Apr 29 - NYPD’s robot dog will be returned after outrage

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 weeks ago '11        #1
1539 page views
34 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 150837 150 K  Slaps total: 21223 21 K
Apr 29 - NYPD’s robot dog will be returned after outrage

That’s ruff.

The NYPD will part ways with “Digidog,” the robotic police dog that became the subject of a City Council subpoena after images of it went viral.

The department told The Post on Wednesday that it ended a contract with Boston Dynamics to lease the four-legged robo-cop.

“The contract has been terminated and the dog will be returned,” a spokesperson said.

The sudden termination comes after a clip of the machine patrolling a Manhattan housing project went viral, sparking backlash and drawing comparisons to the dystopic TV series “Black Mirror.”

Mayor Bill de Blasio then urged the NYPD to “rethink” its use of the robot. Eventually, City Council leaders agreed and decided to subpoena the NYPD to find out its cost.

Police officials told The New York Times that the department had ended its $94,000 contract with the robot dog’s maker on April 22 in response to the inquiries from Council Speaker Corey Johnson and Councilman Ben Kallos.

The lease on the dog, which had been scheduled to end in August, was cut short after the pup became a “target,” said John Miller, the NYPD’s deputy commissioner for intelligence and counterterrorism.

He said people were improperly using the dog to fuel arguments about race and surveillance, according to the Times.

“People had figured out the catchphrases and the language to somehow make this evil,” Miller said.

Police had previously used the dog in February while responding to a home invasion and hostage situation in the Bronx — earning jeers from local politicians including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who called it a “robotic surveillance ground drone.”

The bot weighs 70 pounds, has cameras and lights, is capable of two-way communication and is able to use artificial intelligence to navigate its environment.

Kallos, who has proposed legislation to ban NYPD from using any weaponized robots or drones, told the Times that the dog underscored what he called the “militarization of the police.”

“At a time where we should be having more beat cops on the street, building relationships with residents, they’re actually headed in another direction in trying to replace them with robots,” the Manhattan rep said.

Bill Neidhardt, a spokesman for the mayor, said he was “glad the Digidog was put down.”

“It’s creepy, alienating and sends the wrong message to New Yorkers,” he said.

visit this link https://nypost.com/2021/0 .. after-outrage/
+16   

best
worst
34 comments

2 weeks ago '17        #2
THExTAKEOVER 
Props total: 13790 13 K  Slaps total: 1242 1 K
As a programmer. You have to wonder what in its mind it sees as a threat.

The tone of the article makes it seems like people are delusional for questioning bringing robotics into law enforcement. But their absolutely fu*king correct.

Never will they let you see what it sees as safe and who they deem a threat. Because after some time it will become autonomous with A.I. Control. Let alone ever expose who actually created these monstrosities.

Unfortunately this is just a set back and they will be used one day. Then will be upgraded until they are more human like. Bluring the lines.

What’s wild, is we would be deemed crazy back in the day for even mentioning this would actually happen. But here we have it, fulfilling the prophecy that is an end game scenario.

Last edited by THExTAKEOVER; 04-29-2021 at 05:12 AM..
+44   

2 weeks ago '04        #3
young_fletch 
Props total: 2999 2 K  Slaps total: 497 497
 THExTAKEOVER said

The tone of the article makes it seems like people are delusional for questioning bringing robotics into law enforcement. But their absolutely fu*king correct.

Never will they let you see what it sees as safe and who they deem a threat. Because after some time it will become autonomous with A.I. Control. Let alone ever expose who actually created these monstrosities.

Unfortunately this is just a set back and they will be used one day. Then will be upgraded until they are more human like. Bluring the lines.

What’s wild, is we would be deemed crazy back in the day for even mentioning this would actually happen. But here we have it, fulfilling the prophecy that is an end game scenario.
I would prefer a drone over a blues life. But you do have a point about the AI. There's no reason to arm these things with deadly weapons because there's no life to protect. I feel it could be useful but if AI is learning the biases that's a major problem down the road.
+7   

2 weeks ago '15        #4
S U P R E M E 
Props total: 8560 8 K  Slaps total: 1252 1 K
 young_fletch said
I would prefer a drone over a blues life. But you do have a point about the AI. There's no reason to arm these things with deadly weapons because there's no life to protect. I feel it could be useful but if AI is learning the biases that's a major problem down the road.

2 weeks ago '04        #5
d.c. supreme  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 28372 28 K  Slaps total: 1397 1 K
 THExTAKEOVER said

god i miss squibs in movies also one of the infamous hilarious lines of all time, "will somebody call a damn paramedic!?"
+5   

2 weeks ago '17        #6
LostTenets  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x46
Props total: 95153 95 K  Slaps total: 29275 29 K
Lmao @AOC's comment

2 weeks ago '16        #7
Vizier 
Props total: 3524 3 K  Slaps total: 542 542
Today a robocop shot an unarmed black man, police claim it was a justified shooting, story at 5 on KTLA...
+16   

2 weeks ago '04        #8
ItAlY2BkLyN 
Props total: 28733 28 K  Slaps total: 7512 7 K
 Vizier said
Today a robocop shot an unarmed black man, police claim it was a justified shooting, story at 5 on KTLA...
Robocop feared for his life and took appropriate force measures
+13   

2 weeks ago '15        #9
Still Numskull 
Props total: 19612 19 K  Slaps total: 5250 5 K
 Sin said

He said people were improperly using the dog to fuel arguments about race and surveillance, according to the Times.

“People had figured out the catchphrases and the language to somehow make this evil,” Miller said.
Wtf ..

Please tell me theres video of this?

+1   

2 weeks ago '20        #10
Slymm 
Props total: 9106 9 K  Slaps total: 404 404
He will be back with a less threatening design but the same abilities.

Last edited by Slymm; 04-29-2021 at 11:35 AM..
+11   

2 weeks ago '16        #11
P Glizzy 
Props total: 10533 10 K  Slaps total: 1329 1 K
 Slymm said
He will be back with a less threatening design but the same abilities.
They gon' turn it to a labradoodle and make it a star same abilities.

+1   

2 weeks ago '08        #12
Kewop Decam  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32688 32 K  Slaps total: 2652 2 K
 THExTAKEOVER said

And it's already been prove the AI we have now is racist and s*xist as fu*k, lol. Amazon created an AI to hire people and the AI did what the programming told it to do and it resulted in not hiring/interviewing a single woman. Thne everyone just threw their hands up into the air and said, "well, the AI did it...". Apple's credit card system had AI do approvals and gave women the worst credit card plans. Some dude who was a millionare got one plan, his wife got a different plan and their entire financials were intertwined so the AI had nothing else to go on other than it was a woman, lol. The sh*t is funny but scary as hell.

And of course, the AI was crazy racist towards black people.

There's a doc on Netflix called Coded Bias that's all about this.
+7   

2 weeks ago '16        #13
smokeytheblunt2 
Props total: 42923 42 K  Slaps total: 2392 2 K
how John Miller went from Frank Costello’s godson and number 1 Gotti fan(as a reporter) to where he’s at now i’ll never fu*king know.......
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #14
BalmainReyes 
Props total: 1143 1 K  Slaps total: 230 230
Because they’re upgrading them from the betas....

2 weeks ago '14        #15
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 138008 138 K  Slaps total: 32365 32 K
Its hard to hold a robot accountable

So I'm glad its off the streets
+1   

2 weeks ago '12        #16
ezduzit 
Props total: 35255 35 K  Slaps total: 3318 3 K
 ItAlY2BkLyN said
Robocop feared for his life and took appropriate force measures
Robo lives matter
+2   

2 weeks ago '04        #17
GUCCI C0ND0MS 
Props total: 11623 11 K  Slaps total: 10823 10 K
 d.c. supreme said

god i miss squibs in movies also one of the infamous hilarious lines of all time, "will somebody call a damn paramedic!?"
The director's cut of Robocop is absolutely incredible. Just wanted to say that. It's a must watch.
+2   

2 weeks ago '20        #18
Jimmy2times 
Props total: 16116 16 K  Slaps total: 1299 1 K
Machines can be held accountable and controlled much more reliably than any scumbag with a badge. They need to roll these out ASAP.

Of course there’s gonna be bi*ching and moaning. We’re a society of crybabies that lack depth and critical thinking skills. Everything is “outrageous”

2 weeks ago '20        #19
Jimmy2times 
Props total: 16116 16 K  Slaps total: 1299 1 K
 strungout said
Its hard to hold a robot accountable

So I'm glad its off the streets
When it’s actions can be programmed via logic, the concept of “accountability” becomes less and less important as the artificial intelligence is refined and mistakes are almost nonexistent.

But you figure it’s better to leave policing to human beings fraught with biases ingrained in them through centuries of evolution?
+1   

2 weeks ago '13        #20
hendrix2013  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 3169 3 K  Slaps total: 853 853
 d.c. supreme said

Designed for urban pacification ..man those 80s and 90s movies were grade a
+2   

2 weeks ago '04        #21
d.c. supreme  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 28372 28 K  Slaps total: 1397 1 K
 GUCCI C0ND0MS said
The director's cut of Robocop is absolutely incredible. Just wanted to say that. It's a must watch.
so fire, verhoeven the gawd
+2   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '19        #22
Anomic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 69226 69 K  Slaps total: 10715 10 K
 Vizier said
Today a robocop shot an unarmed black man, police claim it was a justified shooting due to malfunction errors, story at 5 on KTLA...
*Fixed
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #23
Frankie Needles  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 23154 23 K  Slaps total: 6744 6 K
I guarantee people would prefer this thing over

but figures someone like AOC is against this
+2   

2 weeks ago '04        #24
mistatnn 
Props total: 6752 6 K  Slaps total: 592 592
Wait, so this sh*t carried a weapon?!? Don’t tell me it was strapped with some sort of firearm
+1   

2 weeks ago '09        #25
Toss 
Props total: 3806 3 K  Slaps total: 563 563
Nypd really be doing whatever they want with their budget
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+56online now  28
Gentrifying Black Culture
104 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+32online now  18
May 14 - Senate Commitee CONFIRMS animals kept dying during COV19 Vax trials...
91 comments
24 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  17
Juicy J buys safemoon !!!!
66 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+22online now  11
Video inside Venezuelan Girl Takes Me Into Medellín Hood 🇨🇴