New software may put an end to Netflix password sharing

most viewed right now
+59  37
30 comments @thotties

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 month ago '13        #1
3179 page views
51 comments

eazy253 209 heat pts209
space
space
$2,276 | Props total: 4621 4621
New software may put an end to Netflix password sharing

A video software firm has come up with a way to prevent people from sharing their account details for Netflix and other streaming services with friends and family members.

UK-based Synamedia unveiled the artificial intelligence software at the CES 2019 technology trade show in Las Vegas, claiming it could save the streaming industry billions of dollars over the next few years.

Casual password sharing is practiced by more than a quarter of millennials, according to figures from market research company Magid.

Separate figures from research firm Parks a*sociates predicts that by $9.9 billion (£7.7bn) of pay-TV revenues and $1.2 billion of revenue from subscription-based streaming services will be lost to credential sharing each year.

The AI system developed by Synamedia uses machine learning to analyze account activity and recognize unusual patterns, such as account details being used in two locations within similar time periods.

The idea is to spot instances of customers sharing their account credentials illegally and offering them a premium shared account service that will authorize a limited level of password sharing.

"Casual credentials sharing is becoming too expensive to ignore. Our new solution gives operators the ability to take action," said Jean-Marc Racine, Synamedia's chief product officer.

"Many casual users will be happy to pay an additional fee for a premium, shared service with a greater number of concurrent users. It's a great way to keep honest people honest while benefiting from an incremental revenue stream."

The company said it is already carrying out trials with a number of pay-TV operators but did not reveal which ones.

Pay-TV operators and streaming services will be able to integrate the AI software into their existing platforms, helping them track down large-scale operations of account sharing, the company said.

visit this link source
+1   

51 comments for "New software may put an end to Netflix password sharing"

1 month ago '06        #2
RAZAH CUTS 6444 heat pts6444
space
space
$58,346 | Props total: 32646 32646
man fu*k this sh*t.. lol..
+34   

1 month ago '10        #3
SandmanNyC 26 heat pts26
space
space
$4,839 | Props total: 2645 2645
we need to terminator this company
+9   

1 month ago '18        #4
BrooklynDamien 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,374 | Props total: 9804 9804
The way it works can still be finessed. Just gotta coordinate who's watching what when
+3   

1 month ago '04        #5
Randeezle 
space
space
$2,500 | Props total: 1298 1298
oh hell no

[pic - click to view]

+59   

1 month ago '05        #6
tokinjohn 2951 heat pts2951
space
space
$17,338 | Props total: 87846 87846
 SandmanNyC said
we need to terminator this company
can't, they got original content. You rather watch ABC or Netflix?

Unless you mean anti Netflix company

Last edited by tokinjohn; 01-15-2019 at 06:24 AM..

1 month ago '06        #7
thekidd 52 heat pts52
space
space
space
$1,608 | Props total: 1291 1291
YouTube tv has up to 6 invites per account. Pay $40 everybody watches
+1   

1 month ago '07        #8
iswerve 178 heat pts178
space
space
$6,390 | Props total: 12179 12179
+1   

1 month ago '17        #9
Timberwolves 78 heat pts78
space
space
$1,764 | Props total: 7326 7326
 Randeezle said
oh hell no

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

+11   

1 month ago '08        #10
GoldBluded 700 heat pts700
space
space
$22,649 | Props total: 39647 39647
So you're saying our exes get the last laugh?
+10   

1 month ago '08        #11
ExNihilo 53 heat pts53
space
space
$22,633 | Props total: 31518 31518
You have 4 profiles on a Netflix, you can't tell me my 4 profiles can't use the service at the same time.

They makin it easier to look at "alternative streaming services"
+28   

1 month ago '04        #12
Mr AirRic 9 heat pts
space
space
$7,413 | Props total: 4083 4083
forget the price hike, this will make them a fortune. everybodys gonna have to jump off their parents accounts finally
+3   

1 month ago '17        #13
PrematureCome 
space
space
space
$20 | Props total: 92 92
Well my firestick my still can stream movies and tv shows for free. So I'm good if they ever release it.
+9   

1 month ago '07        #14
killacar 6 heat pts
space
space
$6,217 | Props total: 9536 9536
 Mr AirRic said
forget the price hike, this will make them a fortune. everybodys gonna have to jump off their parents accounts finally
Or it's going to backfire....I pay for the top tier, which gets four or 5 simultaneous streams at once, I really don't even use Netflix and have alternative means to access their stuff. If no one outside of my house can use it then I have no real need for the top tier, so either I drop down to the lowest or just cancel it all together.

I mostly keep it for convenience, but even my 5 yr old knows how to use other streaming sites, so I can save my now $16 a month
+6   

1 month ago '08        #15
Kewop Decam 91 heat pts91
space
space
space
$18,446 | Props total: 16424 16424
 Mr AirRic said
Not really.

Netflix KNOWS when there's multiple people using one account and they let it slide on purpose. They can k*ll that sh*t at any moment easily by making you register devices and IP tracking.

They can with the flip of a button stop simultaneous multi-logins. That is so easy to do and they have the capability. They just don't.
+6   

1 month ago '09        #16
Willi263 27 heat pts27
space
space
$3,849 | Props total: 5719 5719
as long as they don't f*ck with Plex, I'm good
+3   

1 month ago '06        #17
~ KiLLa KaZi ~ 
space
space
space
$5,195 | Props total: 1669 1669
 Kewop Decam said
Not really.

Netflix KNOWS when there's multiple people using one account and they let it slide on purpose. They can k*ll that sh*t at any moment easily by making you register devices and IP tracking.

They can with the flip of a button stop simultaneous multi-logins. That is so easy to do and they have the capability. They just don't.
They don't do it because they know they would get a sh*tload of complaints .. especially when ppl are out of town (diff IP from their home) .. when you take your streaming device to a hotel .. diff IP .. imagine the fu*kin' support team trying to deal with that sh*t

They already have a good GeoIP system now because I use a family member's acc and that sh*t will send out an email alert even when you are in the same damn city
+3   

1 month ago '08        #18
606robin 28 heat pts28
space
space
$6,632 | Props total: 5589 5589
VPN... The End
+1   

1 month ago '08        #19
Kewop Decam 91 heat pts91
space
space
space
$18,446 | Props total: 16424 16424
 ~ k*lla KaZi ~ said
They don't do it because they know they would get a sh*tload of complaints .. especially when ppl are out of town (diff IP from their home) .. when you take your streaming device to a hotel .. diff IP .. imagine the fu*kin' support team trying to deal with that sh*t

They already have a good GeoIP system now because I use a family member's acc and that sh*t will send out an email alert even when you are in the same damn city
If you're out of town that's why you register the device. Not only that, you could easily build a system registering and deregistering devices. Amazon has this right now for their video service but it doesn't lock you out, it just tracks views. It is not hard to figure out who is who and where when it comes to computers and phones.

The reason Netflix didn't do anything is mainly due to MINDSHARE and the info of what people were watching, where, and when is FAR more valuable for them at the time. Once you get your product into the hands of many, no matter how, you will win. You will be able to hike up prices and all that. I don't even think Netflix cares that much about upping the number of "unique" users. It's more about the numbers of views and if the number of "unique" users are paying.

Mindshare and information > *

Companies have literally let things go away for free for mindshare. Alias did this is with Maya so Autodesk would have to buy them out.
+2   

1 month ago '04        #20
Mr AirRic 9 heat pts
space
space
$7,413 | Props total: 4083 4083
 Kewop Decam said
If you're out of town that's why you register the device. Not only that, you could easily build a system registering and deregistering devices. Amazon has this right now for their video service but it doesn't lock you out, it just tracks views. It is not hard to figure out who is who and where when it comes to computers and phones.

The reason Netflix didn't do anything is mainly due to MINDSHARE and the info of what people were watching, where, and when is FAR more valuable for them at the time. Once you get your product into the hands of many, no matter how, you will win. You will be able to hike up prices and all that. I don't even think Netflix cares that much about upping the number of "unique" users. It's more about the numbers of views and if the number of "unique" users are paying.

Companies have literally let things go away for free for mindshare. Alias did this is with Maya so Autodesk would have to buy them out.

you've got a point, and i see what you're saying. but if that's the case, why would they spend resources to go against that (*see OP and what this thread is about)

1 month ago '06        #21
~ KiLLa KaZi ~ 
space
space
space
$5,195 | Props total: 1669 1669
 Kewop Decam said

True .. then all ppl would do is register or tell their fam to register their device to their acc .. Netflix going to stop allowing diff IP's connected/streaming at once? It wouldn't make sense unless they're trying to lock everything down to one IP .. but we all know that isn't going to happen

1 month ago '04        #22
sheva07 
space
space
$1,317 | Props total: 359 359
This is what happens when these companies start tapering off on growth. They start finding ways to boost revenue. They've already raised subscription prices and they are going to do it again. Now they are cracking down on password sharing - sorry to say, but they will lose more than they will gain.
+5   

1 month ago '08        #23
d3athb4dishonor 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,578 | Props total: 2572 2572
I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I remember just making a new account every month til they stopped that sh*t.
+2   

4 weeks ago '05        #24
MavsAreMyTeam 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,873 | Props total: 1191 1191
Netflix won't do it cause they could've done it a long time ago. Why p*ss off so many people?
+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #25
87HUNDRED 58 heat pts58
space
space
$866 | Props total: 6098 6098
I been using free trials for years.
+1   

Home      

most viewed right now
+28online now  45
Video inside Amateur Adult Film Star Crystina Rossi Boyfriend Gets In A Shootout Liv..
368 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+35online now  17
Happy Vday, Christina Rossi is single and ready to mingle
133 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+16online now  16
NBA LEGENDARY: The Portland JAIL BLAZERS STORY Told From PRIVATE JET FLIGHT AT..
47 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+21online now  16
Image(s) inside Captain Marvel: Box Office Projection PLUMMETS after Brie Larson press..
218 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy