May 3 - Black man enslaved by White restaurant manager should be awarded more than $500K

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 weeks ago '07        #1
1450 page views
34 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x45
Props total: 76239 76 K  Slaps total: 7983 7 K
May 3 - Black man enslaved by White restaurant manager should be awarded more than $500K

A Black man with intellectual disabilities who was enslaved for five years at a restaurant in Conway, S.C., should be awarded double the amount of restitution from the White man now imprisoned for the crime, according to a recent court ruling.

As part of his 2019 guilty plea to a forced labor charge, Bobby Paul Edwards, 56, was sentenced to 10 years in prison and ordered by a court to pay back John Christopher Smith $273,000 in unpaid wages and overtime compensation at J&J Cafeteria.

The Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit ruled on April 21 that the previous amount decided by a district court “had erred” in not accounting for federal labor laws entitling him to $546,000, or double the amount he was owed from his imprisonment between 2009 and 2014.

Through physical violence, threats and intimidation, Edwards coerced Smith, 43, into working more than 100 hours per week without pay, The Washington Post reported.

The appellate court sent the ruling back to the district court to recalculate Smith’s award based on the delay in getting his payment under federal labor laws.

“When an employer fails to pay those amounts (regular and overtime pay), the employee suffers losses, which includes the loss of the use of that money during the period of delay,” the court argued in its filing.

Edwards’s public defender didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment about the latest ruling.

Smith started washing dishes and busing tables at J&J Cafeteria in 1990, when he was just 12 years old. He had loved his full-time employment there when the business was operated by Edwards’s relatives, according to court documents.

But when Edwards took over managing the restaurant in September 2009, paid wages and decent treatment would soon be nonexistent.

Edwards moved Smith into a roach-infested apartment he owned that Smith’s attorneys later described as “sub-human,” “deplorable” and “harmful to human health.”

Smith was forced to work more than 100 hours each week without pay and no days off as Edwards took advantage of the Black man’s mild cognitive disability, court records state.

Edwards’s “reign of terror” included keeping Smith isolated from his family, threatening to have him arrested and calling him racial slurs.

Smith said he felt like he was in prison with the threat of death.

“Most of the time I felt unsafe, like Bobby could k*ll me if he wanted,” he said, according to court records. “I wanted to get out of that place so bad but couldn’t think about how I could without being hurt.”

Smith alleged that Edwards injured him many times over the years. He was whipped with belts and kitchen pans and punched multiple times by Edwards, court records state.

One of the more heinous alleged acts of brutality came when Edwards thought Smith didn’t deliver fried chicken to the buffet as quickly as he demanded. In response, Edwards dipped metal tongs into hot grease and pressed them into Smith’s neck, according to court records.

Fellow employees at the restaurant who heard or had seen the abuse were reluctant to report it out of fear of Edwards.

Geneane Caines helped put an end to Smith’s abuse when she reported Edwards to authorities in October 2014. Caines had a daughter-in-law who worked at the restaurant and got involved because she cared about Smith’s safety, according to WYFF.

“Customers that were going in there would hear stuff and they didn’t know what was going on, and they would ask the waitresses, and the waitresses were so scared of Bobby they wouldn’t tell them then what it was,” she said to WMBF.

Smith was immediately taken into Adult Protective Services, and Edwards was charged with second-degree a*sault and “attempt to establish peonage, slavery, involuntary servitude or human trafficking.”

“For stealing his victim’s freedom and wages, Mr. Edwards has earned every day of his sentence,” Sherri A. Lydon, U.S. attorney for the District of South Carolina, said in 2019.

“The U.S. Attorney’s Office will not tolerate forced or exploitative labor in South Carolina, and we are grateful to the watchful citizen and our partners in law enforcement who put a stop to this particularly cruel violence.”
+10   

best
worst
34 comments

2 weeks ago '05        #2
P-Hill|M 
Props total: 29528 29 K  Slaps total: 1960 1 K
Imagine this country doing this for the descendants of slavery

everything Smith endured... burn the perp alive
+40   

2 weeks ago '15        #3
Ace dealer 
Props total: 35711 35 K  Slaps total: 2334 2 K
+5   

2 weeks ago '04        #4
zone3cp 
Props total: 119428 119 K  Slaps total: 12802 12 K
Sad story...Hopefully a "patriot" burn down this place down or this dude who was abused ending up owning the place.

I looked it up online and it reeks of one of those good ol' boy establishments where they have blk cooks and clean up personnel.

Old white men sitting in there with the bitter face looking at u, u end up punking just on GP.
+8   

2 weeks ago '07        #5
iswerve 
Props total: 18665 18 K  Slaps total: 2669 2 K
should be, but would he?

im pretty sure you already know how this story ends
+3   

2 weeks ago '20        #6
Agent Vakabon 
Props total: 6453 6 K  Slaps total: 317 317
 P-Hill said

Reading this story on Reddit had me ready to go from being chill and laid-back to Dessalines
+8   

2 weeks ago '04        #7
D1nOnlyMrM@  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 15441 15 K  Slaps total: 2367 2 K
I shouldn't have read this. I speaketh the truth when i say: something extraordinarily terrible will seal this man's fate within 2 years.
+2   

2 weeks ago '10        #8
Trilluminati GA 
Props total: 31061 31 K  Slaps total: 1292 1 K
Line that evil mf up along with the other mfs that knew and light em up
+5   

2 weeks ago '16        #9
hhspot 
Props total: 1244 1 K  Slaps total: 449 449
This n*gga is about to buy land on Mars

2 weeks ago '16        #10
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 96619 96 K  Slaps total: 18036 18 K
somebody teach my retarded bredda fire bun

2 weeks ago '19        #11
skippa 
Props total: 7155 7 K  Slaps total: 960 960
Ohhh, but the Asians and the Trannies though......

+7   

2 weeks ago '12        #12
Pimpointment 
Props total: 3520 3 K  Slaps total: 386 386
$500 mill!
+5   

2 weeks ago '06        #13
Bilal  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 145529 145 K  Slaps total: 15142 15 K
Nah I'm k*lling that n*gga in his sleep not before I whoop his bi*ch a*s tho.
+6   

2 weeks ago '06        #14
whammy 
Props total: 10754 10 K  Slaps total: 610 610
Geneane Caines is a hero.

This is the parent's of an intellectually challenged child's worst nightmare.
+4   

2 weeks ago '20        #15
itsthekid123  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 4735 4 K  Slaps total: 624 624
so no jail time for this white fu*k?

i dont wish jail on nobody, but this dude deserves it a minimum. mid would be death. max would be torture

edit: ok he got 10 years, but fu*k him and how hes similing in the mugshot. he needs torture at a minimum now

Last edited by itsthekid123; 05-03-2021 at 01:20 PM..
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #16
Soprano ATL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 22201 22 K  Slaps total: 1805 1 K
That’s disgusting. 10 years, that’s it?
+5   

2 weeks ago '05        #17
Dun Language  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 94198 94 K  Slaps total: 25803 25 K
 itsthekid123 said
so no jail time for this white fu*k?

i dont wish jail on nobody, but this dude deserves it a minimum. mid would be death. max would be torture
Lol
+2   

2 weeks ago '15        #18
Tripsev 
Props total: 3370 3 K  Slaps total: 2144 2 K
 P-Hill said

Everybody in America is a descendant of slavery though.

2 weeks ago '20        #19
Ocean Springs 
Props total: 2859 2 K  Slaps total: 1822 1 K

A man with intellectual disabilities who was enslaved for five years

disgusting, I couldn't even read the rest of the article. Guy deserves life in prison + 1 mill in restitution
+4   

2 weeks ago '17        #20
Drewsmit 
Props total: 18029 18 K  Slaps total: 2485 2 K
Lena Waithe Presents:
HELL’S KITCHEN
+6   

2 weeks ago '20        #21
SonOfSam 
Props total: 28 28  Slaps total: 1 1
I actually know and seen this place many times while I was down Myrtle Beach, SC for Black Bike Week. Seemed like a regular spot, but never went in.

What they are saying for 10 years, he could get $546K or double perhaps, so that is approx $55K / year for Slavery.

Lets talk Restitution
+2   

2 weeks ago '14        #22
Ivorypillars  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 34419 34 K  Slaps total: 2734 2 K
Off with his head on live tv
+1   

2 weeks ago '11        #23
MACADEMICS 
Props total: 10758 10 K  Slaps total: 1019 1 K
disgusting. They need to throw the book at the mayonaise man
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #24
Sick Flair 
Props total: 14813 14 K  Slaps total: 1150 1 K
But... But America’s not racist.
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #25
WhoThaFuk 
Props total: 4056 4 K  Slaps total: 286 286
Hey...hey Timmy...Kamala...y’all want to come take a look at this? No? Oh ok
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+58online now  20
Gentrifying Black Culture
108 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  17
Juicy J buys safemoon !!!!
66 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+22online now  12
Video inside Venezuelan Girl Takes Me Into MedellĂ­n Hood 🇨🇴
127 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+34online now  11
May 14 - Senate Commitee CONFIRMS animals kept dying during COV19 Vax trials...
97 comments
1 day ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy