How the Covid-19 recession could become a depression

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news /page 2

Top 10 most propped recently  7 days ago '15        #1
70 page views
1 comments

Putin~Work  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
space
space
Props total: 72772 72 K  Slaps total: 9642 9 K
How the Covid-19 recession could become a depression

As the Covid-19 pandemic worsens, it’s hard to decide which are scarier: the conversations I’m having with epidemiologists or the conversations I’m having with economists.

“This is an economic tsunami,” Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, told me. Social distancing is economic distancing. We are telling people to cease going to stores, to restaurants, to workplaces. We are insisting they stop supplying their labor, making their goods. To slow a pandemic, we are forcing a recession, perhaps a depression

It was common, in 2008, to hear economists say that nothing had changed in the real economy. The US still had just as many workers, factories, and machines. We hadn’t lost any land or knowledge. There was no physical reason the economy was in crisis. The collapse in credit markets had changed economic behavior — businesses were afraid to invest and hire, and families were afraid or unable to spend.

What we had was an “output gap” — the difference between what the economy could produce and what it was producing. The solution to an output gap, particularly one caused by collapsing economic demand, is simple: fill it with money. Invest in infrastructure projects. Give families cash. If corporations and consumers won’t spend, then the government should spend on their behalf, creating the economic demand necessary to push the economy back to normalcy.

More

https://www.vox.com/2020/ .. s-unemployment

best
worst
1 comments

6 days ago '04        #2
TrueWest_1 
space
space
Props total: 2875 2 K  Slaps total: 563 563
good read, very interesting comparing 2008 to now
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  26
Video inside Gucci New artist "Ola Runt" Disses Big Bank DTE saying they ran him out..
229 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  21
Image(s) inside Mar 29 - Not wearing masks to protect against coronavirus is a ‘big mi..
97 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  16
Article inside 'Tiger King' Producers Respond to Carole Baskin Criticism: 'She wasn'..
82 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+42online now  6
Video inside 420🥦Great Drought of 2020🥦 Start Making World Class Tre..
154 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy