes and does the same sh*t.

Its literally the same story over and over and over again with a different bad guy. Nothing changes, add in the child jokes/cheesy humor, with tons of CGI and you have a Marvel movie.

Now, if they had stand alone movies, that had nothing to do with linking with another movie, and not having to worry about "moving the universe", Marvel movies would be better off imo.

If i was DC, id be pumping out alot of stand alone stories, movies like Joker. fu*k linking them, Let the characters live on their own and make their own statement.

i mean with Marvel, where are all the other guys when one of the comic book characters are getting fu*ked up in their stand alone movie? but then want me to believe that they all come together to f*ght someone else......
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #72
Fauby  32 heat pts32
space
space
 RESIDO said
BUT..
How many movies does Scorsese have in the top 20 grossing movies of all time?
I'll wait...

Jealousy is a mother!
How many comic book movies will last a life time and be considered some of the best films ever made?

That argument you have is like saying Vanilla Ice is the best rapper ever because he has one of the best selling Rap Albums of all time.

Some of the best movies, dont sell to well because the casual movie goers think its "to deep" "to slow" "to much character building" "not enough action" sh*t

2 weeks ago '06        #73
RESIDO  2 heat pts2
space
space
$2,935   Props total: 2955 2955
 Fauby said
How many comic book movies will last a life time and be considered some of the best films ever made?

That argument you have is like saying Vanilla Ice is the best rapper ever because he has one of the best selling Rap Albums of all time.

Some of the best movies, dont sell to well because the casual movie goers think its "to deep" "to slow" "to much character building" "not enough action" sh*t

Soooooo.. in other words you mean he has none in the top 20 grossing movies of all time..

2 weeks ago '05        #74
Fauby  32 heat pts32
space
space
 RESIDO said
Soooooo.. in other words you mean he has none in the top 20 grossing movies of all time..
I could care less about sales, it doesn't help me. I care about finished product and if it's good. Which Martin S. Has a track record of making good movies

2 weeks ago '07        #75
Avon_Barksdale  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
space
space
$53,128   Props total: 108362 108362
 strungout said
[IMG][/IMG]

WTF? Strung, this gif ain't something that I'd expect from you bruh...

When you was on that girl bad, and you came in here for some support who gave that that support g, some complete strangers

You might ask wtf does that have to do with the gif its a movie clip?

Some of us on here respect Sam J. that gif out of all gif's you could've chosen is just fu*ked up g...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  56
Image(s) inside REAL LIFE EPIDEMIC: CORPORATE AMERICA Is Now EXPLOTING BLACKS GANG CUL..
81 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+22online now  51
Image(s) inside You guys were right about The Game
289 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+478online now  43
Image(s) inside How I make 4K+ a month 100% LEGALLY doing barely anything(if i'm lying..
232 comments
22 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+77online now  26
Cousin Skeeter/One On One Actor Reveals He's A CRIP, Busts Out Flag
207 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy