Samuel L. Jackson Responds to Martin Scorsese’s Marvel Comments

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
26 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 weeks ago '06        #1
4913 page views
94 comments

SM  41401 heat pts41401
space
space
$143,788   Props total: 135951 135951
Samuel L. Jackson Responds to Martin Scorsese’s Marvel Comments

Samuel L. Jackson has responded to Martin Scorsese’s comments that Marvel films aren’t real cinema.

“I mean that’s like saying Bugs Bunny ain’t funny. Films are films. Everybody doesn’t like his stuff either,” Jackson told Variety‘s Angelique Jackson at the grand opening of Tyler Perry’s new studio in Atlanta, Ga. “Everybody’s got an opinion, so I mean it’s okay. Ain’t going to stop nobody from making movies.”

Jackson’s comments were in response to an interview Scorsese gave Empire magazine, in which “The Irishman” filmmaker likened the superhero films to theme parks.

“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema,” Scorsese said. “Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

Earlier on the carpet, Jackson praised Perry, the evening’s man of the hour, calling him both “a real one” and “a real anomaly.”

“Everybody has dreams about things they want to do and what they hope to accomplish. Tyler has been one of those visionaries that taps into his visions and makes them happen,” Jackson said. “And that’s amazing. Everybody doesn’t have that acumen.”

The Marvel actor also shared his surprise that his Nick Fury alter ego hasn’t made an appearance in the “Black Panther” futuristic city of Wakanda; although he hopes that changes soon.

“How did Nick Fury not end up in Wakanda?,” Jackson said. “I’m sure he’s been there, at least to the club.”
+34   

best
worst
94 comments

2 weeks ago '04        #2
jewelz1132  5 heat pts5
space
space
$14,404   Props total: 4793 4793
He's right.. That sh*t is very elitist.. These movies make billions of dollars, so people actually enjoy them, so why knock it because it isn't your thing? Apparently that puts you in the minority. Those guys get to dictate everything and people just go along with it. Awhile back wasn't there beef with Netflix and how their movies shouldn't be accepted at the Oscars? Now that Scorsese doing a Netflix movie with the actors he has, everyone will change their tune on that sh*t.
+50   

2 weeks ago '14        #3
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
$38,088   Props total: 95975 95975

2 weeks ago '12        #4
44wade  317 heat pts317
space
space
space
$29,382   Props total: 20149 20149
keep saying that ever since Drake beat Meek Mill sh*t is a bizarro world.

If yall wouldve told me 10 years ago that Martin Scorsese would be taking flak for his opinion on comic book movies I wouldnt believe it.
+41   

2 weeks ago '17        #5
LumiHeights  1 heat pts1
space
space
$431   Props total: 764 764
Scorsese isn't wrong.. albeit superhero movies cake up the most.
+14   

2 weeks ago '05        #6
JohnnyCage202  47 heat pts47
space
space
$6,606   Props total: 32425 32425
 LumiHeights said
Scorsese isn't wrong.. albeit superhero movies cake up the most.
Feel me?

Even Robert and Spike know there's a difference between "Do The Right Thing" and "Meteor Man"...

...let's not play stupid.
+17   

2 weeks ago '09        #7
slayer2020  2 heat pts2
space
space
space
$673   Props total: 2095 2095
 44wade said
keep saying that ever since Drake beat Meek Mill sh*t is a bizarro world.

If yall wouldve told me 10 years ago that Martin Scorsese would be taking flak for his opinion on comic book movies I wouldnt believe it.
VERY underrated post. More truth than meets the eye...
+8   

2 weeks ago '17        #8
baku  55 heat pts55
space
space
space
$847   Props total: 7358 7358
scorsese is right in his a*sessment tho

the acting / actors is a byproduct in those movies, the main essence is watching comic books come alive.
+9   

2 weeks ago '14        #9
s550benz  1 heat pts1
space
space
space
$384   Props total: 1038 1038
fu*k all that superhero sh*t. Bill Maher said it best about those marvel/dc movies.

2 weeks ago '10        #10
6.Yrs  19 heat pts19
space
space
$4,369   Props total: 15008 15008
 JohnnyCage202 said
Feel me?

Even Robert and Spike know there's a difference between "Do The Right Thing" and "Meteor Man"...

...let's not play stupid.
Plus the story is already written for these dudes. I give them some credit for being able to bring the characters out of the book and onto the screen.. But let’s not act like the likeness isn’t already there to go along with the prewritten storyline.. 90 percent of the creative work is already done for these guys.

Scorcese is right.

2 weeks ago '05        #11
A~team  2 heat pts2
space
space
$6,571   Props total: 5441 5441
A movie is a fu*king movie.

fu*k scorsaysee bi*ch a*s

Ima still check out the irishman tho
+11   

2 weeks ago '17        #12
CJ Schwarz  82 heat pts82
space
space
$4,549   Props total: 23852 23852
Scorsese use to get flack for his movies being gore fest, vulgar, and over the top. It kept him from getting an Oscar. People still likes his films and praised him.

Does he have a point with saying that the focus of MCU and big budgeted superhero films is more about action/CGI and less about the acting, we'll yes; however, they're geared towards whole families and need to master a balance. That is actually difficult to do, to entertain a 5 year old to a young adult, and to a 30 to 50 year old aged parent.

Also, film evolves. At one point people thought adding talking to movies cheapened the "cinema" experience, but people enjoyed it better.
+28   

2 weeks ago '11        #13
kevin boogz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
$5,575   Props total: 14757 14757
 6.Yrs said
Plus the story is already written for these dudes. I give them some credit for being able to bring the characters out of the book and onto the screen.. But let’s not act like the likeness isn’t already there to go along with the prewritten storyline.. 90 percent of the creative work is already done for these guys.

Scorcese is right.
to be fair most movies i know of scorcese are based on true events.
but i can see both sides of the argument.
+9   

2 weeks ago '10        #14
6.Yrs  19 heat pts19
space
space
 kevin boogz said
to be fair most movies i know of scorcese are based on true events.
but i can see both sides of the argument.
touché
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #15
TrillPeez  20 heat pts20
space
space
$12,715   Props total: 30621 30621
 6.Yrs said

Scorcese is right.
So any movie based on a book or real life event isn't cinema because that groundwork is already laid out
+12   

2 weeks ago '18        #16
JugHead 
space
space
$375   Props total: 1591 1591
 strungout said

+9   

2 weeks ago '15        #17
Hellmatic  3 heat pts3
space
space
$23,186   Props total: 36170 36170
 A~team said
A movie is a fu*king movie.

fu*k scorsaysee bi*ch a*s

Ima still check out the irishman tho
+1   

2 weeks ago '12        #18
BrokenSafety  41 heat pts41
space
space
$4,972   Props total: 4022 4022
Comic book movies k*lled films. Nothing comes out anymore besides super hero bullsh*t and garbage a*s horror movies.

All the good sh*t is tv series now. I been reading comics since i was 12 and i dont watch these comic book movies or even read them anymore im so burnt out on this sh*t

Surprised most people arent gettin tired of it yet either.

2 weeks ago '08        #19
Arson  84 heat pts84
space
space
$43,613   Props total: 35452 35452
I don't even see what the issue is. The MCU is what 23 movies deep now? Out of 23 movies Black Panther is the only one that even comes close to "trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being."

So in the 48 hours of runtime. Maybe 2 hours of it isn't surface level drama?
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #20
Kdub31  10 heat pts10
space
space
$2,019   Props total: 10783 10783
That disney marvel movie formula is so trash and watered down somebody had to say it. The story telling is lazy at best and it has nothing to do with it being comicbook based. The comics are written better, this is about disney dumbing down cinema.

Marvel movies arent written as good as the old cartoon disney movies we grew up on but we go to see it for the special effects and f*ght scenes. They make too much money for the writing to be so subpar. And now disney has bastardized star wars the same way

+12   

2 weeks ago '17        #21
GodBody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
$3,811   Props total: 29067 29067
It’s a fu*king comic book movie! A movie that is not made for Scorese or his idiotic elitist butt head fans. I saw The God Father and Gangs of NY but I enjoyed Paid in Full and New Jack City more. These elitist f*gs would turn their noses up at that purely because they can’t wrap their minds around that fact that all Art (including cinema) is subjective. MCU knows exactly who they are and that’s why they win. End of story.

Last edited by GodBody; 10-07-2019 at 05:03 AM..
+13   

2 weeks ago '10        #22
killinemsoftly  1 heat pts1
space
space
$1,995   Props total: 2849 2849
This is the thread where the few people who don’t like comic book movies unite like Voltron. Y’all are corny. How many people got emotional during The Godfather? How many people got emotional during Goodfellas? How many people got emotional when Thanos got the soul stone and then told baby Gamorra it cost him everything? Comic book movies hit the same ques as other movies. Plus comic book movies aren’t reserved for a specific audience. Anyone can watch/enjoy. There’s no you’re too young/old to be watching this.
+16   

2 weeks ago '10        #23
quan3106  107 heat pts107
space
space
$14,546   Props total: 31651 31651
Marvel movies do suck..they more episodic events then just movies...just cuz some kids and geeks like em don’t mean they good cinema...Caps jaw clench every tense moment is boo boo

2 weeks ago '12        #24
MD20 
space
space
$2,094   Props total: 1843 1843
 GodBody said
It’s a fu*king comic book movie! A movie that is not made for Scorese or his idiotic elitist butt head fans. I saw The God Father and Gangs of NY but I enjoyed Paid in Full and New Jack City more. These elitist f*gs would turn their noses up at that purely because they can wrap their minds around that fact that all Art (including cinema) is subjective. MCU knows exactly who they are and that’s why they win. End of story.

+1   

2 weeks ago '10        #25
6.Yrs  19 heat pts19
space
space
 TrillPeez said
So any movie based on a book or real life event isn't cinema because that groundwork is already laid out
Nah... u have a point.. I still feel like most of the work has already been done for these comic book dudes though. All they have to do is update the costumes to make sure the superhero ain't out here walking around lookin like a modern day Capt Crunch.

With books and movies based on real events the director still has to paint and translate a picture even though the words are already there.

All three situations are similar though.
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+83online now  18
Cousin Skeeter/One On One Actor Reveals He's A CRIP, Busts Out Flag
236 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+504online now  16
Image(s) inside How I make 4K+ a month 100% LEGALLY doing barely anything(if i'm lying..
242 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+22online now  13
Image(s) inside You guys were right about The Game
313 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  5
The first real photo of a PlayStation 5 dev kit appears