How Sifuís kung fu combat works

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

3 weeks ago '05        #1
1056 page views
25 comments

Chuck_Remixed  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 16948 16 K  Slaps total: 715 715
How Sifuís kung fu combat works

New release date

Combat System Overview

Greetings to the PlayStation community! I’m Fťlix, marketing manager at Sloclap, and I’ve worked with the team to give you this short overview of Sifu’s combat system and a sneak peek into our design choices.

Building on our experience working on martial arts gameplay with Absolver but focusing this time on a single-player game, we wanted with Sifu to offer a unique player experience, heavily drawing from kung fu and martial arts movies. f*ghting villains by the dozen in a nightclub, jumping over tables and throwing bottles, we want the player to feel like the main character of a kung fu movie.

In terms of design, it meant for us striking a balance between credibility – realistic combat techniques, faithful animations – and esthetics, with crisp action and immersive camera framings. With Sifu, we wanted to mix the esthetics of classic kung fu movies with the raw close-quarters combat found in modern movies such as The Raid, Old Boy, or John Wick.

The combat system draws from these different inspirations. We want the gameplay to offer a challenge consistent with the kung fu values of training and self-improvement. And we want players to experience a progression, to feel like they are learning kung fu, improving, and progressively earning their power fantasy.

We designed what we called the Structure system, to emulate the real combat notion of impacting and breaking the stance of your opponent, his ability to attack and defend himself. It takes the form of a gauge, for both you and your enemies. If you manage to break your opponent’s structure, you will be able to finish them with a powerful takedown, which is the opportunity to display the devastating techniques of Pak Mei. But if your own structure gauge is filled, you’re unable to f*ght and defend yourself for a short duration and you will find yourself vulnerable to your enemies’ attacks.

Blocking attacks will quickly fill your balance gauge, and we’ve given the players a few more flexible defensive options. Dodges will allow you to create space at key times and can be life savers. But more importantly, parrying hits at the right time will let you deflect the blow, unbalancing your opponent and opening opportunities to counterattack or to throw them down. You can also avoid blows altogether, by ducking under or jumping over incoming strikes. It is particularly useful against strong hits that you can’t parry or to quickly recover balance and strike back at your opponent.

The player will start with an offensive kit able to deal with any opposition, but it will take you some time to learn the different properties of the techniques available to you. You can mix strong and fast attacks to build combos, on a single enemy or going from one opponent to the other. And as you progress and unlock new skills, you will have more options available to fit your playstyle and how you like to approach challenging situations. You will be able to knock your enemies down, push them back into their allies, stun them or disarm a threatening foe. It will be particularly useful as you start f*ghting more and more opponents at the same time.

f*ghts against multiple enemies are at the heart of the Sifu’s gameplay experience. We aimed at finding the right balance between having the player feeling surrounded and challenged, but not overwhelmed by the amount of aggression coming at the same time. We’ve chosen to use a dynamic lock system for the camera, to allow for quick and responsive swapping between multiple targets. We’ve worked on optimizing the game to ensure a stable 60FPS frame rate on PlayStation 4, as well as on PS4 Pro and PS5 of course, to provide a smooth and reactive experience. We want combat to feel like a back-and-forth motion, with enemies forcing the players to react, to use a variety of crowd control techniques and good positioning to prevail.
Beside relying on their favorite Pak Mei techniques, players will have to make clever use of the environment to overcome the unfavorable odds they will be facing. We have introduced usable elements to all combat situations, be it furniture you can toss into your enemies’ feet, throwable items, makeshift weapons or tables you can leap across. They add options for the players, who are free to approach a given situation from different angles.

Finally, players will be able to rely on precise and powerful techniques through the focus mechanic. Focus is a resource that builds up as you f*ght, filling up charges that you will progressively unlock during your playthrough. Using a focus charge will slow down time and allow you to choose a weak point of your opponent to perform a devastating technique, disabling or seriously wounding your enemy. Players will be able to access different focus attacks as they unlock new skills, allowing them to adapt to specific situations they struggle with.

This overview may give you an idea of what will be expected of you to learn kung fu and achieve your revenge in Sifu, but nothing replaces good practice.

Sifu releases on PS4 and PS5 on February 8, 2022. Find out more about Sifu’s death and aging system in our next PlayStation Blog post, publishing later today.
visit this link https://blog.playstation. .. -combat-works/
+18   

best
worst
25 comments

3 weeks ago '17        #2
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 88819 88 K  Slaps total: 32524 32 K
February and March gonna be epic
+7   

3 weeks ago '14        #3
DavidAames  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 29807 29 K  Slaps total: 1265 1 K
Game looks fire b.

I just Wish there was fu*kin blood in this sh*t man.

Woulda been cult classic status for me if there was…
+4   

3 weeks ago '05        #4
Chuck_Remixed  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1 OP
Props total: 16948 16 K  Slaps total: 715 715
Video/info about the death and aging system

Hello everyone, following our combat system overview, we wanted to give you a preview of our death and aging mechanic. We have received a lot of questions regarding our progression system, and I tried to answer some of them below!

Kung fu or “gōngfu” can refer to any discipline or skill achieved through hard work, practice and patience. kung fu as a martial art carries the concept of endless self-improvement, of a mastery kept alive and relevant by permanent practice. In that sense, a single life is never enough to know, or have, kung fu.

In Sifu, our hero, although they’ve been training their whole life, are only 20 years old. They are driven by a burning desire for revenge and will have to face a dangerous group of a*sassins, who have become prominent figures of the city and are based in well defended strongholds. Our young student does not have the luxury of an entire life ahead of them to improve their kung fu, and as they depart on their path of revenge, at dusk, they will have to find and defeat all of their enemies in a single night.

As we have already shown before, our hero has one powerful tool to help them on their quest: an ancient pendant that can heal them back to life. But nothing is ever free. That pendant has to be fueled with life energy, and every time they get back up, they will age.

That means that you will start the game with a limited resource that you must manage carefully if you want to reach the end of your quest. Aging will not make you weaker, but it has a slight impact on your abilities: as you get older, you will trade maximum health for offensive power. Your character’s model will also showcase how old you are, and you will be able to contemplate the consequences of your actions. But getting older has no drawbacks on your abilities and you will be able to complete the game at any age.

The ability to rise up after death gives the opportunity for players to get right back in the action, over and over again. Before getting back to the f*ght, the death screen is actually a good spot for players to take a breather and reflect on their past mistakes. It is where they’ll be able to unlock new skills and open more options to deal with the situation that caused their demise. Skills can also be unlocked in the hero’s Wuguan, accessible between missions, and in Shrines found throughout the levels.

Shrines will also allow you to improve your character during runs, by giving the player a choice between different perks, each one with different costs or requirements. Along with skills, it will allow you to specialize depending on what you feel you need the most: more health, additional focus charges, max structure increase, weapon durability etc.

Those upgrades are not lost on death, and along with the ability to rise up immediately when you fall, it might give you at first a feeling of invulnerability. But this will not last, and the more you die, the faster you will age. This takes the form of a death counter: the first time you die, you’ll age by one year. The second time, by two years, the third by three, and so on. The only way to lower or reset that counter is to use one of the available shrines or beat specific enemies such as the chapter bosses.

Ending a chapter will reset your death counter, but your age will not be affected. There is no way to get younger, you will only get older as you fall and get back up – you can cheat death for a while, but in the end time catches with everyone. Past a certain age, you won’t have enough life left in you to sustain the pendant, and you won’t be able to get back up anymore. Your ultimate death will translate into a definitive game over.

Although you will lose your unlocked skills and upgrades upon a game over, some elements are persistent. Each time you complete a chapter of the game, it will create a saving point with the age you had when you finished it. You will be able to continue on to the next chapter or play it again to try and improve your performance. Besides save points, you will be able to permanently unlock skills by spending more experience points, making them available right away at the start of a new run.

Finally, the detective board, which illustrates the progress of the main character on his investigation, will retain all the information you’ve already gathered, even after a game over. Beside keeping track of the various clues and story elements you gathered on your five enemies, the detective board will also show you shortcuts, hidden rooms or doors you unlocked on previous playthroughs, allowing you to quickly get back on track.

These features will help you on your quest of revenge, but they will not replace training and practice.

Do you have what it takes to know kung fu? Find out on February 8, 2022.

+3   

3 weeks ago '04        #5
Marcus  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 12137 12 K  Slaps total: 1506 1 K
i wish u could turn off the age thing when u die. still gonna cop it
+1   

3 weeks ago '16        #6
Hoggystyle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 84723 84 K  Slaps total: 9302 9 K

Got me on my Martin sh*t
+7   

3 weeks ago '05        #7
TonyCartagena 
Props total: 60754 60 K  Slaps total: 10110 10 K
New IPs
No Rinse And Repeat Over Here
+4   

Top 10 most propped recently  3 weeks ago '18        #8
Most Palone 
Props total: 26833 26 K  Slaps total: 1709 1 K
 DavidAames said
Game looks fire b.

I just Wish there was fu*kin blood in this sh*t man.

Woulda been cult classic status for me if there wasÖ
It has blood but from what Iíve seen itís rare

3 weeks ago '17        #9
pickolo01 
Props total: 1573 1 K  Slaps total: 150 150
never heard of this until tonight...looks cold asf

3 weeks ago '04        #10
Jae_Hood_354 
Props total: 9824 9 K  Slaps total: 969 969
Been looking forward to this game 1st day cop in Feb.
+6   

3 weeks ago '15        #11
Mtyjoejnblkblnd  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 50636 50 K  Slaps total: 5980 5 K
Looks incredible.

3 weeks ago '06        #12
snaxxx 
Props total: 6534 6 K  Slaps total: 903 903
Bangers after bangers after bangers
+3   

3 weeks ago '05        #13
SquirrelXss 
Props total: 9849 9 K  Slaps total: 2935 2 K
Hopefully it's not a let down, I haven't been hyped for anything since Rainbow Six Patriots and thr Division.

Imagine pc version with mods like Shaw Brother movies

3 weeks ago '05        #14
precys  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 22981 22 K  Slaps total: 2488 2 K
I can't fu*king wait for Kung-Fu deathloop!

Last edited by precys; 11-19-2021 at 12:34 PM..
+2   

3 weeks ago '16        #15
postemupndunkit 
Props total: 72517 72 K  Slaps total: 8588 8 K
 Jae_Hood_354 said
Been looking forward to this game 1st day cop in Feb.
Same here
+1   

3 weeks ago '20        #16
Nickp313 
Props total: 559 559  Slaps total: 24 24
Ayy this look tight as fu*k I been following this game,this one of the exclusives that got me looking

Hopefully my son finds it interesting I think it's on ps4 might have to run through it with him

3 weeks ago '05        #17
Krazie 
Props total: 44099 44 K  Slaps total: 6816 6 K
Anyone in here actually play Absolver though?

I really hope this is better.

3 weeks ago '12        #18
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 188464 188 K  Slaps total: 11040 11 K
 Krazie said

I did, I ran through it when I was sitting home recovering from surgery that year. It was actually an alright game, nothing super special, but still alright.

The combat in Sifu looks a little eh now that they've done a deep dive on it. I'll still snatch it up on PC since its coming to the Epic Games store, run through it and be done with it since Im a Kung Fu Fan
+2   

3 weeks ago '05        #19
Krazie 
 OldBusiness said
I did, I ran through it when I was sitting home recovering from surgery that year. It was actually an alright game, nothing super special, but still alright.

The combat in Sifu looks a little eh now that they've done a deep dive on it. I'll still snatch it up on PC since its coming to the Epic Games store, run through it and be done with it since Im a Kung Fu Fan
I put a couple hours into Absolver, I just could not get into the combat at all.

If I hadn't played that I'd probably be hyped as hell for Sifu. But if it's too similar to Absolver, clearly ain't for me.

3 weeks ago '17        #20
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 88819 88 K  Slaps total: 32524 32 K
 Krazie said

Why are you in this thread man?

Are yall ever gonna play the console you stan or just keep bothering us? Questions that will never get answered

3 weeks ago '09        #21
Chalky  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 58664 58 K  Slaps total: 6439 6 K
closest game we get to a rumble in the bronx
+2   

3 weeks ago '16        #22
alejandrugas  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 6203 6 K  Slaps total: 295 295
This game looks really fun. I love these types of games

3 weeks ago '09        #23
LOONATIK  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 47237 47 K  Slaps total: 6112 6 K
Damn this looks fire! I a*sume we won’t get this on xbox lol but I wish man this look hard

3 weeks ago '05        #24
Krazie 
 LOONATIK said
Damn this looks fire! I a*sume we wonít get this on xbox lol but I wish man this look hard
Might come to Xbox 6-12 months down the road, you never really know with these indie contracts.

At launch it's playstation and PC.
+1   

3 weeks ago '09        #25
LOONATIK  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 47237 47 K  Slaps total: 6112 6 K
 Krazie said
Might come to Xbox 6-12 months down the road, you never really know with these indie contracts.

At launch it's playstation and PC.
True. I’m definitely on the lookout this is my type of game. But in the meantime the new halo will hold me down!
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+69online now  22
dr j says his tennis playing daughter was only born cause her mother had b..
130 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+24online now  15
Image(s) inside Dec 7 - Canada's first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine is plant based and s..
161 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
-78online now  13
Image(s) inside Midget from Game of Thrones riding with his daughter on a scooter
42 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  8
Dec 7 - Kellogg to permanently replace striking workers as union rejects new c..
41 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy