Questions about 5x5 stronglifts

most viewed right now
NFL ESPN censors Max Kellerman's NFL Ether
28 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake gets new tattoo to commemorate slain friend and Denzel Washington
59 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Ratings down big time again this year. Lowest CBS rating since 1998
48 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 CyHi The Prince Says Theres a secret Underworld In music biz that can lead you..
7 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 4 months ago '15        #21
A NON 6 heat pts
space
space
$931 | Props total: 1063 1063
 DUGGEY said:
So on days that include doing Deadlifts, it says to only do 1 set of 5 deadlifts right at the end. And it says to not add more sets. Anyone think there's any real issue with adding another set or 2? I a.ssume not but I don't wanna be that guy who doesn't follow the protocol when I'm uneducated and then winds up screwing it up. I'm trying to follow the program as closely as possible, but I feel like I'm not getting the full benefits that deadlifts bring only doing max 10 reps a week...
Dude you got it a little confused, it appears

That 1×5 refers to a working set, which can be defined as "post-warmup" sets.

An example...A Non's 5 rep max of dead lift is 405. But the first set of dead lift is 135 for five reps, then 185, then 225, then 275, then 315, then 365...then if he completes 405 for five reps, then that is A Non's one working set.

If he doesnt...then 365 is his working set because it was the last set he completed.

This helps promote progressive overload, which leads to that muscle growth you looking for.

Progressive overload requires a gradual increase in volume, intensity, frequency or time in order to achieve the targeted goal of the user. In this context, volume and intensity are defined as follows: Volume is the total number of repetitions multiplied by the resistance used as performed in specific periods of time.
On bench or overhead press, your last five sets will be your working sets and anything before that is simply a warm-up.

Right now you're lifting not a lot of weight, but to prevent injury, you should always start at the lightest possible weight and work up to your highest point.
DUGGEY and 1 others gave props

4 months ago '05        #22
Sluggernaut 17 heat pts17
space
space
$22,699 | Props total: 3499 3499
 A NON said:

An example...A Non's 5 rep max of dead lift is 405. But the first set of dead lift is 135 for five reps, then 185, then 225, then 275, then 315, then 365...then if he completes 405 for five reps, then that is A Non's one working set.

If he doesnt...then 365 is his working set because it was the last set he completed.

This helps promote progressive overload, which leads to that muscle growth you looking for.

On bench or overhead press, your last five sets will be your working sets and anything before that is simply a warm-up.

Right now you're lifting not a lot of weight, but to prevent injury, you should always start at the lightest possible weight and work up to your highest point.
Well said A Non

So OP you just starting out, find your working set by doing what A Non said

And the next time you do the same muscle group, you would know your bench mark (no pun)
DUGGEY gave props

4 months ago '14        #23
abatio23 
space
space
space
$344 | Props total: 735 735
 DUGGEY said:
Hey guys,
So over the past few months I've gotten back on my sh*t and got back on the healthy lifestyle. Very strict eating and water intake, intermittent fasting cutting out all white flour, most wheat and all sugary foods 5 days a week. Also have been doing moderate weight lifting, lots of boxing and some HIIT andkettlebells as well. I've dropped 10 pounds, I'm 5'7, 155 now.

With that all being said, I started doing the 5x5 stronglifts program this week to start adding back some healthy weight and more muscle to my frame and I have a couple questions if anyone has the time to drop knowledge.

First off, if I'm doing this routine Monday, Wednesday and Friday, is it okay for me to do some light boxing and sprinting on one of my off days? It says to not do much on off days as it could be counter productive, but I like boxing a lot and I feel lazy on days where I do nothing.

Also, I have started doing a protein shake after my heavy lifting sessions to make sure I get enough in my system. Should I only supplement with that on my lifting days? I'm very concious about staying lean through this process so I don't want to be pouring back a whey protein shake daily if it will go against my goals of being lean but with a bit more muscle.

Sorry for the long a.ss post, if anyone actually reads it and has some insights on this it would be greatly appreciated.
After i did my own research on Intermittent fasting and realized after two weeks and 8 lbs down that the body begins to burn crazy fat.. i realized this way of life is great. Definitely keep it going if it works man everyone is different.
DUGGEY gave props

4 months ago '09        #24
DUGGEY 4 heat pts OP
space
space
$1,931 | Props total: 803 803
 A NON said:

Thanks for dripping some knowledge. So just to clarify to make sure I get everything you're saying, am I doing the majority of this program correctly, other than my deadlift part? Do what I'm doing with the rest, but when it comes to deadlift, I should be doing 5 sets, just getting higher and higher until my final set which should be 5 reps and my 5 rep max? Do I have that right now or am I still misunderstanding?
A NON gave props

4 months ago '15        #25
A NON 6 heat pts
space
space
$931 | Props total: 1063 1063
 DUGGEY said:
Thanks for dripping some knowledge. So just to clarify to make sure I get everything you're saying, am I doing the majority of this program correctly, other than my deadlift part? Do what I'm doing with the rest, but when it comes to deadlift, I should be doing 5 sets, just getting higher and higher until my final set which should be 5 reps and my 5 rep max? Do I have that right now or am I still misunderstanding?
Pretty much, yes. You don't necessarily have to do five sets on deadlift but each time you train it should end with you hitting your 5 rep max or failing at a new one.
DUGGEY gave props

4 months ago '09        #26
DUGGEY 4 heat pts OP
space
space
I got MFP on my phone and have been tracking my food for the last 2 days...Anyone else got the app so I can add them? I figure a good way to stay disciplined is to be held accountable by other people as well. Also, is there any way to get a basic idea what my macros should be without going to the doc or a trainer and getting things tested?
 4 months ago '09        #27
DUGGEY 4 heat pts OP
space
space
So I've been on this for coming up on 2 months and things have been going pretty well I think. For the major 2 excercises that are most important to me I've gone up in weight substantially. I'm 5'7 155, I'm up to 215lb squats from 135, and I'm up to 220lb deadlifts from 175. My plan was to continue on this plan until the end of June, go on holiday for a week and then come back and possibly start a new routine. Should I go forward with that, or is 3 months of this not long enough to move on to something more advanced in your guys' opinions?

Still haven't calculated my 1 rep max yet.

Last edited by DUGGEY; 06-05-2017 at 11:29 AM..
 4 months ago '13        #28
eazy253 167 heat pts167
space
space
$1,961 | Props total: 2564 2564
 DUGGEY said:
I got MFP on my phone and have been tracking my food for the last 2 days...Anyone else got the app so I can add them? I figure a good way to stay disciplined is to be held accountable by other people as well. Also, is there any way to get a basic idea what my macros should be without going to the doc or a trainer and getting things tested?

What's your mfp name?
 4 months ago '13        #29
eazy253 167 heat pts167
space
space
$1,961 | Props total: 2564 2564
 DUGGEY said:
So I've been on this for coming up on 2 months and things have been going pretty well I think. For the major 2 excercises that are most important to me I've gone up in weight substantially. I'm 5'7 155, I'm up to 215lb squats from 135, and I'm up to 220lb deadlifts from 175. My plan was to continue on this plan until the end of June, go on holiday for a week and then come back and possibly start a new routine. Should I go forward with that, or is 3 months of this not long enough to move on to something more advanced in your guys' opinions?

Still haven't calculated my 1 rep max yet.
It took me six months.

You stop when you can no longer keep adding weight each workout.
DUGGEY gave props

New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Roselyn Sánchez Milf
53 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Portia Jenkins
50 comments
1 day ago