Starting strength 5x5

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x7   |  0 bx goons and 7 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section health

2 months ago '19        #51
jordanair45 
space
space
Props total: 3238 3 K  Slaps total: 744 744
I did it while losing weight to keep my strength up. Really loved it.

I hate body building but I love power lifting.

If anything just the way ripptoe describes the lifts is worth it.

I havenít been in the fitness scene in years but good programs from my time were west side barbell and Lyle McDonald generic bulk routine.

Personally. When I go to the gym. I just follow what I feel. If I donít want to squat I donít. If I want to go light I will. Etc
+1   

2 months ago '17        #52
92baby 
space
space
Props total: 37863 37 K  Slaps total: 5836 5 K
 faceoffizhere said
Yup as you get older things get worse. You can always wear a weighted vest with squats or just hold something while doing them. Definitely avoids injury
I do pistol squats as well they are dope
+2   

2 months ago '09        #53
faceoffizhere 
space
space
Props total: 1871 1 K  Slaps total: 416 416
 92baby said
Yea I definitely don't enjoy em but very effective indeed lol
+3   

2 months ago '09        #54
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 92baby said
Ever try squat jumps?

2 months ago '17        #55
92baby 
space
space
 Read1bookaweek said
I never lift heavy because of the risk of injury.
You donít have to lift heavy to build muscle I just feel itís more effective
+1   

2 months ago '17        #56
92baby 
space
space
 faceoffizhere said
Ever try squat jumps?
I have probably done them but not on my own no probably when I played football
+1   

2 months ago '09        #57
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 92baby said
I have probably done them but not on my own no probably when I played football
Incorporate em I think you'll enjoy those.
+1   

2 months ago '17        #58
92baby 
space
space
 faceoffizhere said
Incorporate em I think you'll enjoy those.
How do you do them exactly are you just jumping onto the box from a squat position then right off?
+1   

2 months ago '09        #59
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 92baby said
How do you do them exactly are you just jumping onto the box from a squat position then right off?
You can do it either way. Start without the box /bench/chair and jump as high as you can and land into a squat then repeat
+1   

2 months ago '17        #60
92baby 
space
space
 faceoffizhere said
You can do it either way. Start without the box /bench/chair and jump as high as you can and land into a squat then repeat
Bet will it help my lift on my dunks?

Edit serious question
+1   

2 months ago '09        #61
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 92baby said

Edit serious question
That along with calf raises and lunges

2 months ago '17        #62
92baby 
space
space
 faceoffizhere said
Bet
+1   

2 months ago '09        #63
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 92baby said

Edit serious question

You might wanna look into plyometrics tho
+2   

2 months ago '17        #64
92baby 
space
space
 faceoffizhere said

You might wanna look into plyometrics tho
Ya you right
+1   

2 months ago '18        #65
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
Props total: 1771 1 K  Slaps total: 67 67
Squats no lie is taking like 35 minutes to complete. Let alone the rest if the exercises.

When is it time to switch to 3 x 5 for squats?

I haven't failed any sets yet. On 115 kg for 5 x 5 but I am having the full 5 minute rest between sets.

Really dragging it on. Pretty sure there isn't going to be much of a difference between 3 or 5 sets of squats in results imo.

Body wise I don't look much different nearly 3 months in. Arms have gotten bigger but they are always the first to blow up when I'm training.

Using my bench for squats and I don't have safety pins yet so will get some when the weights get heavier. I go just about parallel for squats.

When doing rows, my back is at 45. Degrees, but my form is getting sh*tter as it gets heavier.

Deadlifts is at 110kg atm and bloody getting harder..but form is good. Reset after every rep.. Got weight belt etc in my home set up just need some more olympic plates some 20s.

2 months ago '05        #66
crazyquicks 
space
space
space
Props total: 740 740  Slaps total: 80 80
 dinono10 said
Squats no lie is taking like 35 minutes to complete. Let alone the rest if the exercises.

I haven't failed any sets yet. On 115 kg for 5 x 5 but I am having the full 5 minute rest between sets.

Really dragging it on. Pretty sure there isn't going to be much of a difference between 3 or 5 sets of squats in results imo.

Body wise I don't look much different nearly 3 months in. Arms have gotten bigger but they are always the first to blow up when I'm training.

Using my bench for squats and I don't have safety pins yet so will get some when the weights get heavier. I go just about parallel for squats.

When doing rows, my back is at 45. Degrees, but my form is getting sh*tter as it gets heavier.

Deadlifts is at 110kg atm and bloody getting harder..but form is good. Reset after every rep.. Got weight belt etc in my home set up just need some more olympic plates some 20s.
If you're looking for lots of muscle growth, it's best to incorporate high volume with your workout. Your not gonna reach hypertrophy from the 5x5 program and your muscles will be under stimulated from reaching max growth, however, 5x5 is a decent start if you're new to lifting weights.

To reach hypertrophy (muscle growth) you really need to focus on hitting 8-12 reps per set.
+2   

2 months ago '18        #67
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 crazyquicks said
If you're looking for lots of muscle growth, it's best to incorporate high volume with your workout. Your not gonna reach hypertrophy from the 5x5 program and your muscles will be under stimulated from reaching max growth, however, 5x5 is a decent start if you're new to lifting weights.

To reach hypertrophy (muscle growth) you really need to focus on hitting 8-12 reps per set.
I hear you Brah. Been training body the reason I like StrongLifts is because it's very basic and easy to do and the app does all the calculations for you building style 6-8 reps for 15 plus years on and off.

I like stronglifts as the compounds do cover all of the major muscle groups. I'm sure if you get stronger your muscles will increase in size due to the increase in weight your lifting. I like StrongLifts as the app does everything for you involved with calculations and the exercises you do work the all muscle groups.

But at the same time it is a bit boring. Not new to weight lifting at all so may need to switch it up.
Like the simplicity of it, literally doing do 3 exercises per workout. Maybe add some bicep curls, tricep extensions but as the workouts take quite a long time I just want to finish.
Not sure how much longer I'm going to do StrongLifts for it would be 3-months next month so maybe scale it down to 3 x 5 for all the exercises and add some accessories work.

2 months ago '18        #68
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
So today scaled it down to 3 x 5
Added dips and chin ups. So should save on time. Will chop it up again in 6 weeks.
+1   

2 months ago '15        #69
WiseKing 
space
space
space
Props total: 6259 6 K  Slaps total: 1728 1 K
Ive been scared to go heavy for fear of injury but im looking to put on some real muscle mass. Bodyweight has me ripped but im looking at these young boys in college doing football strength programs and i want that power and look. Im 6'1 and steady at 205-210. My goal is to hit 225-235 by end of year

Starting with 5x5, lets see what it do
+1   

2 months ago '18        #70
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 WiseKing said
Ive been scared to go heavy for fear of injury but im looking to put on some real muscle mass. Bodyweight has me ripped but im looking at these young boys in college doing football strength programs and i want that power and look. Im 6'1 and steady at 205-210. My goal is to hit 225-235 by end of year

Starting with 5x5, lets see what it do
After some time, you may want to do 3 x 5 as the weights get a lot heavier, recovery takes a lot longer and the workouts take well over an hour to complete.

I'm currently on 120kg for Squats. Its difficult with no spotter or safety arms so squatting to a bench, sit and then push off. Not ideal, but I don't want any injuries and psychologically it helps... (in my mind anyway lol).

Enjoy contribute to this thread for advice /tips etc.
+1   

2 months ago '09        #71
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 dinono10 said

Gotta up your weight and change excercises for muscle confusion challenge yourself. If your form is ugly it's too much weight lower the weight until you have perfect form and it gets too easy

2 months ago '18        #72
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 faceoffizhere said
Gotta up your weight and change excercises for muscle confusion challenge yourself. If your form is ugly it's too much weight lower the weight until you have perfect form and it gets too easy
Yeah that's the thing with strong lifts other than adding and changing accessory exercises, it's pretty much the same.

Squatting to the bench now. My form is over. Just trained now.. Wrists were hurting so my form wasn't top. Used to be able to squat 130kg and not far off now. I may take off 20kg and get my form down...

I had to do that with OHP as my form wasn't great and I had a shoulder injury. Not too bad now. I'm 38 so don't want any serious joint injuries.
+1   

2 months ago '09        #73
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 dinono10 said
Yeah that's the thing with strong lifts other than adding and changing accessory exercises, it's pretty much the same.

Squatting to the bench now. My form is over. Just trained now.. Wrists were hurting so my form wasn't top. Used to be able to squat 130kg and not far off now. I may take off 20kg and get my form down...

I had to do that with OHP as my form wasn't great and I had a shoulder injury. Not too bad now. I'm 38 so don't want any serious joint injuries.
You might wanna stop messing with so many weights and just do calisthetics. Buy the adjustable dumbbells for arms shoulders and leg work. Add burpees and mountain climbers for cardio. Also jump roping and swimming. Incorporate some yoga to help with your joints and bones since you're older. You don't really need to be too big unless you are competing. At your age you just need to be durable,flexible, and mobile and you will be sculpted. Also Glutamine and chondroitin helps with that as well. Usually comes together
+2   

2 months ago '18        #74
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 faceoffizhere said
You might wanna stop messing with so many weights and just do calisthetics. Buy the adjustable dumbbells for arms shoulders and leg work. Add burpees and mountain climbers for cardio. Also jump roping and swimming. Incorporate some yoga to help with your joints and bones since you're older. You don't really need to be too big unless you are competing. At your age you just need to be durable,flexible, and mobile and you will be sculpted. Also Glutamine and chondroitin helps with that as well. Usually comes together
Funny you say that Brah...

Last year I was doing weighted pull ups/chin ups/push ups /diamond push ups. Usually with a 20kg vest or 25 kg vest.

I think that's how I damaged my shoulders. Doing weighted ring push ups.

Also done alot of weighted skipping with a 5kg rope.

All my life I've trained with weights and prefer it compared to calisthenics if I'm honest.

Will try chronditin.. I do take high strength cod liver oil/vitamin D.

My friends say the same thing in regards to being big etc.. I guess be safe, good form but I know my squat form could better.

Bench press until recently I was never going right down to the chest. Only recently I've been able to go down to my chest without much pain.
+1   

2 months ago '09        #75
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 dinono10 said
Funny you say that Brah...

Last year I was doing weighted pull ups/chin ups/push ups /diamond push ups. Usually with a 20kg vest or 25 kg vest.

I think that's how I damaged my shoulders. Doing weighted ring push ups.

Also done alot of weighted skipping with a 5kg rope.

All my life I've trained with weights and prefer it compared to calisthenics if I'm honest.

Will try chronditin.. I do take high strength cod liver oil/vitamin D.

My friends say the same thing in regards to being big etc.. I guess be safe, good form but I know my squat form could better.

Bench press until recently I was never going right down to the chest. Only recently I've been able to go down to my chest without much pain.
Doing the ring push ups? Those are better with no weights too much strain because you'reholding your body weight and vest weight.. Everything else is good tho. Cant knock you liking weights better tho. Try lower weight more reps to avoid injury.

I hear that cod liver is pretty good to but yea try combo.

Yea you just wanna be chiseled and strong and mobile. As you get older being mobile thats most important. But keep your form right to avoid injury. Do you stretch?
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  42
ESPN is working Paul Pierce like a mule ? Was Charles Barkley right?
67 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+21online now  39
Video inside Simp on phone begging his Girlfriend not to go out with her friend!
130 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+253online now  23
Kobes Parents should have gotten some respect on that stage
258 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+43online now  14
Image(s) inside Feb 24 - Former Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke beaten by inmate..
95 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy