Jan 10 - Astronomers discover radio signal from galaxy billions of light years away

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 months ago '05        #26
HARBINGER 458 heat pts458
space
space
$53,028 | Props total: 12807 12807
 OldBusiness said
Commander Shepherd beat the reapers.
U said you want smoke? Last time I checked the reapers won
+1   

2 months ago '05        #27
space
space
 ATLDOPEBOI30 said
What if we sent the signal
Ehhh. How many ways u wanna look at "we"?
+1   

2 months ago '05        #28
ChickzNKickz 103 heat pts103
space
space
$12,331 | Props total: 21201 21201
 HARBINGER said
I know that. It doesn't change the fact that light is constant. This is special relativity until proven otherwise. We measure light at this constant speed. How else would we know stellar distances? Ofcourse we utilize light years.. these are great distances in which the 0s are staggering in the absence of such. Go read up on special relativity then come talk to me youngin
 HARBINGER said
186,000 miles per second. Constant everywhere in this universe until we can agree on something better with the appropriate data and rigors of time @
Let me simplify this for you.

What part of the following statement don't you understand?

"Due to its unknown origin, it is possible that the signal traveled at speeds unfathomable to humans."

2 months ago '05        #29
space
space
 ChickzNKickz said
Let me simplify this for you.

What part of the following statement don't you understand?

"Due to its unknown origin, it is possible that the signal traveled at speeds unfathomable to humans."
Wheres the data? Its possible ..its plausible but I dont see any data. I see what he typed and your champion quote but.. Wheres the data? We can talk about possibles all day sir ..& certainly so in an uncertain universe
[pic - click to view]

2 months ago '05        #30
space
space
 HARBINGER said
Wheres the data? Its possible ..its plausible but I dont see any data. I see what he typed and your champion quote but.. Wheres the data? We can talk about possibles all day sir ..& certainly so in an uncertain universe
[pic - click to view]

Although my statement was posed as a question and is currently unfalsifiable, I never said it was a fact, hypothesis nor a theory.

I never made a claim. It was a simple observation. No data is needed.

2 months ago '18        #31
niruggg 45 heat pts45
space
space
$6,155 | Props total: 16742 16742
 Bighempin of QM said
From what I heard on NPR they said this ain't the 1st one that they got!
from what read in the article this ain't the first

2.5 billion light years though
+1   

2 months ago '05        #32
jj337 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$967 | Props total: 1628 1628
We could very well be the 1st life in the universe to reach this stage or maybe the last..

We def are a cancer to the universe lol why would any beings link up with us lol.. What type civilization sends signals across the universe the Bogdon Void is prime example of a g
Galactic Neighborhood that answered a signal lol
+1   

2 months ago '14        #33
rashadd 
space
space
$1,593 | Props total: 5644 5644
Don't forget the fact that if it really was 2.5 billion years old, then what are the odds that this civilization still exist...

+4   

2 months ago '05        #34
space
space
 ChickzNKickz said

Although my statement was posed as a question and is currently unfalsifiable, I never said it was a fact, hypothesis nor a theory.

I never made a claim. It was a simple observation. No data is needed.
You said we can only quantize a light year. That's not a true statement.

Last edited by HARBINGER; 01-11-2019 at 12:21 AM..

2 months ago '18        #35
Clayton Nigsby 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$349 | Props total: 460 460
aliens have a punk version of funk flex on the radio there too
+2   

2 months ago '05        #36
space
space
 Clayton Nigsby said
aliens have a punk version of funk flex on the radio there too
@ @ bill @

[video - click to view]

+1   

2 months ago '11        #37
tfc1193 71 heat pts71
space
space
$6,768 | Props total: 4065 4065
Who or what ever sent that signal did so 2.5 billion years ago. So to send one back would take even longer due to universal expansion. Good luck trying to communicate, if they or it still even exists.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #38
hbk83 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,591 | Props total: 2493 2493
 HARBINGER said
There's some issues with that. Light is constant. It's the same speed everywhere in the universe
According to our knowledge , I think they found some examples where this doesn’t apply. That theory isn’t 100% accurate but rounded to meet the conclusion almost like saying 99.9998 and 99.9997 it’s not always the same measurement but close enough.
People don’t realize many theories that are still taught in school even prestige colleges have been tested in the past 10-15 years and broken. But it’s what been taught so many years some places still follow through.

2 months ago '05        #39
space
space
 HARBINGER said
You said we can only quantize a light year. That's not a true statement.
I never made such as statement.

I said "quantify" not "quantize".

2 months ago '05        #40
cowlersleycowle 
space
space
space
$2,437 | Props total: 743 743
 bigkilla said
Isnít light years based around distance? Not actually time?
Its how far light can travel in 1 year

2 months ago '04        #41
ATLDOPEBOI30 76 heat pts76
space
space
$34,778 | Props total: 9330 9330
 HARBINGER said
Ehhh. How many ways u wanna look at "we"?
Maybe us from the future but then again we should have more advanced tech by then.

2 months ago '15        #42
Belief 8 heat pts
space
space
$774 | Props total: 388 388
It's Bobby Shmurda's hat

+1   

2 months ago '06        #43
991 37 heat pts37
space
space
$7,190 | Props total: 4023 4023
 mr_underground said
billions of years (with human tech). we can see 35 billion years in the past, so its crazy to think something like a massive explosion happened a million years ago and we're just seeing/hearing it. so who knows what going on in space right now. it takes to long for the info to get to us
Can you prove the science to me of a billion years? Or even a million years?

2 months ago '04        #44
RETURNOFTHEKING 15 heat pts15
space
space
$6,836 | Props total: 9713 9713
 ChickzNKickz said
I never made such as statement.

I said "quantify" not "quantize".
Nerds going crazy!

I think we can all agree itís far as sh*t and we will never know where the signal came from

Still very cool
+1   

2 months ago '07        #45
sleep23rd 4 heat pts
space
space
$7,033 | Props total: 2652 2652
it would be funny if they are picking up their own signal light years away

2 months ago '18        #46
GODGOAT 3 heat pts
space
space
$881 | Props total: 1561 1561
 ATLDOPEBOI30 said
What if we sent the signal
Imagine a body of water right now dropping a small rock in that body of water. When you see the ripples thats how radio waves work. Now imagine hearing your favorite dead rapper having a live interview before they passed away over the radio. That would make you panic and it would make me panic. But IMO we are not the only living planet in this universe and we understand how life on earth came to be and somewhat of a good understanding of the timeframe.But that dont mean we understand life on other planets outside of our solar system.
+1   

2 months ago '18        #47
PAPLE 
space
space
$1,860 | Props total: 9818 9818
If you really look at it we are like a Helen Keller when it comes to the universe.

[pic - click to view]

We are clueless in the grand scheme of things...

2 months ago '06        #48
dj5fingers 
space
space
space
$118 | Props total: 156 156
 mr_underground said

[pic - click to view]

Canadian astronomers have reportedly discovered a repetitive radio signal some 2.5 billion light-years away from Earth ó only the second example known to mankind.

A telescope in British Columbia, otherwise known as Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME), detected 13 pulses ó or fast radio bursts (FRBs) ó in July and August, according to a Monday report from Nature, a British scientific journal.

The findings were announced by Deborah Good, an astronomer at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Washington on Wednesday.

"Look! We see FRBs," she said of the cosmic flashes, which remain a mystery to astronomers. Before they were spotted over the summer, astronomers reportedly found between 50 and 60 examples of the radio bursts.

Good said that "if we had 1,000 examples, we would be able to say many more things about what FRBs are like."

The CHIME telescope found, as phrased by Nature.com, "the second known FRB that repeats, meaning that the radio flashes re-appear at the same point in the sky." The first FRB that repeats was detected in 2012.

The majority of the FRBs discovered by the telescope showed signs of "scattering," Phys.org reported ó which led the CHIME team to believe the radio bursts are "powerful astrophysical objects."

"That could mean in some sort of dense clump like a supernova remnant," Cherry Ng, an astronomer at the University of Toronto, told the news outlet. "Or near the central black hole in a galaxy. But it has to be in some special place to give us all the scattering that we see."

Astronomers' studying of FRBs can teach those who study more about where the bursts come from, and whether that region in its galaxy is home to turbulent gas.

"Until now, there was only one known repeating FRB.," astronomer Ingrid Stairs, also a member of the CHIME team, said. "Knowing that there is another suggests that there could be more out there. And with more repeaters and more sources available for study, we may be able to understand these cosmic puzzles ó where they're from and what causes them."

Slapped because of the source. We already know they lie about dumb sh*t.

2 months ago '11        #49
tfc1193 71 heat pts71
space
space
$6,768 | Props total: 4065 4065
 hbk83 said
According to our knowledge , I think they found some examples where this doesnít apply. That theory isnít 100% accurate but rounded to meet the conclusion almost like saying 99.9998 and 99.9997 itís not always the same measurement but close enough.
People donít realize many theories that are still taught in school even prestige colleges have been tested in the past 10-15 years and broken. But itís what been taught so many years some places still follow through.
The speed of light applies to light in a vacuum. it will always be the same in a vacuum. if it's moving through other mediums then yes it will be slightly altered

2 months ago '15        #50
AmillionMo 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,447 | Props total: 7485 7485
What's crazy to me is when we look up in the sky every day and night, we looking at the past!

We know it's other stuff out there but they prolly looking at us from their future and our past so we can never connect in the present

Home      

most viewed right now
-128online now  22
She's built for S*x...Its all she has to offer
126 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  15
Google Stadia
140 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
online now  11
Calls to cancel Jess Hilarious for being Islamophobic
147 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+66online now  6
Video inside Stressed out bear comes and sits next to a Guy while Filming in the wild!
77 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy