Starting strength 5x5

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x8   |  0 bx goons and 8 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section health

4 months ago '18        #1
12374 page views
85 comments

dinono10 
space
space
space
Props total: 1771 1 K  Slaps total: 67 67
Starting strength 5x5

Well back into weights...

Been doing some weighted calisthenics for the past 6 months or so.

Mainly due to saving time and wanna to mix it up.

Fast forward now starting strength 5x5.

Any brahs done this?

Started it yesterday. Bearing in mind, I've been weight training 15+ years (on and off)..

What's your opinions on this?

I'm liking its the main compound lifts and only 3 times a week but.. Alot of squats and maybe down the line... It could take a long time to complete a session compared to how long it takes now (just starting)...
+5   

best
worst
85 comments

4 months ago '06        #2
Qbert 
space
space
Props total: 15984 15 K  Slaps total: 1586 1 K
I did strong lifts 5X5 but didn't stick it out to see results. I need to get back on it.
+6   

4 months ago '04        #3
Propel Water 
space
space
Props total: 6494 6 K  Slaps total: 1648 1 K
I did this for a couple months and wont lie, it got me in great shape fast however i stopped do to my inability to perfect my form for squats and deadlifts. I lift by myself and didnt have a mirror at my gym by the squat decks that allow me to watch my form.

Just started again except im using the hack squat machine/leg press/back extensions to make up for it minimally
+5   

4 months ago '17        #4
BLACK FIST 
space
space
Props total: 33411 33 K  Slaps total: 3700 3 K
yeah i'm on it too. first week though starting with baby weight so i can properly progress. they got a 5x5 app so you can track everything and it syncs with Google Fit too.

i was out the gym for two weeks, but i was doing pushups, pull ups, and BW squats, all with a 20 pound vest, similar to OP.

Last edited by BLACK FIST; 10-23-2019 at 04:50 PM..
+3   

4 months ago '17        #5
92baby 
space
space
Props total: 37863 37 K  Slaps total: 5836 5 K
 dinono10 said
Well back into weights...

Been doing some weighted calisthenics for the past 6 months or so.

Mainly due to saving time and wanna to mix it up.

Fast forward now starting strength 5x5.

Any brahs done this?

Started it yesterday. Bearing in mind, I've been weight training 15+ years (on and off)..

What's your opinions on this?

I'm liking its the main compound lifts and only 3 times a week but.. Alot of squats and maybe down the line... It could take a long time to complete a session compared to how long it takes now (just starting)...
It's a pretty solid program

Since you've been working g out so long you'll know what you need to tweak I need to get another leg workout program
+1   

4 months ago '17        #6
92baby 
space
space
 BLACK FIST said
yeah i'm on it too. first week though starting with baby weight so i can properly progress. they got a 5x5 app so you can track everything and it syncs with Google Fit too.

i was out the gym for two weeks, but i was doing pushups, pull ups, and BW squats, all with a 20 pound vest, similar to OP.
As long as you're working out its good

I cant for the life of me figure how so much bullsh*t has been pushed in the community

Most supplements you dont need and I have this theory if you've been athletic and or weight lifted in or around high school

You'll put on muscle alot easier than most

I dont know if I can respect a n*gga that cant bench 135

Then people be in that bi*ch doing all the wrong movements and sh*t

n*ggas ain't earned enough muscle to just do isolation movements

Compounds is where its at
+8   

4 months ago '17        #7
BLACK FIST 
space
space
 92baby said

I cant for the life of me figure how so much bullsh*t has been pushed in the community

Most supplements you dont need and I have this theory if you've been athletic and or weight lifted in or around high school

You'll put on muscle alot easier than most

I dont know if I can respect a n*gga that cant bench 135

Then people be in that bi*ch doing all the wrong movements and sh*t

n*ggas ain't earned enough muscle to just do isolation movements

Compounds is where its at
yeah i started lifting when i was a 14 year old freshman.. but inconsistent throughout my 20's but maintained my definition through calisthenics. nowadays out of my group i came up with, i aged the slowest and the rest of them have dad bods lol.
+6   

4 months ago '17        #8
92baby 
space
space
 BLACK FIST said
yeah i started lifting when i was a 14 year old freshman.. but inconsistent throughout my 20's but maintained my definition through calisthenics. nowadays out of my group i came up with, i aged the slowest and the rest of them have dad bods lol.
How old are you if you don't mind me asking

I'll never get why men dont like to lift

n*ggas talkin bout they like to run tho
+4   

4 months ago '17        #9
BLACK FIST 
space
space
 92baby said
How old are you if you don't mind me asking

I'll never get why men dont like to lift

n*ggas talkin bout they like to run tho
I'm 36 "In A Karate Class"

i actually don't like to run (long distance), but i like to do sprints/suicides, jump rope and play basketball for cardio. been jump roping for cardio as of late
+6   

4 months ago '17        #10
92baby 
space
space
 BLACK FIST said
I'm 36 "In A Karate Class"

i actually don't like to run (long distance), but i like to do sprints/suicides, jump rope and play basketball for cardio. been jump roping for cardio as of late
Those are all great substitutes

Why not just take boxing?
+2   

4 months ago '17        #11
BLACK FIST 
space
space
 92baby said
Those are all great substitutes

Why not just take boxing?
i thought about and i have hand wraps but i don't have time to fully commit 100% between the gym and work.. i can show up on my off days though since 5x5 is only 3 days per week. but i work some bullsh*t monday to Saturday and that schedule is not giving me flexibility to box and lift.

but got something on deck for another job offer that is gonna be set in motjon and have more flexibility to do more
+4   

4 months ago '17        #12
92baby 
space
space
 BLACK FIST said
i thought about and i have hand wraps but i don't have time to fully commit 100% between the gym and work.. i can show up on my off days though since 5x5 is only 3 days per week. but i work some bullsh*t monday to Saturday and that schedule is not giving me flexibility to box and lift.

but got something on deck for another job offer that is gonna be set in motjon and have more flexibility to do more
Bet that do that your time is valuable

Only reason I'm on here is to find information for the most part
+2   

4 months ago '18        #13
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
[QUOTE=92baby;50976777]As long as you're working out its good

Yeah the program definitely is all compounds especially a lot of squats on every session. Into my second week now and obviously the weights are still fairly light even though I halfed my one rep max according the app that's what your meant to do if you've lifted before..
But the way I look at it is it's better than not doing anything.

I'm 5ft 10 my one rep max was 242 pounds. Not amazing I know but I train at home without a spotter so progress is quite slow and my diet wasn't always on point to be honest
+5   

4 months ago '17        #14
92baby 
space
space
[quote=dinono10;51015702]
 92baby said

Yeah the program definitely is all compounds especially a lot of squats on every session. Into my second week now and obviously the weights are still fairly light even though I halfed my one rep max according the app that's what your meant to do if you've lifted before..
But the way I look at it is it's better than not doing anything.

I'm 5ft 10 my one rep max was 242 pounds. Not amazing I know but I train at home without a spotter so progress is quite slow and my diet wasn't always on point to be honest
Bro you doing great keep pushing it

Squats almost every workout?
Jesus your legs gonna be huge

I need to get a good leg workout myself
+3   

4 months ago '17        #15
92baby 
space
space
@

I replied fam

The quoting is fu*ked
+3   

4 months ago '19        #16
Big Gurthy 
space
space
space
Props total: 4914 4 K  Slaps total: 630 630
I used 5x5 to get my strength back after a long time off of weights

It's good sh*t if u can stay consistent and warm-up properly.
+5   

4 months ago '18        #17
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 92baby said
@

I replied fam

The quoting is fu*ked
Haha thanks my G. I misquoted too.

It's squats every single workout so hopefully they get a bit of size and I think that's where the problem is going to be in the fact that the workouts will become very similar if you're consistently doing them. Also wants to wait starting creasing workouts will take a lot longer but worth doing anyway better than nothing
+5   

4 months ago '17        #18
BLACK FIST 
space
space
 Big Gurthy said
I used 5x5 to get my strength back after a long time off of weights

It's good sh*t if u can stay consistent and warm-up properly.
my warm up is: 20 pushups, 10 pull ups, and 20 bw squats

planks/side planks 10-15 second holds

superman holds 10-15 second holds

back bridges 10-15 second holds

20 jumping jacks

then i go straight into my 5x5 working sets

the 5x5 app shows their own thing though, but i like to mix my own philosophy into it
+3   

4 months ago '19        #19
Big Gurthy 
space
space
space
Props total: 4914 4 K  Slaps total: 630 630
 BLACK FIST said
my warm up is: 20 pushups, 10 pull ups, and 20 bw squats

planks/side planks 10-15 second holds

superman holds 10-15 second holds

back bridges 10-15 second holds

20 jumping jacks

then i go straight into my 5x5 working sets

the 5x5 app shows their own thing though, but i like to mix my own philosophy into it
Whatever works for you fam. Props for getting in that physical activity. Keep it going don't fall off bruh
+3   

3 months ago '17        #20
Hakeem 
space
space
Props total: 9491 9 K  Slaps total: 1103 1 K
5x5 I need to get back on that,

Too much misplaced energy

+4   

3 months ago '18        #21
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
A month into it now. Starting to take a bit longer as the weights get heavier now and phying myself up for each exercise especially the heavier squats.

When I start to really struggle, eventually the app willchanges it's set up to 3 x 5 instead of 5 x 5 which will shorten the workouts hopefully. I expect that to be in another month's time probably the 8-week mark.
+4   

3 months ago '04        #22
Propel Water 
space
space
 dinono10 said
A month into it now. Starting to take a bit longer as the weights get heavier now and phying myself up for each exercise especially the heavier squats.

When I start to really struggle, eventually the app willchanges it's set up to 3 x 5 instead of 5 x 5 which will shorten the workouts hopefully. I expect that to be in another month's time probably the 8-week mark.
Yeah dude, those workouts get long as fu*k once you start putting up enough weight. Worth it tho if you have the time and a gym where you can hog a squat rack
+2   

3 months ago '18        #23
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 Propel Water said
Yeah dude, those workouts get long as fu*k once you start putting up enough weight. Worth it tho if you have the time and a gym where you can hog a squat rack
Lucky for me brah, I've got a squat rack and Olympic bar and Olympic weights in my garage.

However I tdo train after work so I don't really want it to drag on too long.

Working out 3 times a week is fine as long as it doesn't top one hour. That's without warming up too my dogg. Once weights increase will need to do that too.
+5   

3 months ago '04        #24
Propel Water 
space
space
 dinono10 said
Lucky for me brah, I've got a squat rack and Olympic bar and Olympic weights in my garage.

However I tdo train after work so I don't really want it to drag on too long.

Working out 3 times a week is fine as long as it doesn't top one hour. That's without warming up too my dogg. Once weights increase will need to do that too.
ahh having that to yourself in your garage is prime

i usually try to limit to like an hour or hour and a half.

anything over that is either overkill or im not working hard enough
+3   

3 months ago '18        #25
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 Propel Water said
ahh having that to yourself in your garage is prime

i usually try to limit to like an hour or hour and a half.

anything over that is either overkill or im not working hard enough
I feel you my brah. Problem is when you are training by yourself at home it's so easy to get distracted by the phone or tablet that your rest become longer even with a timer on need to become more dedicated/disciplined lol
+3   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+21online now  49
Video inside Simp on phone begging his Girlfriend not to go out with her friend!
130 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  37
ESPN is working Paul Pierce like a mule ? Was Charles Barkley right?
67 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+253online now  22
Kobes Parents should have gotten some respect on that stage
258 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+43online now  15
Image(s) inside Feb 24 - Former Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke beaten by inmate..
95 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy