Who has a home theater PC??

most viewed right now
Future & Young Thug - Super Slimey (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thr..
241 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
All New Audi A7 Sportback !! this sh-t is FIRE
24 comments
@rides
most viewed right now
XXXTentacion reportedly signs Capitol Records deal worth $6 million
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Assassins Creed Yeezy
3 comments
@gear

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 9 months ago '05        #1
469 pageviews
11 comments

Sol Rock 
space
space
$977 | Props total: 30 30
Who has a home theater PC??

Debating on building one for the living room.

I kind of want to keep it like a console, so I'm still debating on what parts I want to go with. I was thinking of the Fractal Design Node 202, but it doesn't have a optical drive bay, so I dunno. I would only need the optical drive bay for a bluray player... tryna keep it like a console, once again.

What I really need help with is the "OS", I want a real nice looking user interface.. I've just started doing research on that, (steam OS, Kodi, etc) but if someone already has a nice set up, let me know what you're using as far as software/hardware.

Point blank, just need to be able to do decent gaming on it, play blu rays (maybe), and mostly use Netflix/Youtube/HBO

11 comments for "Who has a home theater PC??"

9 months ago '16        #2
mia4life128 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$250 | Props total: 396 396
For a Home Theater PC any OS will work what's important is just the media player you'll be using some better then others VLC is one I use for Blu Ray playback. One of the most common is Windows 7 and its Windows Media Center app. MacOS is also used, Linux as well.

For gaming hardware wise your going to need a decent GPU something like NVIDA GTX 980 to 1070. (1080 if you have the budget) or AMDs Equivalent Polaris GPU (Blower style GPU is best for the small form factor your going with). The other thing is what CPU (intel core i5) and chipset (Motherboard choice) your going to be going with and if you plan on overclocking. If you do, you might want to look into a closed loop cpu cooler to keep temps down. If you not going to be overclocking stock fans can work perfectly. It would be ideal to have at least an fan or 2 120mm in size, Just to keep the case with positive air pressure. Helps reduce heat in the case. other then that You can pick whether you want to go with an ssd or a 2.5in optical drive, I wouldn't worry to much about the blu-ray slot since they have players that can run on usb, which you should have more then enough ports.

Other then that it should run and play whatever you need.
Sol Rock and 1 others gave props

9 months ago '05        #3
Sol Rock  OP
space
space
I haven't really looked into it too much yet but, it seems you can boot directly into Kodi. I dabbled with it yesterday & was able to have my movies played through there. Also seen something about being able to dual-boot with SteamOS.

^Those are my biggest 'concerns', I really want this to be like a console, OS wise. I already have a PC with two 1070s in SLI. With this build, I'm debating on going with a Mini ITX (tower, cube, etc) or a horizontal option, to keep it 'console like'. I might go with the Fractal Design Node 202.

Here's the list for the parts I was thinking about.

Case: Fractal Design Node 202
Motherboard: Asus H170I-PRO/CSM
CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7 GHz Quad Core
CPU Cooler: Cryorig C7
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-2133 (2 x 16 GB)
Graphics: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB STRIX
PSU: Corsair SF 450W SFX
Storage: Sandisk SSD 120 GB

I think I'm going with this case. I miss out on the optical drive but, whatever. I don't even own DVDs or Blurays, but I just wanted it just in case the situation arises. I don't plan on overclocking this at all, and I don't think I game enough to really need a better GPU. I really don't know why I went with 2 1070s, I think I would've been fine with 1 & not even be able to tell the difference. So, I'm downgrading a bit to the 1050 for this build. The SSD is just because it was the best price per GB, and it's only going to be for Windows / the few amount of software I'll have on there. I plan on buying an external hard drive just for this build, unless I could stream what I have connected to my PC to this new console build.. I dunno, that's the sh*t I really need to figure out. The whole, running Kodi & how to sync up multiple devices and stuff like that.
 9 months ago '05        #4
Sol Rock  OP
space
space
So, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on that build soon. Did a quick google search and it seems that Kodi can be what the PC boots into, and allows the streaming options I need / can have Steam as an add on.

mia4life128 gave props

9 months ago '16        #5
mia4life128 4 heat pts
space
space
space
That pretty dope I see what it doing, to get it to boot directly. Its creating a policy to have the program start like a normal windows service. Your parts list is solid one things I would recommend just because of the case is considering a Blower style GPU, ASUS should have them, if not think about adding 2 additional 120mm Static Pressure fans. Even with the smallest bit of gaming. The GPU with generate a lot of heat. You don't want it to affect your CPU, or especially, your SSD. You want to keep cool positive air pressure in your case. Other then that. I don't see the need to add and external HDD. If your PC has enough space and you store any and all media files, Just create a home network shared folder and have it point to the directory of where you keep all you media. makes for a cleaner look to.
 9 months ago '13        #6
JosethaHustler 15 heat pts15
space
space
$3,933 | Props total: 4517 4517
Why no liquid cooled system?
 9 months ago '05        #7
Sol Rock  OP
space
space
 JosethaHustler said:
Why no liquid cooled system?

I want to keep it in a horizontal, console like case.

Even then, I feel this is overspec'd but the gaming should be more than decent on it (better than my consoles)

If I wanted to liquid cool it, I'd choose a different case & probably end up just building the same PC I already have.
 9 months ago '10        #8
Trill Livin 64 heat pts64
space
space
$14,290 | Props total: 5763 5763
Never thought of building a PC for a home theater that's a good idea
 9 months ago '04        #9
CrAkKedOuT 938 heat pts938
space
space
space
$23,392 | Props total: 14435 14435
 Sol Rock said:

I want to keep it in a horizontal, console like case.

Even then, I feel this is overspec'd but the gaming should be more than decent on it (better than my consoles)

If I wanted to liquid cool it, I'd choose a different case & probably end up just building the same PC I already have.
With a little work you can fit a Corsair H55 in there.

Where the cables pass under by the screw. Just cut that small piece off and you can route the cooler tubes there. Obviously you'd have to file down what you cut so you don't cut any wires or tubing.

[pic - click to view]

In order to do that though, you'd need to get a smaller GPU as well. Really no reason to go with that overkill ASUS 1050ti. I also don't see why you went with 32GB of RAM for an HTPC. I'd say 16GB would be perfectly fine. With that said, made a few changes to your parts list. Saved you $136.

/

CPU: ($178.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: ($29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: ($91.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: ($89.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $758.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-23 23:36 EST-0500

mia4life128 said:
That pretty dope I see what it doing, to get it to boot directly. Its creating a policy to have the program start like a normal windows service. Your parts list is solid one things I would recommend just because of the case is considering a Blower style GPU, ASUS should have them, if not think about adding 2 additional 120mm Static Pressure fans. Even with the smallest bit of gaming. The GPU with generate a lot of heat. You don't want it to affect your CPU, or especially, your SSD. You want to keep cool positive air pressure in your case. Other then that. I don't see the need to add and external HDD. If your PC has enough space and you store any and all media files, Just create a home network shared folder and have it point to the directory of where you keep all you media. makes for a cleaner look to.
He'll be fine with the GPU he chose. If I'm not mistaken the case has a top and side vent for the GPU. 1050ti typically runs cool anyway so it wouldn't be much of a problem anyway.
mia4life128 gave props

9 months ago '05        #10
Sol Rock  OP
space
space
 CrAkKedOuT said:

Where the cables pass under by the screw. Just cut that small piece off and you can route the cooler tubes there. Obviously you'd have to file down what you cut so you don't cut any wires or tubing.

In order to do that though, you'd need to get a smaller GPU as well. Really no reason to go with that overkill ASUS 1050ti. I also don't see why you went with 32GB of RAM for an HTPC. I'd say 16GB would be perfectly fine. With that said, made a few changes to your parts list. Saved you $136.

He'll be fine with the GPU he chose. If I'm not mistaken the case has a top and side vent for the GPU. 1050ti typically runs cool anyway so it wouldn't be much of a problem anyway.
I think Im'a stick with the Cryorig cooler. I can't overclock this build so I don't think it'll make a huge difference. I've been watching reviews on this case & the argument over the type of GPU but, the difference of temperature is minimal. And, I decided to go with the 32 GB of RAM because I will still use this as a computer sometimes. It's main purpose will be as a home theater but I do plan on having it connected to other displays and sit at the desk every now & then.

The PC that I'm on right now is in the attic that I'm remodeling. Kind of got a man cave / music studio type sh*t going on right now. This PC I want to build will probably be used mostly for the living room, but I don't want to limit myself just to that.

I'm actually really debating not even getting a GPU, I might just use one of the 1070s I have in this build in the HTPC build. I dunno, I feel like that might give me more bang for my buck on the GPUs I have instead of having them in one build.
 9 months ago '16        #11
mia4life128 4 heat pts
space
space
space
 CrAkKedOuT said:

[pic - click to view]

/

CPU: ($178.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: ($29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: ($91.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: ($89.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $758.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-23 23:36 EST-0500

Your probably right if the 1050 stays as cool, it does have vents at the top also. I still think some fresh air helps, at least to push any heat as quickly as possible. The extra positive air pressure will aid in keeping dust out of the inside of the case. Just minor thoughts, on some improvement.
CrAkKedOuT gave props

9 months ago '04        #12
CrAkKedOuT 938 heat pts938
space
space
space
$23,392 | Props total: 14435 14435
 Sol Rock said:
I think Im'a stick with the Cryorig cooler. I can't overclock this build so I don't think it'll make a huge difference. I've been watching reviews on this case & the argument over the type of GPU but, the difference of temperature is minimal. And, I decided to go with the 32 GB of RAM because I will still use this as a computer sometimes. It's main purpose will be as a home theater but I do plan on having it connected to other displays and sit at the desk every now & then.

The PC that I'm on right now is in the attic that I'm remodeling. Kind of got a man cave / music studio type sh*t going on right now. This PC I want to build will probably be used mostly for the living room, but I don't want to limit myself just to that.

I'm actually really debating not even getting a GPU, I might just use one of the 1070s I have in this build in the HTPC build. I dunno, I feel like that might give me more bang for my buck on the GPUs I have instead of having them in one build.
Ah alright makes sense now. If you're looking to run games at Ultra the 1050ti is decent. You'd have to drop down settings to get to 60fps if that's your target. I had a $500 build with the 6100 and 1050ti. Made few videos for it.

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

IMO if you have the money for the 1070 just go for that. When your done post up in the Official PC thread
Home         

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oct 18 - Sex Abuse Was 'Price' of Olympic Gold: McKayla Maroney
90 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ashanti badder than BeyoncĂ©, Rihanna, all of dem
131 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent provides footage of Jimmy Henchmen 'ratting' on people
51 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL As I watch Shaq, this sh-t was not fair bruh
86 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Women's faces captured before, during and after orgasm in photography ..
209 comments
22 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
After you die, your brain knows you’re dead, terrifying study reveals
185 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Reporter that outed Cam, back reporting. Players visibly uncomfortable wi..
135 comments
24 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Bow Wow givin men advice n Gille responds
149 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy