How do you feel toward the hip-hop of today, BX?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

Vote
angry 1 2.27%
upset 1 2.27%
frustrated 17 38.64%
happy 9 20.45%
glad 5 11.36%
sad 11 25.00%
Voters: 44.   (BX member poll)

1 week ago '04        #26
marcchrome  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 21160 21 K  Slaps total: 3272 3 K
Happy with with mcs/artist carrying on tradition.... but fu*k all the genocide zombie mumble rap.... that sh*t is the pitts..

1 week ago '05        #27
Scorpz 
Props total: 49467 49 K  Slaps total: 3844 3 K
Commercial hip hop is trash.. but if u follow the right rappers hip hop is still alive as ever.. Just gotta know where to look is all.. there's a whole other world of music outside of that mainstream bullsh*t..

1 week ago '10        #28
Bigg_Slime  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x36
Props total: 58975 58 K  Slaps total: 28818 28 K
 Oswaldgatesjr said
Who's bitter? if we compare rap from 1996 to now and u don't see an obvious decline then you are not sane in the head. Sound cloud has enabled the average nobody from all over to record and rap and itsoulless.

Ok..cool I get that things don't stay the same and u must evolve but as I stated in the first post hip hop music has devolved. Also for the ones saying u just gotta find good hip hop.. No one has time to go thru hella youtube pages to do that. The agenda is already being pushed and these kids that they have out now are being used to further black on black crime and violence. They aren't saying anything of meaning that my soul can feel. Its souless. Also whos talented? Gunna, poor shiesty, lil durk? How are they talented with simple as rhyme schemes and patterns?

I'm outside everyday but now when I'm outside its strictly gap band, midnight star, rolls royce, alexander oneal, stylistic etc.. I dnt really care for new hip hop. I still play my classics.
n*gga u have ALWAYS had to find good hip hop. I dubbed all my own cassette tape mixes in the 90s. All from my own digging and work. And in the 2000s I dug and dug on ftp's and programs like #mIRC. I learned how type bot commands cuz I needed to find new music that bad. Yall n*ggas lazy man

The fact that u mentioning "simple rhyme schemes and patterns" tells me everything I need to know. Eminem got the most rhyme schemes outta anybody and I dont like his sh*t after MMLP.

U too busy worried about technicalities instead of the actual final product. U honestly expect every artist to be a rhyme scheme a*s rappity rapper?

As for the dudes u named, u honestly expect me to believe u would ever give n*ggas like gunna and durk a real listen? It's different levels of listeners and I know your type

Joe Budden is a rappity rapper but he is a different listener than u. He gets it....like I said that n*gga was turnt up on his podcast when that YSL tape dropped. And that was dope to hear him not being stuck in a box. I luv when n*ggas who "really rap" know how to digest different styles of music becuz that's the beauty of music

It's the reason I always respected jada. That n*gga was my favorite up north n*gga in the late 90s and I went crazy hearing him on lil Jon sh*t and all kinda down south features

U need to get off that rhyme scheme bullsh*t, u sound like a 1999 textcee

Gunna dope af with the rhyme scheme btw

Last edited by Bigg_Slime; 05-01-2021 at 11:46 AM..
+1   

1 week ago '04        #29
Chokeabiish 
Props total: 6474 6 K  Slaps total: 510 510
I'm good with it. Real hiphop heads know where to find god music.
+1   

1 week ago '18        #30
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 52375 52 K  Slaps total: 17826 17 K
 Bigg_Slime said
n*gga u have ALWAYS had to find good hip hop. I dubbed all my own cassette tape mixes in the 90s. All from my own digging and work. And in the 2000s I dug and dug on ftp's and programs like #mIRC. I learned how type bot commands cuz I needed to find new music that bad. Yall n*ggas lazy man

The fact that u mentioning "simple rhyme schemes and patterns" tells me everything I need to know. Eminem got the most rhyme schemes outta anybody and I dont like his sh*t after MMLP.

U too busy worried about technicalities instead of the actual final product. U honestly expect every artist to be a rhyme scheme a*s rappity rapper?

As for the dudes u named, u honestly expect me to believe u would ever give n*ggas like gunna and durk a real listen? It's different levels of listeners and I know your type

Joe Budden is a rappity rapper but he is a different listener than u. He gets it....like I said that n*gga was turnt up on his podcast when that YSL tape dropped. And that was dope to hear him not being stuck in a box. I luv when n*ggas who "really rap" know how to digest different styles of music becuz that's the beauty of music

It's the reason I always respected jada. That n*gga was my favorite up north n*gga in the late 90s and I went crazy hearing him on lil Jon sh*t and all kinda down south features

U need to get off that rhyme scheme bullsh*t, u sound like a 1999 textcee

Gunna dope af with the rhyme scheme btw

U automatically a*suming thats ur issue. I heard most of gunna and young thug sh*t . Hell I was causing thru my city last summer in my new beamer blasting big shot .

I get that its not about the actual lyrics anymore but the whole vibe of the song but again how much actual talent does it take to do that?? It's nothing special about that, hell a 10yr old could do with gunna and them do. These kids sh*t ain't hitting like pac jay nas or who ever from back then just stop it

I fu*ks with currensy, cyhi, big sean thats the latest as far as my sh*t go. Rap from 2014 til now hasn't changed a bit. To me u just sound like a old n*gga that want to be down with the youngins

1 week ago '10        #31
 Oswaldgatesjr said
U automatically a*suming thats ur issue. I heard most of gunna and young thug sh*t . Hell I was causing thru my city last summer in my new beamer blasting big shot .

I get that its not about the actual lyrics anymore but the whole vibe of the song but again how much actual talent does it take to do that?? It's nothing special about that, hell a 10yr old could do with gunna and them do. These kids sh*t ain't hitting like pac jay nas or who ever from back then just stop it

I fu*ks with currensy, cyhi, big sean thats the latest as far as my sh*t go. Rap from 2014 til now hasn't changed a bit. To me u just sound like a old n*gga that want to be down with the youngins

Foh n*gga

Last edited by Bigg_Slime; 05-01-2021 at 03:09 PM..

1 week ago '18        #32
 Bigg_Slime said

Foh n*gga
No audio can't hear im outside at the park on this beautiful day

1 week ago '10        #33
 Oswaldgatesjr said
No audio can't hear im outside at the park on this beautiful day
Out there Bumpin thug and gunna

1 week ago '18        #34
 Bigg_Slime said
Out there Bumpin thug and gunna
Didn't wrk

1 week ago '10        #35
Outside on this beautiful day replying to boxden comments within 60 seconds

+1   

1 week ago '19        #36
Okka  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 8239 8 K  Slaps total: 497 497
Frustrated. Too much sh*tty music in 2021.
+1   

1 week ago '18        #37
Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x88
Props total: 107180 107 K  Slaps total: 5056 5 K
I comb thru the bs and look for sh*t that's not all over the web.

I'm a late 70's baby so I gravitate more towards the 80's and 90's feel (whether it be the artists of that era or the type of production these days).

I like that gritty sound.

1 week ago '04        #38
patt24 
Props total: 10262 10 K  Slaps total: 1284 1 K
i listen to significantly more current instrumentals than songs.

1 week ago '21        #39
Justin Igore 
Props total: 2065 2 K  Slaps total: 444 444
 Oswaldgatesjr said
It has alot to do with the quality of music. The quality of music is trash. Because of the internet its too many garbage rappers floating around. Everyone sounds the same and dresses alike.

Just look at the content. The kid yungeen ace who I smoke gets 6 million views while a guy who took time to write his lyrics cyhi da prince can't crack 100k. I don't expect u to get anything I'm saying u had to be born after 1995. Hip hop is trash.
You said views instead of plays or streams. Views indicate you're talking about a video. Ace is a YouTuber. If he does something, it's going to be popular on YouTube. Cyhi ain't did anything relevant since the GOOD music album. There's no reason to check on him. If Kendrick drops, I bet he does more than 6 million views.

And dude said it already but what everybody else is listening to has nothing to do with the quality of the music.

1 week ago '20        #40
Jaye85 
Props total: 1352 1 K  Slaps total: 82 82
In all honesty regarding today's mainstream hip hop, I try to listen to it with an open mind, but I just can't stomach most of the songs. The problem I have with it is that it is wayyyyy too redundant to the point where it just sounds obnoxious. The second I hear those trap style hi-hat drum beat patterns, I already have an idea what direction the song is going with mix it with the flow/cadence, content, and hook. To me, the popular hip hopof today has no soul or funky vibe to it. That's not to say I don't listen to trap at all because a lot of original Memphis trap incorporated soul samples to the song.

However, my whole take on how hip hop got to where it is today and who to blame? When the answer is all of us from the listeners, to the artists, to the corporate execs, to the disgruntled fans, and to the so called washed up artists. Let's start with the modern mainstream fanbase and the execs, this is the whole chicken and egg. Do the modern listeners/fanbase enjoy the music because the corporate/execs pushed this music on to them ad nauseum, or do corporate/execs constantly push this music because this is what the modern day fanbase wants to hear? I'd say it's a little of both ,the thing is the sound has become so monolithic today thanks to the pluracy of the internet and social media. Therefore, when something can become trendy with the right momentum and catchphrases, or hashtags behind it to the point where people want to replicate this sound, or listeners constantly crave this because it's what's hot/trendy. Back in the so called "golden era" or rap in the 80's, 90's and even to a degree early 2000's the internet and technology wasn't as advanced as it is now if it even existed. This is what caused various regions to nurture and create their own sound, swag, and style based on the musical, socio-economic, environmental, as other factors. Producers had to create their own grassroots signature sound as there was no generic copy and paste, synthetic beats that exist today with our modern hardware and software.

This leads to the next group of people to blame for the current state of rap/hip hop, which were the artists, and or producers of those said eras. Many of these rappers signed very bad contracts which allowed the labels to take advantage of them financially. Mix that in with the fact that those rappers weren't fiscally responsible spending their money very foolishly rather than investing, constantly getting into legal trouble, having kids with various women, and developing addictions (which unfortunately notable rappers of that era succumbed to today). As a result these artists went broke and fell into obscurity. I mention that to say that these legendary artists from the golden era could have made their own distribution deals, and major labels. I remember this back and forth that Waka Flocka and Pete Rock got into where Waka stated something to that effect that if more golden era rappers had better deals and were more financially savvy, they could have made their own major labels and distribution and had a better control, influence, and direction on today's stat of hip hop rather than complain.

Lastly, I would like to say that the disgruntled fans and critiques of today's modern day hip hop are also to blame. At the end of the day execs, and a&r's are going to push what's selling and popular as they want to make money. On a collective basis these disgruntled fans were not actually purchasing albums, purchasing downloads/streams, and supporting their favourite rapper en masse. Around the time hip hop started going to sh*t on a mainstream level circa 2005/2006, was when people were downloading songs, and albums via p2p methods (for example limewire) instead of purchasing the albums. As a result, most of the mainstream artists remained popular and relevant due to the fact that their core fanbase were paying to go to their concerts, paying for merch, and actually purchasing albums. Granted for a lot of us who are 30 plus with a lot of responsibilities may not even be in a position where we can overly invest our time and finances to the culture like we used to as Charlamagne mentioned one time when discussing Nelly's falloff from popularity. Therefore, it's only natural that a different sound catering to a younger fanbase with purchasing power is going to be popular.

At the end of the day, there are various factors at play to why modern mainstream hip hop has become what it's become and with many factors it's just taking it's natural course. For the most part, I ignore most top 40 hits, listen to what I want, and when possible, I support what I like whether it be going to the concerts, purchasing songs/albums, and even copping merch. With today's rap I usually skim through the track by listening to the beat, cadence/flow, content, and even hook. If I'm not moved by it, I just stop listening altogether.

Last edited by Jaye85; 05-04-2021 at 03:54 AM..
+1   

1 week ago '16        #41
theidiotlamper 
Props total: 4214 4 K  Slaps total: 1702 1 K
detroit is back on top word to martin lawrence yo

theres nothing better

1 week ago '20        #42
Carl 
Props total: 8348 8 K  Slaps total: 2288 2 K
Hip Hop died around in 2017-2018.

Everything is boring and bland now. Repetitive crap with corny trash rappers who sound fu*king same.

Bar is low. There is no rapper that sparks things up.

Pop Smoke was no lyrical rapper but he was unique and had that energy I missed in the game. Now he is gone.

7 days ago '21        #43
nodayzoffatl  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 4403 4 K  Slaps total: 587 587
i like turtles

7 days ago '14        #44
4FIF 
Props total: 5027 5 K  Slaps total: 312 312
 Sucka Repellent said
happy because i focus on the hip hop that fits into my way of life and what i like to hear....what sounds phenomenal to me. the past few years have been great for the hip hop that i love.
This tbh, in the last 5 years or so there has been a plethora of emerging artist who make the kind of music i enjoy. I just listen to what i like and let everyone else do the same...
+2   

7 days ago '17        #45
Sucka Repellent  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 83606 83 K  Slaps total: 16895 16 K
 4FIF said
This tbh, in the last 5 years or so there has been a plethora of emerging artist who make the kind of music i enjoy. I just listen to what i like and let everyone else do the same...
+1   

6 days ago '04        #46
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 10946 10 K  Slaps total: 2574 2 K
I aint do sh!t to save it so who am i to judge what the wolves and the vultures done did. Hip hop gave me enough material to hold me down in its rich history before its all industry so whatever. Its all cycles and during this dip since 09 or so, im just sidelining to see how it rises back up like pheonix. Dark times for the culture nowadays tho no doubt

6 days ago '07        #47
dnycem 
Props total: 4552 4 K  Slaps total: 722 722
New music wise its strictly underground(Alchemist, Griselda, Roc Marc, Curren$y, Gibbs, Larry June, J Worthy)
+1   

6 days ago '11        #48
broke4dayz 
Props total: 6669 6 K  Slaps total: 434 434
streaming plaques

6 days ago '12        #49
Superstarbrown7  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17126 17 K  Slaps total: 1627 1 K
A lot of trash music cause everybody sound the same. And if someone sounds different people make them bigger then they need to be.

6 days ago '19        #50
Bklynzfinest  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 26499 26 K  Slaps total: 3129 3 K
Frustrated...

The back and forth going on between @ and @ is exactly why...I agree with a lot of what both of u are saying even tho it's night and day.

On one hand, there's a clear decline in skills of the average rapper, less emphasis on making cohesive projects, and even worse, the diversity of styles is almost non existent....a lot of these young n*ggas sound the same and don't respect the old sh*t...they don't realize that their sound is gonna faze out too and replaced because they don't think that far ahead.

On the other hand, u got access to plenty of dudes and music that's good if you're really looking for it. Took me a little while to get into the new sound because it all sounds the same on the surface, but once u invest some time, u find the lil babys, cordae, polo g, etc who still respect lyricism but be on the new wave of sound...it was like that in the late 00s too with a lot of bullsh*t watered down crap, but u still had kdot, cole, drake, and others to keep it pushing.

My biggest issue with the culture right now is that they have white kids vulturing the fu*k out of it and then they are the youtubers and influencers repackaging it to the younger generation, doing all types of ratings online etc and our own Black kids are learning about their culture more from their white peers than older Black people who have experienced it because for them it's more young vs old, but our kids ain't seeing the irony and problem with sh*t like that. It's a larger Black culture issue than people realize and much deeper than rap, which is again why this current day and age is frustrating.

Btw, OP what's with the synonyms in the poll lol...how tf do i discern between angry/upset or glad/happy if i felt that/those ways lol

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+27online now  39
May 10 - Magnet Sticks To Spot Where Woman Got Vaccinated, Others See Antennae..
170 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+29online now  27
Vince made the Call: Booker T-Triple H Segment Pulled From A&E’s “Biography”
139 comments
19 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+22online now  26
Image(s) inside There is a new dog in town (f*ck out the way doge) the Rise of Shiba ..
204 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  17
Video inside Pooh Shiesty Caught Laid Up With A Tr@nny
403 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy