Jan 11 - NE states are killing sea lions to protect local fish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '18        #1
231 page views
10 comments

Your News Now 67 heat pts67
space
space
$684 | Props total: 4179 4179
Jan 11 - NE states are k*lling sea lions to protect local fish

PORTLAND, Ore. — Oregon wildlife officials have started k*lling California sea lions that threaten a fragile and unique type of trout in the Willamette River, a body of water that’s miles inland from the coastal areas where the massive carnivorous aquatic mammals usually congregate to feed.

The state Department of Fish and Wildlife obtained a federal permit in November to k*ll up to 93 California sea lions annually below Willamette Falls south of Portland, Oregon, to protect the winter run of the fish that begin life as rainbow trout but become steelhead when they travel to the ocean.

As of last week, wildlife managers have k*lled three of the animals using traps they used last year to relocate the sea lions, said Bryan Wright, project manager for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife’s marine resources program.

The adult male sea lions, which weigh nearly 1,000 pounds each, have learned that they can loiter under the falls and snack on the vulnerable steelhead as the fish power their way upriver to the streams where they hatched.

The trout travel to sea from inland rivers, grow to adulthood as steelhead in the Pacific Ocean and then return to their natal river to spawn. They can grow to 55 pounds and live up to 11 years.

A California sea lion that was trapped at Willamette Falls in the lower Willamette River waits to be released into the Pacific Ocean near Newport, Ore.
A California sea lion that was trapped at Willamette Falls in the lower Willamette River waits to be released into the Pacific Ocean near Newport, Ore.

The sea lions breed each summer off Southern California and northern Mexico, then the males cruise up the Pacific Coast to forage. Hunted for their thick fur, the mammals’ numbers dropped dramatically but have rebounded from 30,000 in the late 1960s to about 300,000 today because of the 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act.

With their numbers growing, the dog-faced sea lions are venturing ever farther inland up the Columbia River and its tributaries in Oregon and Washington — and their appetite is having disastrous consequences, scientists have said.

Last winter, a record-low 512 wild winter steelhead completed the journey past the Willamette Falls, according to state counts. Less than 30 years ago, that number was more than 15,000.

The sea lions are eating so many winter steelhead at Willamette Falls that certain runs are at a high risk of going extinct, according to a 2017 study by wildlife biologists.

Wildlife officials moved about a dozen sea lions to the coast near the small city of Newport last year, but the animals ended up swimming back to the falls within days.

So the state petitioned federal officials for permission to start k*lling the animals, which are listed as a federally endangered species.

The permit from the National Marine Fisheries Service says the targeted sea lions must have been observed eating at least one steelhead near Willamette Falls between Nov. 1 and Aug. 15 or have been observed in the same stretch of river on two consecutive days in that period.

Individual sea lions are identified by trained observers who look at brands on their back or tags on their flippers.

The animals are being euthanized by a veterinarian by lethal injection in the same way that dogs and cats are put down, Wright said. Their flesh goes to a rendering plant.

Before a sea lion is k*lled, the state must find out if there is a zoo or aquarium that wants the animal. If so, Oregon wildlife managers must hold the sea lion for 48 hours before k*lling it.

In a similar program, Oregon and Washington have already k*lled more than 150 sea lions below the Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River to protect threatened and endangered salmon.

+1   

10 comments for "Jan 11 - NE states are killing sea lions to protect local fish"

2 weeks ago '11        #2
SomeOnesoN 206 heat pts206
space
space
$18,181 | Props total: 4602 4602
I dont give a damn bout no sea lions, i care more about the fish me and my cat eat.. Sea Lions are useless, reminds me of overweight disability people in red states on food stamps.

If people make a big deal, ship them off to Asia.

2 weeks ago '06        #3
Skateboard T 46 heat pts46
space
space
$24,076 | Props total: 34090 34090
It’s called conservation

2 weeks ago '08        #4
Chedda 453 heat pts453
space
space
$18,194 | Props total: 43583 43583
Goddamn I hate what the world has become. They are fu*king animals. They have survived long before dumbass man interfered.

2 weeks ago '17        #5
Ncstate86 
space
space
$1,282 | Props total: 1929 1929
What is NE? This is in Oregon and Washington
+3   

2 weeks ago '10        #6
MrTripleDouble 
space
space
$2,958 | Props total: 2282 2282
 SomeOnesoN said
I dont give a damn bout no sea lions, i care more about the fish me and my cat eat.. Sea Lions are useless, reminds me of overweight disability people in red states on food stamps.

If people make a big deal, ship them off to Asia.
I couldn't help but slap. After reading this I couldn't help but think who molested you when you were a kid. All beings deserve love and respect. k*lling should always be a final if not unavoidable option. That's for both people and animals.

2 weeks ago '11        #7
SomeOnesoN 206 heat pts206
space
space
$18,181 | Props total: 4602 4602
 MrTripleDouble said
I couldn't help but slap. After reading this I couldn't help but think who molested you when you were a kid. All beings deserve love and respect. k*lling should always be a final if not unavoidable option. That's for both people and animals.
Wtf, youre a sick person. Does making a*sumptions about molestation come natural to you? That says more about you than anything else, i dont even think you read the article, or else you would see the hypocrisy/ignorance in your post.

There's too many Sea Lions now because of a law decades ago, no different than being able to hunt certain animals for over population which can be detrimental to the environment they/ and other animals/life live in.

Im still shaking my head at the molestation comment, thats something youd get slapped in real life for. Nothing to joke about.

2 weeks ago '07        #8
DaKid91 
space
space
$768 | Props total: 1020 1020
NE but the states in the west
+1   

2 weeks ago '10        #9
MrTripleDouble 
space
space
$2,958 | Props total: 2282 2282
 SomeOnesoN said
Wtf, youre a sick person. Does making a*sumptions about molestation come natural to you? That says more about you than anything else, i dont even think you read the article, or else you would see the hypocrisy/ignorance in your post.

There's too many Sea Lions now because of a law decades ago, no different than being able to hunt certain animals for over population which can be detrimental to the environment they/ and other animals/life live in.

Im still shaking my head at the molestation comment, thats something youd get slapped in real life for. Nothing to joke about.

Fair enough but you come off as a very hostile and confrontational individual. Show some respect. k*lling an animal who is just trying to survive is not a happy or fun thing. I get conservation and population control and that's a necessary evil that one should do with grace, not something that someone looks forward to on the weekends.

2 weeks ago '05        #10
Ron Swanson 284 heat pts284
space
space
$40,459 | Props total: 50035 50035
yeah Oregon is NOT in the NE homie lol

this is something that has been brewing for awhile, i got hella family in the commercial fishing industry so i been hearing all about this.

2 weeks ago '17        #11
lucifershammer 15 heat pts15
space
space
$4,406 | Props total: 21565 21565
Hunting serve the same purpose

Home      

most viewed right now
+35online now  38
Video inside You're 16 and find your teachers IG (this IG) ... What do?
83 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+70online now  20
Image(s) inside Lil thick Maryland joint 30 mins away I might gotta shoot that shot ya..
295 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+173online now  15
Video inside 6 Money Traps to avoid in your 30s.
109 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+81online now  12
Video inside I dont care how famous you are. If you are under 45 with full veneers y..
153 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+81online now  7
Image(s) inside Ku'ualoha
59 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  7
Jan 22 - Most Israelis don’t want non-Jewish migrants, even if they are highly..
115 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+77online now  7
YOOO IMAN SHUMPERT had THR*ESOME wit his WIFE & P0RN STAR & got P0RNSTAR PREGN..
163 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+191online now  5
Image(s) inside White guy at a black barber shop problems....
162 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy