online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Why Rappers Stopped Writing: The Punch-In Method (NYT)

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

7 months ago '10        #126
Account001 
Props total: 9553 9 K  Slaps total: 2420 2 K
 Sinamatik CFR said 🔗
This is nothing new, lol... most people already knew this is what most of them n1ggas was bragging about with the "no pen/no written" sh1t since the days of Jay and Big anyway....

Thing is, 98% of em that is doing it now, are trash and wouldn't be much better if they was writing em...
Somebody post a ps2... this sh1t bout the same age.

New York times on they culture vultures

7 months ago '07        #127
zynnlahh 
Props total: 5213 5 K  Slaps total: 565 565
And it shows..
emoji
+1   

7 months ago '15        #128
Shifty  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 31330 31 K  Slaps total: 7415 7 K
 ki1laNipZayKiss said 🔗
Thank you Jay and Wayne do not freestyle nor do they punch in. They write songs in their head.
Yes, they do, especially Lil Wayne.

They're coming up with lines as they go, but rapping them a couple bars at a time.

Punching in is just recording where you last left off instead of recording it all the way through.

JayZ is not going in there and rapping full songs off the top of his head unless he's freestyling/rapping a song he already memorized (basically prepared before coming in the studio).

He is not one taking everything, stop it.
+3   

7 months ago '15        #129
 Trismegistus said 🔗
No, it was punching in like I said. We’d say one line and then record the next line separately.
I understood what you said, the other n1gga doesnt know what he's talking about
+1   

7 months ago '18        #130
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 97120 97 K  Slaps total: 32077 32 K
Punch in method old as fu#k op… but it separates a truly ski1led mic from a novice

7 months ago '17        #131
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x28
Props total: 178615 178 K  Slaps total: 54852 54 K
 Candidn1gga said 🔗
There's a video of young thug punching in on youtube

Tbh it looked like a cool process

The engineer is everything though

NBA youngboy. Watched his recording process……. Damn

7 months ago '17        #132
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x28
Props total: 178615 178 K  Slaps total: 54852 54 K
 Oswaldgatesjr said 🔗
Punch in method old as fu#k op… but it separates a truly ski1led mic from a novice
It’s been used yes….. but the style like let’s so nba and pooh shiesty do it where it’s like intentionally sounding like 3-4 people just havin a convo? It’s different than the average punch in where it’s not noticeable

These days, it’s not about having a consistent sound or not making the punch in noticeable. I think the way NBA does it is dope as hell. Cuz he’ll punch in every 3 words and every punch in will have its own delivery and style

7 months ago '17        #133
Props total: 37337 37 K  Slaps total: 9628 9 K
 FrivolousSports said 🔗
Wayne got everyone doing this sh1t smh
Its been going on longer than u think. People are just vocal about this nonsense now.

7 months ago '09        #134
wettems35 
Props total: 5420 5 K  Slaps total: 347 347
 FrivolousSports said 🔗
We have a documentary of jay recording an album
Edited and final approval by Jay and his peoples

7 months ago '15        #135
edub911 
Props total: 13621 13 K  Slaps total: 2147 2 K
 FrivolousSports said 🔗
Wayne got everyone doing this sh1t smh
Jay z lol

7 months ago '07        #136
FeedTheBeast 
Props total: 23689 23 K  Slaps total: 2649 2 K
I can tell when a n1gga really not spitting and he being punched in to make it sound seamless....soon as I hear that "gimmick" flow Im turned off
emoji

7 months ago '22        #137
KillaNipZayKiss 
Props total: 4519 4 K  Slaps total: 2430 2 K
 Shifty said 🔗

They're coming up with lines as they go, but rapping them a couple bars at a time.

Punching in is just recording where you last left off instead of recording it all the way through.

JayZ is not going in there and rapping full songs off the top of his head unless he's freestyling/rapping a song he already memorized (basically prepared before coming in the studio).

Wayne and Jay are not always 1 taking it(although they have done that countless times) but they have written the full verse in their head and might only lay it in the booth a few bars at a time because they are working out the flow or whatever.

That's different than coming up with a few bars at a time. Wayne and Jay have a full verse(if not whole song sometimes) written in their heads before they ever step in the booth.

7 months ago '15        #138
 ki1laNipZayKiss said 🔗
Wayne and Jay are not always 1 taking it(although they have done that countless times) but they have written the full verse in their head and might only lay it in the booth a few bars at a time because they are working out the flow or whatever.

That's different than coming up with a few bars at a time. Wayne and Jay have a full verse(if not whole song sometimes) written in their heads before they ever step in the booth.
Nah.

7 months ago '15        #139
YouthFountain 
Props total: 5594 5 K  Slaps total: 282 282
 Trismegistus said 🔗
I knew about the punch-in method back around 2000 or so when I was in the studio but it was done more so to make your verses sound clean. For example, in between lines, there might be certain words that are difficult to say right behind each other cleanly. So you’d punch the bars in separately. At least with us, no one was using this method to make it sound like they were freestyling.
This. I worked with a producer who worked with Raekwon who said he recorded the whole Purple Tape this way.
+2   

7 months ago '06        #140
Hit Em' Up 
Props total: 10394 10 K  Slaps total: 1565 1 K
 Shifty said 🔗
This is old news.

JayZ punches in, he has a video showing his recording process during WTT.

You actually have to know how to rap in order to punch in effectively, or else it'll be off beat and your words will be cut out with the next punch-in/recording where you last left off.

Luoe has freestyled on the radio, but he punches in like everyone else does and so does JayZ.

JayZ is punching in at 07:30 during the WTT mini documentary.

↪🔗

He punches in like everybody else does
Okay I guess I didn’t understand what punching in was. I thought it getting it done all off the top in one shot but he’s clearly going over some of the lines a few times before recording again and definitely re-recording sections he started offbeat, you can tell parts he continued way too fast. I dunno I guess the new gen really just thinks they can spit a whole song in one take punching in
+2   

7 months ago '23        #141
Trismegistus 
Props total: 2913 2 K  Slaps total: 1317 1 K
 YouthFountain said 🔗
This. I worked with a producer who worked with Raekwon who said he recorded the whole Purple Tape this way.
That’s when I realized that recording in the studio wasn’t like what we used to do at home where we plug the mic into the stereo or put two radios together and rap it all in one take.
emoji
+2   

7 months ago '21        #142
JugBeats  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
Props total: 10881 10 K  Slaps total: 682 682
How has this thread become about jay z? Im lost.
emoji

7 months ago '14        #143
Mil Town 
Props total: 2661 2 K  Slaps total: 179 179
 loveeveryday said 🔗
Some do go completely off the top if you listen close enough you can tell which songs are full freestyle and which are punches

The faster the rapping the more likely it’s a punch in
Except Twista for the most part IMHO.

7 months ago '07        #144
A-L-P 
Props total: 19126 19 K  Slaps total: 2020 2 K
 Shifty said 🔗

I remember Cam talking about his session with Jay for Welcome to NY City. He said Jay literally came in, listened to the beat and his verses in one take on the spot within 15 minutes. Jay’s verse doesn’t sound pre-written because it’s very specific to what the sample of the beat is saying and he references Cam.

There’s another instance of him doing this when he recorded Public Service Announcement. Some journalist who was there during the session and he said that the conversation they had 15 minutes prior ended up as subject matter in his verse when he went in the booth to record. The part where he said “I don’t know why I be buying expensive chains, I’m like Che Guevara with bling on, I’m complex, I never claimed to have wings on…….”, that was inspired by his convo 15 minutes prior.

Edit:
I’m correcting the falsehood, not out of malice or wanting to be argumentative but because I keep up with hip hop history. And I would expect (and hope) someone would do the same to me if I was spreading a falsehood about a fact they know more about than I do.

Last edited by A-L-P; 09-21-2023 at 10:57 PM..

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
Adam 22 & Lena the Plug at it again
129 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fallout debuts at 95% Rotten Tomatoes: “Best video game adaptation ever”
54 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
props-169
Video inside Apr 10 - Donald Trump stopped by a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Atlanta, G..
213 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Top 30 Worst Games of All Time
33 comments
1 day ago
@games