Spotify Is Going All In On Podcasts With 2 Acquisitions, Will Spend Hundreds Millions More

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '18        #1
1380 page views
28 comments

Eclectic 162 heat pts162
space
space
$1,826 | Props total: 4950 4950
Spotify Is Going All In On Podcasts With 2 Acquisitions, Will Spend Hundreds Millions More

"Spotify announced it is buying privately-held podcast companies Gimlet Media and Anchor.

The company said it plans to spend $400 million to $500 million in podcast acquisitions in 2019.

As of late last week, the deal with Gimlet was expected to close north of $200 million.

Louis Lanzano | Bloomberg | Getty Images
Daniel Ek, chief executive officer of Spotify

Spotify made a major step into podcasting on Wednesday, announcing plans to acquire privately held podcast producers Gimlet Media and Anchor. The music streaming service said it plans to spend up to $500 million this year on more podcasting acquisitions.

Terms of the deals were not disclosed, but late last week, Recode and Vulture podcast critic Nicholas Quah reported Gimlet would sell for north of $200 million. According to Quah, those terms would make it the largest podcast industry acquisition to date.

"These acquisitions will meaningfully accelerate our path to becoming the world's leading audio platform, give users around the world access to the best podcast content, and improve the quality of our listening experience as well as enhance the Spotify brand," Daniel Ek, Spotify co-founder and CEO, said in a statement.

In a separate post published on Spotify's blog, Ek said he anticipates more than 20 percent of listening on Spotify will eventually be "non-music content." Gimlet's vast array of fiction and non-fiction shows, including "Reply All," "Startup" and "Homecoming," which was recently adapted into a Netflix series, will help add to Spotify's growing library of podcasts. Gimlet already hosted its second season of the popular true crime podcast "Crimetown" exclusively on Spotify beginning in October 2018. Gimlet has recently expanded its focus into pitching adaptations of its podcasts to Hollywood.

Anchor brings a different part of the equation to Spotify with its easy-to-use podcast creation technology. Anchor serves as a platform for podcast creators to make and distribute their shows. Anchor had 15 billion hours of content on its platform in Q4, Ek said in the blog post.

"Gimlet and Anchor will position us to become the leading platform for podcast creators around the world and the leading producer of podcasts," Ek wrote.

Spotify was down about 6 percent Wednesday morning following the announcement and the release of its fourth quarter 2018 earnings report. While it beat analyst expectations for operating profit in the quarter with a profit of 94 million euros ($107 million) compared with a mean forecast for a loss of 16 million euros in a Reuters poll of analysts, Spotify saw average revenue per user (ARPU) fall 7 percent in the quarter, as the percentage of cheaper subscriptions rose and as growth in relatively lower ARPU markets outpaced areas with higher ARPU.

Spotify's slowing sales numbers may have contributed to the dip in the stock as well. Sales grew 29 percent in 2018, down from 39 percent growth in 2017 and 52 percent in 2016.

-Reuters contributed to this report."

visit this link https://www.cnbc.com/2019 .. nd-anchor.html
+4   

28 comments for "Spotify Is Going All In On Podcasts With 2 Acquisitions, Will Spend Hundreds Millions More"

1 week ago '10        #2
JWebb 
space
space
space
$130 | Props total: 396 396
I clowned on podcasts for years until I started listening. Now I’m hooked. Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History is legit if you a history buff.
+12   

1 week ago '05        #3
jondaincredible 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,967 | Props total: 480 480
I listen to Hardcore History, JRE, and The Church of What's Happening Now. Any other good ones?
+5   

1 week ago '05        #4
Fauby 16 heat pts16
space
space
$4,266 | Props total: 8489 8489
 jondaincredible said
I listen to Hardcore History, JRE, and The Church of What's Happening Now. Any other good ones?
Depends on what you like. I listen to a few.

Sports: Skip & Shannon, Bill Simmons, Off Top (nba but they haven't had a new one in months so don't know if they still doing it)

Politics: Stay Tuned with Preet, The Axe Files, Why is this happening with Chris Hayes, Pod save the people, Today explained, npr politics.L, Crime town.

Random: Joe Budden Podcast, Joe Rogan podcast, Now what with Arian foster.

Those are my go to ones ... Still looking for some new ones

Edit: also check "Planet money". It's dope af but wish it was longer then 20 min episodes
+7   

1 week ago '11        #5
Jaymalls 58 heat pts58
space
space
$4,050 | Props total: 848 848
 Fauby said

Sports: Skip & Shannon, Bill Simmons, Off Top (nba but they haven't had a new one in months so don't know if they still doing it)

Politics: Stay Tuned with Preet, The Axe Files, Why is this happening with Chris Hayes, Pod save the people, Today explained, npr politics.L, Crime town.

Edit: also check "Planet money". It's dope af but wish it was longer then 20 min episodes
Will check... props!
+1   

1 week ago '07        #6
MOTTAFOOKAH 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,840 | Props total: 1646 1646
 jondaincredible said
The Church is all you need.. Uncle Joey that dude... The Big Podcast with Shaq is also good...

1 week ago '07        #7
Ares416 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$284 | Props total: 225 225
 Fauby said

Check out The Freeze Hiphop Podcast
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  1 week ago '17        #8
Rule 336 88 heat pts88
space
space
$9,443 | Props total: 35440 35440
I used to listen to Budden and Bill burr podcast. Now I only listen to Burr.

1 week ago '06        #9
StillFree28 44 heat pts44
space
space
$22,244 | Props total: 8037 8037
If anyone wants to deep dive into music, Dissect is amazing.

Season 1 is to Pimp a Butterfly

Season 2 is My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Season 3 is Blonde

The current season is on The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
+3   

1 week ago '05        #10
HIPHOPJUNKI 
space
space
space
$177 | Props total: 97 97
ear hustle is a great podcast its recorded in San Quintin Prison

1 week ago '12        #11
Gramz 814 heat pts814
space
space
$20,528 | Props total: 21736 21736
What's Good with Stretch & Bobbito is dope asf. Loved the episodes with Black Thought and Rakim.

1 week ago '13        #12
Hooper Hewes 13 heat pts13
space
space
$651 | Props total: 194 194
 jondaincredible said
JRE,
Church of What's Happening,
Jalen & Jacoby (Sports & Entertainment sh*t),
This Past Weekend w/ Theo Von,
f*ghter & The Kid (Brian Callen & Brendan Shaub: UFC and funny Pop Culture sh*t)
Kill Tony (Tony Hinchcliff giving people a chance at Stand Up w/ 1 min sets with professional comedians judging i.e. Joe Rogan, Dom Irrera, Jeff Ross)
Radio Lab (Liberal run but alot of random insightful sh*t?
Armchair Expert w/Dax Shepard
Your Mom's House w/ Tom Segura & Christina Pazsitzky (for the odd humored people)
Bertcast w/Bert Kreischer
Van Lathan's The Red Pill
Flagrant 2 (Listen, this sh*t is suppose to be sports related, but this sh*t goes left and off road so quick, if you are a PC shut in or can't handle jumping from sports to insults, might want to stay away. But if you like it, join their Patreon Podcast, thats the NSFW sh*t.)
Bodega Boys
Brilliant Idiots (Charlamagne & Andrew Schultz)
Doug Loves Movies (Doug Benson invites actors, random celebs and comedians for movie trivia in front of a live audience. It's hit or miss, but he has some hilarious episodes where Mark Whalberg will randomly pop in and that sh*t is retarded.)
You Made It Weird w/ Pete Holmes (another hit or miss Podcast. I do like when he does his intro rant w/ Kia Shine "So Crispy" playing in the background". lol.)
...and the list goes on and on
+1   

1 week ago '07        #13
JamcnPrettyboy 100 heat pts100
space
space
$24,548 | Props total: 9793 9793
My podcasts atm

Dunc'd on
Brilliant Idiots
Pod save the world

Looking for a good neutral or libertarian-esque podcast on american politics.

1 week ago '11        #14
BaseWhitaker 
space
space
$4,797 | Props total: 7933 7933
 jondaincredible said
Your Mom's House

Hey Hitlersssssss

Shoutout to all my main mommies keepin' those Jeans high n' tight
+2   

1 week ago '10        #15
mlim420 29 heat pts29
space
space
$1,457 | Props total: 497 497
Monstruo

1 week ago '15        #16
grown simba 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,070 | Props total: 1875 1875
I probably listen to podcasts more than music these days tbh
+3   

1 week ago '04        #17
Scoop24 15 heat pts15
space
space
$6,927 | Props total: 1701 1701
couple nice ones I like outside the same ones being mentioned

Mafia (the Mafia n*ggas was running the world)
Dead Man Talking
Fall of a titan - Steve McNair Story (crazy)

1 week ago '04        #18
vagangster 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,353 | Props total: 499 499
This is good news as I thought podcasts was the only thing lacking from Spotify. Can't wait to just use 1 music app

I'm addicted to old school wrestling podcasts

83 Weeks with Eric Bishoff
What Happened When with Tony Schiavone
Something to Wrestle with Bruce Pritchard

7 days ago '11        #19
tonio25 6 heat pts
space
space
$6,327 | Props total: 9800 9800
 StillFree28 said
If anyone wants to deep dive into music, Dissect is amazing.

Season 1 is to Pimp a Butterfly

Season 2 is My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Season 3 is Blonde

The current season is on The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
One of the most slept on podcast out there

Also Gimlet media puts out some dope sh*t
+1   

7 days ago '06        #20
Be Easy 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,916 | Props total: 6356 6356
My podcast bout hip hop related sh*t with jokes and worldly event sh*t mixed with experience

When We Feel Like It Podcast
Spotify-

iTunes-

Google Play-

SoundCloud-

7 days ago '04        #21
RoyceDa59 258 heat pts258
space
space
$15,380 | Props total: 6957 6957
 Hooper Hewes said
JRE,
f*ghter & The Kid (Brian Callen & Brendan Shaub: UFC and funny Pop Culture sh*t)
Kill Tony (Tony Hinchcliff giving people a chance at Stand Up w/ 1 min sets with professional comedians judging i.e. Joe Rogan, Dom Irrera, Jeff Ross)
Your Mom's House w/ Tom Segura & Christina Pazsitzky (for the odd humored people)
Flagrant 2 (Listen, this sh*t is suppose to be sports related, but this sh*t goes left and off road so quick, if you are a PC shut in or can't handle jumping from sports to insults, might want to stay away. But if you like it, join their Patreon Podcast, thats the NSFW sh*t.)
Bodega Boys
Doug Loves Movies (Doug Benson invites actors, random celebs and comedians for movie trivia in front of a live audience. It's hit or miss, but he has some hilarious episodes where Mark Whalberg will randomly pop in and that sh*t is retarded.)
You Made It Weird w/ Pete Holmes (another hit or miss Podcast. I do like when he does his intro rant w/ Kia Shine "So Crispy" playing in the background". lol.)
I fell off my podcasts cause I just listen to all Barstool Radio but you basically mentioned everything I used to listen to.

BaseWhitaker said
Your Mom's House

Hey Hitlersssssss

Shoutout to all my main mommies keepin' those Jeans high n' tight
Y'all in the cool guys club? Bart Chrysler is the fattest, most racist comedian workin today.
+1   

6 days ago '08        #22
buck_marley 
space
space
space
$77 | Props total: 107 107
The ringer NBA podcast and bill simmons are the best

6 days ago '04        #23
nicoled985 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,060 | Props total: 5679 5679
Comedy: Congratulations Podcast w/ Chris D'elia
Random Information: Stuff You Should Know
True Crime: Sword and Scale

3 days ago '04        #24
mista_millz 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,180 | Props total: 2256 2256
 Hooper Hewes said
JRE,
Bodega Boys
a**hole Army going strong
shout out to Andrew
sometimes too many p*nis jokes
but they funny

Top 10 most slapped recently  3 days ago '06        #25
Yung Dilla 1566 heat pts1566
space
space
$62,513 | Props total: 61224 61224
Jre
Church of what's happening now
Budden

Home      

most viewed right now
+46online now  42
Image(s) inside Which BX member needs to come get his wife?
121 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+30online now  35
Video inside Amateur Adult Film Star Crystina Rossi Boyfriend Gets In A Shootout Liv..
379 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+89online now  35
Image(s) inside Come Get Your Mama, Bruh...
106 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+40online now  25
Image(s) inside Kyle Kuzma May just have the best chick in the game wearing his chain ..
85 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy