Bungie Splits With Activision, Keeps Destiny

most viewed right now
+22  115
41 comments @wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

3 months ago '07        #1
1075 page views
34 comments

MiseryCityTexas 35 heat pts35
space
space
space
$23,738 | Props total: 7932 7932
Bungie Splits With Activision, Keeps Destiny

Developer Bungie and publisher Activision are splitting up, an industry-shaking divorce that will see the shared world shooter series Destiny enter fully into Bungie’s control.

This development comes after years of tension between the two companies—tension that has existed since before the first Destiny even shipped. Bungie, the studio that created and has led development on the franchise, told employees during a team meeting this afternoon, framing it as fantastic news for a studio that has long grown sick of dealing with its publisher. Employees cheered and popped champagne, according to one person who was there.

“We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny,” Bungie said in a blog post today. “Looking ahead, we’re excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.”

Destiny, which first launched in September 2014, has had a long and rocky road through expansions, updates, and a sequel. The most recent major entry in the franchise, Destiny 2: Forsaken, was beloved by players but failed to meet Activision’s sales standards.

One of the most significant tensions between Bungie and Activision had long been the annualized schedule, which mandated the release of a new Destiny game or expansion every fall. Now, separated from Activision, Bungie will no longer be constrained to that schedule. “We’ll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we’re looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months,” the company said, “as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.”

For now, it appears to be business as usual for Destiny 2. Activision said on Twitter this afternoon that the game would remain on Blizzard’s Battle.net, and Bungie says the transition is “already underway in its early stages.”

Bungie also has a brand new game in development thanks to a $100 million investment from NetEase.

The news comes during a rough time for Activision, which recently went through an executive shake-up and has been cutting costs at its biggest subsidiary, Blizzard. Activision’s stable of mega-franchises has grown significantly smaller, having abandoned Skylanders and now lost Destiny. Two of the publisher’s other studios, High Moon and Vicarious Visions, had been working on expansions and content for Destiny 2. It’s unclear what they will helm next.

It’s also full circle for Bungie, which created Halo for Microsoft, was then purchased by Microsoft, and negotiated its independence from Microsoft in 2007. At the meeting to announce that deal, employees cheered, too.
+8   

34 comments for "Bungie Splits With Activision, Keeps Destiny"

3 months ago '09        #2
iamsoulja 202 heat pts202
space
space
$5,401 | Props total: 5981 5981
Time to come back home

[pic - click to view]

+8   

3 months ago '16        #3
mobchip 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,795 | Props total: 5581 5581
 iamsoulja said
Time to come back home

[pic - click to view]

They just bought six studios!?

But really, Bungie got their opportunity to withdraw from being an internal Microsoft studio, and I don't see them joining back with Microsoft like that. Especially since Microsoft is going to really be strict with them and they will probably only be able to make Destiny. There is no chance they will get Halo again, that will cause a huge war between studios at Microsoft.
+2   

3 months ago '09        #4
space
space
 mobchip said

But really, Bungie got their opportunity to withdraw from being an internal Microsoft studio, and I don't see them joining back with Microsoft like that. Especially since Microsoft is going to really be strict with them and they will probably only be able to make Destiny. There is no chance they will get Halo again, that will cause a huge war between studios at Microsoft.
343 is halo and MS should let Bungie do them E3 2019 Bungie is back im calling it they cant do it alone they will be back
+1   

3 months ago '07        #5
MiseryCityTexas 35 heat pts35 OP
space
space
space
$23,738 | Props total: 7932 7932
Bungie's gonna start working with Rockstar games again, and create something special.

3 months ago '16        #6
TrillPeez 12 heat pts12
space
space
$9,707 | Props total: 23210 23210
Destiny 3 gonna be the GOAT
+5   

3 months ago '13        #7
Thongsong19 4 heat pts
space
space
$16,374 | Props total: 16731 16731
 iamsoulja said
343 is halo and MS should let Bungie do them E3 2019 Bungie is back im calling it they cant do it alone they will be back
343 ruined halo

+8   

3 months ago '13        #8
Colvinman 115 heat pts115
space
space
$2,972 | Props total: 2911 2911
Next generation bout to be crazy
+2   

3 months ago '09        #9
space
space
 TrillPeez said
Destiny 3 gonna be the GOAT
I thought the same with Destiny 2 it didn’t live up to the hype
+1   

3 months ago '14        #10
LocdUpProd 684 heat pts684
space
space
$15,569 | Props total: 10406 10406
Bungie bout to stay indie they want their own creative rights and schedules

Be prepared for that “Epic games store” exclusive on the PC side.

CDproketRed success gave Bungie the greenlight
+2   

3 months ago '07        #11
Adam Is BeTTeR 2 heat pts
space
space
$14,200 | Props total: 4460 4460
Good, Activision is pure trash and ruined Destiny..

Bungie has been sh*t too since they’ve been with Acvtision. I wonder if they’re going to be independent or if one of the two major candidates will want them exclusively.
+7   

3 months ago '16        #12
TrillPeez 12 heat pts12
space
space
 iamsoulja said
I thought the same with Destiny 2 it didn’t live up to the hype
You're insane. D2 is amazing right now

3 months ago '18        #13
Lord God 78 heat pts78
space
space
$4,650 | Props total: 22828 22828
Great news!

3 months ago '07        #14
KeepinItTrill 44 heat pts44
space
space
$55,507 | Props total: 25961 25961
 Adam Is BeTTeR said
Good, Activision is pure trash and ruined Destiny..

Bungie has been sh*t too since they’ve been with Acvtision. I wonder if they’re going to be independent or if one of the two major candidates will want them exclusively.
I hate Activision...with a passion
+3   

3 months ago '17        #15
Hex 
space
space
$848 | Props total: 2182 2182
Soon as they announced that sh*t years ago knew it wasn’t going to end well. Hopefully they can get the magic back
+2   

3 months ago '09        #16
space
space
 TrillPeez said
You're insane. D2 is amazing right now
Right now....after how many dlc’s? When it first came out that sh*t was boring fast and nowhere near D1, it was a major step back shouldn’t have been that bad at launch .

I played D1 like crazy everyday D2 couldn’t even do it
+5   

3 months ago '16        #17
TrillPeez 12 heat pts12
space
space
 iamsoulja said
Right now....after how many dlc’s? When it first came out that sh*t was boring fast and nowhere near D1, it was a major step back shouldn’t have been that bad at launch .

I played D1 like crazy everyday D2 couldn’t even do it
Year One was great. The first 2 DLC's were a*s. Forsaken made it amazing. But I played the fu*k out of D2 Y1

3 months ago '09        #18
space
space
 TrillPeez said
Year One was great. The first 2 DLC's were a*s. Forsaken made it amazing. But I played the fu*k out of D2 Y1
I did too sh*t was iight wasn’t better than D1. I just quit playing but,I heard Forsaken made the game great again. Bungie gotta get back on they sh*t . I wish MS would have let them do what they wanted, Destiny would have been Xbox only .

3 months ago '13        #19
fredfiness 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,317 | Props total: 5298 5298
Hopefully Blizzard splits with Activision as well. World of Warcraft is terrible these days.

3 months ago '05        #20
Chuck_Remixed 396 heat pts396
space
space
$18,860 | Props total: 7886 7886
 fredfiness said
Hopefully Blizzard splits with Activision as well. World of Warcraft is terrible these days.
Unfortunately that doesnt seem likely as many of the og Blizzard folks already left or are leaving soon. Activision seems to have already cannibalized the company to the point where their isnt any real resistance left.
+1   

3 months ago '13        #21
fredfiness 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,317 | Props total: 5298 5298
 Chuck_Remixed said
Unfortunately that doesnt seem likely as many of the og Blizzard folks already left or are leaving soon. Activision seems to have already cannibalized the company to the point where their isnt any real resistance left.
Damn shame. Vanilla through WOTLK were great times...
+1   

3 months ago '04        #22
Ra-da-god 36 heat pts36
space
space
$13,311 | Props total: 4261 4261
 mobchip said

what makes you think that? from everything we've heard all the new studios have said they have the go to make "whatever they wish"

even the Coalition is being allowed to dip their toes in other genres

I mean Playground games is making an open world Fable game lol

Last edited by Ra-da-god; 01-10-2019 at 08:44 PM..

3 months ago '04        #23
cold_young_thug 42 heat pts42
space
space
$10,877 | Props total: 3870 3870
ehhhhh Destiny is trash and the bungie who actually made high quality games (halo 1,2,&3) has been gone. This isnt the bungie who made halo.
+1   

3 months ago '05        #24
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,360 | Props total: 6450 6450
That is amazing news. Destiny was trash because of Activision.

3 months ago '09        #25
Fatt Kidd BEP 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,920 | Props total: 12700 12700
Two companies I stopped caring about. IDK why I thought I was gonna read some good news. k*lled two good franchises. Halo and Guitar Hero. Call of Duty is hit and miss every year. They came together and still couldn't get it right.

Home      

most viewed right now
+97online now  33
Image(s) inside Opposite of ...fu-k all these fake "build a body" brawds b
37 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  29
NBA Gabrielle Union Explains Why Her Entire Household Went to Gay Pride Parade..
171 comments
24 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+181online now  25
When a black athlete posts a political opinion
128 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+47online now  19
Apr 18 - Trump: ‘This is the End of My Presidency. I’m F*cked’