microsoft botches....yet another windows 10 update KB4551762

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 week ago '09        #1
852 page views
15 comments

messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
space
space
Props total: 159846 159 K  Slaps total: 19664 19 K
microsoft botches....yet another windows 10 update KB4551762

visit this link https://www.bleepingcompu .. causes-issues/

The Windows 10 KB4551762 security update is reportedly failing to install and throwing 0x800f081f, 0x80004005, 0x80073701, 0x800f0988, 0x80071160, and 0x80240016 errors during the installation process according to user reports.

KB4551762 is an out of band security update released by Microsoft last week to patch the critical remote code execution vulnerability (CVE-2020-0796) affecting devices running Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909, and Windows Server Server Core installations, versions 1903 and 1909.

To install KB4551762, you can check for updates via Windows Update or manually downloading it for your Windows version from the Microsoft Update Catalog. Admins can distribute the update to enterprise environments via Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

If you have automatic updates enabled on your device, the update will install automatically and you do not need to take any further action

Usual workarounds not working

While usually there is a workaround to install the update manually or by going through a specific procedure when encountering errors, this time users who have encountered these issues (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) report via Microsoft's official Feedback Hub, on the Microsoft Community website, and on Reddit that none of the usual workarounds for the errors helped.

0x800f0988 and 0x800f0900 installation errors were also spotted and reported by Günter Born, one day after KB4551762 was released by Microsoft.

"Manual Windows Update on the local client works ONCE. It finds the patch, then does nothing! One can attempt to download and install from that page, but it doesn't work! Next, go to the Catalog," one user reported through Microsoft's Feedback Hub. "Attempt to select the correct configuration. Download the patch. Attempt to install it. Doesn't install!"

"When downloading this update my PC started becoming slow and sluggish, the update got stuck at 100%," another one reported. "I restarted the PC then windows updates broke and started looping for a while when checking updates, its now back to normal but now I have a failed cumulative update."

"So I've had this issue since KB4497165, but the latest KB4551762 is also giving me the same problem," another one said on Reddit. "Basically after it installs, it gets to 7% on the "working on updates" part, then tells me that it failed, and it's undoing changes."

Also plagued by CPU spikes, random restarts, boot failures

Other reports, although not as numerous as the ones saying that KB4551762 comes packed with installation issues, mention CPU spikes, high disk usage, system slowdowns, and system freezes.

"These issues began yesterday 3/13/20. The update, '2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4551762)' has failed every time I try to install it with the error code, '0x80071160', one user says. "When this issue began my disk drive also went up to 100% with little change. I restarted my pc multiple times but both issues persisted."

"After installing KB4551762 and KB4540673, my system has gone to thrash. Extremely slow and takes ages to get past the Welcome screen," another one explains. "After spending hours trying to login, I somehow managed to uninstall both the updates, rebooted, disabled and re-enabled HyperV but my system won't go back to being normal."

"Simply downloading the update caused my computer to overheat and freeze multiple times," a bug report on the Feedback Hub says. "Finally, with no programs open in the background, the download was able to go through. When I attempted to restart so the update could take effect, it would get stuck at 93% installing the update. Always stuck at 93%."

To top it all off, there are also reports of random restarts or failures to boot, as well as users who are having gaming issues after installing KB4551762 with the monitor starting to flicker after a game starts and the issue going away after closing the game
+4   

best
worst
15 comments

1 week ago '18        #2
IcebergIzm  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 3117 3 K  Slaps total: 1654 1 K
The "optional" update fu*ked sh*t up for me.

This only happens during 1st bootup aka log-in screen.
The screen goes pitch black for mad long before it gets to the log-in screen.

Reminds me of the windows vista days when we would get the bad ram errors and the infamous . . .

+4   

1 week ago '15        #3
CZNM22 
space
space
Props total: 966 966  Slaps total: 29 29
This is what happens when you don't have a QA team and use the consumer as guinea pigs. That's why I never recommend the Home and Pro versions. The best version of 10 is LTSC, it's debloated, more stable, only receives security updates - not those cumulative feature updates that always break, and is the purest form of Windows 10 there is.
+7   

1 week ago '09        #4
Baynut 
space
space
Props total: 4611 4 K  Slaps total: 424 424
 CZNM22 said
This is what happens when you don't have a QA team and use the consumer as guinea pigs. That's why I never recommend the Home and Pro versions. The best version of 10 is LTSC, it's debloated, more stable, only receives security updates - not those cumulative feature updates that always break, and is the purest form of Windows 10 there is.
All my machines run Windows 10 LTSC only. Anytime I fix a loved one's PC, I make sure to install it. Anything else is garbage.
+6   

5 days ago '06        #5
1 of 1 Houston 
space
space
Props total: 11105 11 K  Slaps total: 1173 1 K
It is time. Muahahahahahahaha...

+3   

5 days ago '16        #6
geolerello 
space
space
space
Props total: 274 274  Slaps total: 23 23
 CZNM22 said
Damn, I got the Pro. How I get this version?
+2   

5 days ago '16        #7
geolerello 
space
space
space
So this why my pc been running extra slow of late, kmt
+1   

5 days ago '18        #8
space
space
 CZNM22 said
I dont get it.

Thats the Enterprise Version...correct ?
What does LTSC stand for and is that also known as 'Business Suite' or something along that name?

Thats the one that allows Remote Desktop Connection? that everyone is now upgrading to due the virus aka work from home .
The one with 24/7 tech support also.

Thank you in advance for you helpful info and sorry for my dumb azz questions.
+3   

5 days ago '18        #9
space
space
 geolerello said
So this why my pc been running extra slow of late, kmt
Did u upgrade that PC from Windows 7 or did it come with 10 installed on it already ?
+1   

5 days ago '18        #10
space
space
 geolerello said
Damn, I got the Pro. How I get this version?
Just just to change product activation under settings.
[Warning: This is not free ]

U could probably use a kms activator and do it for free but i think it only last 180days then u gotta renew again and keep doing that method.
+2   

5 days ago '15        #11
CZNM22 
space
space
Props total: 966 966  Slaps total: 29 29
 IcebergIzm said
I dont get it.

Thats the Enterprise Version...correct ?
What does LTSC stand for and is that also known as 'Business Suite' or something along that name?

Thats the one that allows Remote Desktop Connection? that everyone is now upgrading to due the virus aka work from home .
The one with 24/7 tech support also.

Thank you in advance for you helpful info and sorry for my dumb azz questions.
No, Enterprise is just a step up from Pro. LTSC stands for Long Term Servicing Channel - it's lightweight (no bloat like Cortana, Live Tiles, Windows Store, Windows Edge, Candy Crush, and all that other BS) - although all of this stuff can be downloaded again through a terminal command. It also doesn't get feature updates, only security ones, and that is if you choose to update at all.

Think about it as Windows 7 Ultimate, but with all of the positive benefits of Windows 10 - all the good, non of the bad. It should've been the default Windows 10 version IMHO.

By the way, every version of Windows 10 I've tried had RDC - it was just a matter of enabling it in the settings.
+4   

4 days ago '16        #12
geolerello 
space
space
space
 IcebergIzm said
Just just to change product activation under settings.
[Warning: This is not free ]

U could probably use a kms activator and do it for free but i think it only last 180days then u gotta renew again and keep doing that method.
Thanks, I gotta look into all this
+1   

17 hrs ago '04        #13
persuazion 
space
space
Props total: 5249 5 K  Slaps total: 401 401
So just don’t install the update?
+1   

13 hrs ago '09        #14
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20 OP
space
space
Props total: 159846 159 K  Slaps total: 19664 19 K
 persuazion said
So just don’t install the update?

install the updates then uninstall KB4551762. do that each time you install updates because that sh*t will keep popping up. im not sure why the windows regime doesnt admit they fu*ked up and pull it
+1   

3 hrs ago '16        #15
geolerello 
space
space
space
I think they've remedied it cos I saw a similar update to this 1 pop up on my comp again

3 hrs ago '09        #16
Zaosyn 
space
space
Props total: 10049 10 K  Slaps total: 2141 2 K
I need that Windows ltsc didn't know it was a thing

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  39
Video inside Trav Tells The REAL Reason Why 50 Threw Yayo In The Bushes, Fell Out w/..
249 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
-55online now  30
Folks In China Don't Want Black Men In Their Country Because They Believe
198 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+24online now  22
Video inside Da Brat receives a New Bentley from her Fiance Big Booty judy!
221 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  10
Old heads who had the better "I Wish"
76 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy