Why God Of War: Ragnarök on PS4 made me sell my PS5

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

3 weeks ago '12        #1
2653 page views
92 comments

Faythung 
Props total: 19871 19 K  Slaps total: 1624 1 K
Why God Of War: Ragnarök on PS4 made me sell my PS5

We’re a week out from E3 and we’ve heard nothing from Sony about having any kind of equivalent event. It’s possible they could still announce one, since everyone seems to be leaving things to the last minute this year, but I’m going to guess all we’re going to get is a few more PlayStation blogs and maybe a few more trailers.

It’s been obvious for years, especially with all the controversy surrounding cross-play, that Sony considers itself separate from the rest of the games industry and would rather pretend its would-be rivals just don’t exist. So it’s no wonder that they’re not big fans of E3, even though they’ve benefited from it far more than Microsoft has over the years. Heck, the reveal year for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 basically won them the generation right there, with no further effort needed.

As it is though, and for whatever reason, the biggest newest story for the PlayStation 5, in the week leading up to E3, is that God Of War: Ragnarök has been delayed and that it’s also going to be on PlayStation 4. I do not consider this good news.

I’m not happy about the delay, I’m sure nobody is, but I never expected anything else given we’ve seen absolutely nothing about the game up to this point. Horizon Forbidden West might not have been seen properly until recently but at least we had a short teaser trailer and knew what it was really called, but neither is true of the new God Of War, which may or may not be subtitled Ragnarök.

No, what really upsets me about the announcement is that the game is cross-gen, and so is Gran Turismo 7. Which means, once again that Sony won’t be taking full advantage of the PlayStation 5. I’m sure Sony will claim the PlayStation 5 is the lead format and hasn’t been compromised but that’s simply not true. If someone comes up for an idea for Ragnarök that only the PlayStation 5 can do it’s not going in, simple as that.

If they wanted to make a new game mechanic based around the SSD, then no. Can’t do it, because the PlayStation 4 hasn’t got one. If they wanted to do something based around ray-tracing, maybe using reflections for a puzzle or the distinctive look of certain characters, then nope – can’t do it. Not unless you make two separate games, which clearly Sony is not doing.

Cross-gen games on PlayStation 5 look good but you always know that they could look better and that is infuriating to me, especially when I’m already being charged £70 for a compromised product. As some have already pointed out, it also implies the third game, if this is a trilogy, will also be cross-gen, which means this policy is going to potentially go on for four years or more.

Make more PlayStation 4 games by all means, they’d be cheaper and potentially more experimental, so I’m all for it. But stop wasting your time on games that are neither in one generation or the other. The PlayStation 5 is not cheap, the games are certainly not cheap – I did not pay all this money to have little more than a PlayStation 4 remaster.

The thing that really concerns me though is Gran Turismo 7, even though I don’t care about the game itself, as I have no interest in racing games. But according to rumours Sony only made the decision to port it over very recently. Why was that? I’m really not sure, but the only suggestions I can think of is that they’re either winging this and have no clear plan for anything, or there was a recent mandate from above to make everything cross-gen.

The weirdest thing to me is that Returnal is one of the few PlayStation 5 only games and yet it’s easily the least impressive first party game. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great game, but it looks like a PlayStation 4 title and clearly could work as one. All you’d lose is the short load times. So why wasn’t that ported as well? Was that because it came out before the mandate? Sony certainly didn’t put much effort into marketing it so were they embarrassed by it for some reason?

None of this makes sense from any angle and I can tell you if I’d know about all this before getting the PlayStation 5 I wouldn’t have bothered. So I’ve done the next best thing and have decided to sell my PlayStation 5. I’m not interested in Ratchet & Clank and with no E3 to show off any new games I’ve had it with Sony. I never did get rid of my PlayStation 4 so I’ll just go back to that, sell my PlayStation 5 (probably at a profit, or close to it) and wait until Sony decide to properly join the next generation.

visit this link Source

best
worst
92 comments

3 weeks ago '05        #2
Krazie 
Props total: 37693 37 K  Slaps total: 5211 5 K
We BeLiEvE iN gEnErAtIoNs
+2   

3 weeks ago '20        #3
D1dnt read 
Props total: 19896 19 K  Slaps total: 4691 4 K

Krazie said
We BeLiEvE iN gEnErAtIoNs
"sErIes X wIll hAve oUr BEsT LaUNcH LiNeUP eVer "

7 months later and still zero next gen games
+35   

3 weeks ago '04        #4
Da Ill One|M  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 13416 13 K  Slaps total: 787 787
 D1dnt read said

"sErIes X wIll hAve oUr BEsT LaUNcH LiNeUP eVer "

7 months later and still zero next gen games
He never said they would have the best next gen games Launch ever. They have more exams available at launch then ever before so it wasn't technically a lie.

Where as Sony generations talk was well cap
+3   

3 weeks ago '06        #5
TreZ 
Props total: 6831 6 K  Slaps total: 1787 1 K
selling a ps5 to just play it on ps4 is so stupid
+51   

3 weeks ago '04        #6
Da Ill One|M  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 13416 13 K  Slaps total: 787 787
This does suck, I was hoping it would be ps 5 only especially to use the dualsense features. Could do some amazing things with the gyrometer in it.
+1   

3 weeks ago '06        #7
TreZ 
 Da Ill One said
This does suck, I was hoping it would be ps 5 only especially to use the dualsense features. Could do some amazing things with the gyrometer in it.
im pretty sure it will have dual sense features if you play it on the 5.. i really dont see the big deal here
+8   

3 weeks ago '20        #8
D1dnt read 
Props total: 19896 19 K  Slaps total: 4691 4 K
 Da Ill One said
He never said they would have the best next gen games Launch ever. They have more exams available at launch then ever before so it wasn't technically a lie.

Where as Sony generations talk was well cap

they claimed best launch lineup and couldn’t even give a good post launch lineup after months and months of waiting I know the bar is low when it comes to xbox but this is easily their worst launch yet in terms of games
+4   

3 weeks ago '04        #9
KURUPTION!!! 
Props total: 4535 4 K  Slaps total: 316 316
What a hasty decision. You gonna sell it out of principle just to buy it again later? I guess he doesn't like better performance.
+20   

3 weeks ago '06        #10
TreZ 
 KURUPTION!!! said
What a hasty decision. You gonna sell it out of principle just to buy it again later? I guess he doesn't like better performance.
exactly.. makes no sense!
+1   

3 weeks ago '05        #11
TonyCartagena 
Props total: 55000 55 K  Slaps total: 9120 9 K
Another Thread Provided By Faythong To Say...

"Gooooo XBooxxxx!"

Edit: Got The Reddit Bros Mad

Last edited by TonyCartagena; 06-05-2021 at 04:44 PM..
+10   

3 weeks ago '04        #12
kalico17  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 783 783  Slaps total: 81 81
as a series X owner, ill never sell my series X to go back to the previous gen

as a ps4 owner who is getting a ps5, ill never sell my PS5 to go back to the previous gen

load times, fps, amongst other things. go back to the old?

people like this arent gamers and have no place in this section
foh
+30   

3 weeks ago '12        #13
TrillSwag  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 52227 52 K  Slaps total: 8019 8 K
 TreZ said
exactly.. makes no sense!
He's actually taking a stand on principle. Just letting companies sell you whatever they like and pay top dollar is dumb as hell. HZD2 and GOW being cross gen is not a good look. GOW wont be coming out until mid to late 2022. Which means we wont be seeing any major budget Ps5 exclusives until 2024-2025? There isn't one Ps5 exclusive thats even a MUST play right now. Demon Soul and Returnal are cool but nothing about them are MUST play games.
+4   

3 weeks ago '12        #14
 kalico17 said
as a series X owner, ill never sell my series X to go back to the previous gen

as a ps4 owner who is getting a ps5, ill never sell my PS5 to go back to the previous gen

load times, fps, amongst other things. go back to the old?

people like this arent gamers and have no place in this section
foh
Not wanting to get jerked by companies means youre not a gamer? Being a slave to a company doesnt make you a real gamer lol
+7   

3 weeks ago '12        #15
Faythung  OP
Props total: 19871 19 K  Slaps total: 1624 1 K
 TonyCartagena said
Another Thread Provided By Faythong To Say...

"Gooooo XBooxxxx!"

You posted that gif numerous times and in the same post used the name 'Faythong'?

There's someone who's unsure of their s*xuality here and it ain't me.
+8   

3 weeks ago '05        #16
Krazie 
Props total: 37693 37 K  Slaps total: 5211 5 K
 Faythung said
You posted that gif numerous times and in the same post used the name 'Faythong'?

There's someone who's unsure of their s*xuality here and it ain't me.
My man either has bookmarked or googled "Gay cheerleader" numerous times
+4   

3 weeks ago '14        #17
K Robinson 
Props total: 6775 6 K  Slaps total: 1843 1 K
I guess true next gen will start 2023.
+2   

3 weeks ago '16        #18
Quinn 
Props total: 5479 5 K  Slaps total: 1370 1 K
 TrillSwag said
He's actually taking a stand on principle. Just letting companies sell you whatever they like and pay top dollar is dumb as hell. HZD2 and GOW being cross gen is not a good look. GOW wont be coming out until mid to late 2022. Which means we wont be seeing any major budget Ps5 exclusives until 2024-2025? There isn't one Ps5 exclusive thats even a MUST play right now. Demon Soul and Returnal are cool but nothing about them are MUST play games.

with the current market he would be making the best decision. considering he can make money selling his Ps5 used, and buy it later when stock is more reasonable at MSRP.

these Sony stans, refuse to use their brains for any form of complex thinking
+7   

3 weeks ago '13        #19
rifair 
Props total: 10172 10 K  Slaps total: 2296 2 K
 TrillSwag said
This is what I've been saying
+1   

3 weeks ago '12        #20
 Quinn said
with the current market he would be making the best decision. considering he can make money selling his Ps5 used, and buy it later when stock is more reasonable at MSRP.

these Sony stans, refuse to use their brains for any form of complex thinking
Yeah and if he picks it up in 1-2 years he could probably even score one under retail while all the games that came out will be on sale and much cheaper.
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #21
KURUPTION!!! 
 TrillSwag said
You don't buy it in the first place then. We already knew that Spider-Man and Horizon were already going to be on PS4 as well at launch, why not make the decision then as opposed to having to sell it only to buy it again and make no mistake he will buy it again and pay that top dollar all over again. You already have it, you might as well keep it. With the first two exclusives not being the most accessible titles I agree with you, there's no real reason to own either of these consoles now unless you care about performance because 30 fps ain't it.
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #22
KURUPTION!!! 
 TrillSwag said
Yeah and if he picks it up in 1-2 years he could probably even score one under retail while all the games that came out will be on sale and much cheaper.
It's not dropping in price that fast especially with this shortage. At least he won't have to sell at a loss, he'll probably even make a couple dollars.

3 weeks ago '13        #23
THEDONN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 72202 72 K  Slaps total: 29109 29 K
man they trippin

3 weeks ago '12        #24
LicensedLegend 
Props total: 9941 9 K  Slaps total: 1362 1 K
 Da Ill One said
Why wouldn’t it use the dual sense features? Other cross gen games use it, and forbidden west is going to use it.
+1   

3 weeks ago '06        #25
canal_boys  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2025 2 K  Slaps total: 527 527
LoL what I dumb decision unless you needed the money.
+3   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  32
New Jersey waitress abducted, a*saulted after chasing 5 people who ran out on ..
77 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-64online now  20
Video inside Tasha K EXPOSES Young Buck Is Broke & Living w/ His HIV Positive TR@NSG..
158 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+78online now  18
What do you think is the avg median income of Boxden
325 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  9
Article inside Vin Diesel Explains What Caused Tension With Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnso..
70 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy