Ask (Almost) Anything | Cardio, Weights, Nutrition, Supplements, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
22 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section fitness

New replies show every 10 seconds
 3 months ago '05        #126
rotstreetz 
space
space
space
$2,363   Props total: 2748 2748
 Coffee said
@get_ate How do I go about doing a progressive overload properly?
Fixed it for ya!
+1   

3 months ago '17        #127
Coffee  53 heat pts53
space
space
space
$5,134   Props total: 14925 14925
 Coffee said
How do I go about doing a progressive overload properly?
@

3 months ago '05        #128
pnoi89  18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,206   Props total: 11407 11407
 Coffee said
Adding difficulty by linear progression is the first step.

In other words, if your workout for squats is the following:

6 x 225
6 x 225
6 x 225
6 x 225
6 x 225

Assuming consistent paced reps, 3 minutes rest in between.

The next time you do squats, you progressively overload by say adding 5 lb to each set.

6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230

Let's say you're feeling the difficulty and choose to not increase weight. So the next squat workout:

6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230
7 x 230

Even that 1 extra rep is progressively overload.

Other ways to progressively overload is lessening the rest, adding variations such as a pause at the bottom of the squat, slow eccentric and/or concentric, adding resistance bands, etc.

Bringing this to full circle, this is why it's important to be thorough in logging your lifts: reps, weight, sets, rest time, notes on any variations, reps your struggled with, etc.
+2   

3 months ago '08        #129
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
$2,010   Props total: 1195 1195
 rotstreetz said
Fixed it for ya!
Thanks...

...but for some reason, someone who isn't me answered the question with generic advice that isn't exactly tailored to the individual who asked it.

Coffee said
Your prompting the question leads me to believe that you're a beginner.

As such, it might behoove you to increase the number of reps you do in a given set rather than adding more weight each session.

For instance, you may be programmed to use 25 lbs for 3 sets with a target rep range of 12. For the first set, let's say you were able to hit all 12 reps. On the second set, you were only able to complete 10 reps. On the last set, all you could muster were 8 reps. As we see, you clearly failed to satisfy your target rep range for all 3 sets.

That means that the next time you work out, you would perform the same 3 sets with the same weight. However, you would try to go for 11 reps on the second set and 9 reps on the third, if not more.

You would repeat that each successive week until you're able to hit 12 reps for all three sets with the same 25 lbs.

Once able to do that, you would increase the number of sets. So now rather than 3 sets of 12 with 25 lbs, your objective would be 4 sets of 12 with 25 lbs.

You would go through the same process of increasing your reps as you did for the initial 3 sets until you're able to perform 12 reps for all 4 sets.

Once able to do that, you would then increase the weight, with you using the same weight each workout until you're able to meet the target rep range for all sets (or each individual set if you're pyramiding with ascending or descending counts, which would necessitate a different but similar overall approach).
+3   

3 months ago '17        #130
Coffee  53 heat pts53
space
space
space
$5,134   Props total: 14925 14925
 pnoi89 said
Adding difficulty by linear progression is the first step.

In other words, if your workout for squats is the following:

6 x 225
6 x 225
6 x 225
6 x 225
6 x 225

Assuming consistent paced reps, 3 minutes rest in between.

The next time you do squats, you progressively overload by say adding 5 lb to each set.

6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230

Let's say you're feeling the difficulty and choose to not increase weight. So the next squat workout:

6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230
6 x 230
7 x 230

Even that 1 extra rep is progressively overload.

Other ways to progressively overload is lessening the rest, adding variations such as a pause at the bottom of the squat, slow eccentric and/or concentric, adding resistance bands, etc.

Bringing this to full circle, this is why it's important to be thorough in logging your lifts: reps, weight, sets, rest time, notes on any variations, reps your struggled with, etc.
 get_ate said
Thanks...

...but for some reason, someone who isn't me answered the question with generic advice that isn't exactly tailored to the individual who asked it.

Your prompting the question leads me to believe that you're a beginner.

As such, it might behoove you to increase the number of reps you do in a given set rather than adding more weight each session.

For instance, you may be programmed to use 25 lbs for 3 sets with a target rep range of 12. For the first set, let's say you were able to hit all 12 reps. On the second set, you were only able to complete 10 reps. On the last set, all you could muster were 8 reps. As we see, you clearly failed to satisfy your target rep range for all 3 sets.

That means that the next time you work out, you would perform the same 3 sets with the same weight. However, you would try to go for 11 reps on the second set and 9 reps on the third, if not more.

You would repeat that each successive week until you're able to hit 12 reps for all three sets with the same 25 lbs.

Once able to do that, you would increase the number of sets. So now rather than 3 sets of 12 with 25 lbs, your objective would be 4 sets of 12 with 25 lbs.

You would go through the same process of increasing your reps as you did for the initial 3 sets until you're able to perform 12 reps for all 4 sets.

Once able to do that, you would then increase the weight, with you using the same weight each workout until you're able to meet the target rep range for all sets (or each individual set if you're pyramiding with ascending or descending counts, which would necessitate a different but similar overall approach).
Okay, so I'll tell you what my focus is and what I'm working with.

While I accept the risk of the gym, because of my outside pursuits, I'm very averse to injury in the gym. I use machines and only free weight on my dead lift.

My focus are two lifts: Deadlifts and squats.

I workout with 255 deadlift with perfect/proper form.
I hit that for 5 reps for 3 sets two times a week (Mon and Thursday)
I workout with light on squats on the machine 155 5 reps at 3 sets. (Mon and Thursday)

I struggle on the last set of dead lifts to keep proper form, when I do struggle, I'll leave it in the middle of the last set, recover a little more and then proceed to lift with proper form.

So according to your advice, I shouldn't up my 255 dl until I can handle that last set properly.

So, lets say I handle that in the coming week, which I expect to, so would it be the following week when I add 5 more lbs?

3 months ago '08        #131
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 Coffee said

So according to your advice, I shouldn't up my 255 dl until I can handle that last set properly.

So, lets say I handle that in the coming week, which I expect to, so would it be the following week when I add 5 more lbs?
Correct.

3 months ago '09        #132
BMAN626  37 heat pts37
space
space
$7,656   Props total: 1201 1201
Colon cleanse good or bad and what are the benefits

3 months ago '08        #133
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 BMAN626 said
Colon cleanse good or bad and what are the benefits
If you're getting ready for a colonoscopy or have serious constipation, then have at it.

Cleanse your colon!

If that isn't the case, then there's no fu*king reason to do what the body naturally does on its own, which is eliminating waste and bacteria from the digestive system.

Aside from the just mentioned, that of ridding the body of toxins, the purported benefits from colon cleansing include more energy and an improved immune system.

After hundred of years of people using enemas for those reasons, there is still nothing in the scientific literature that backs up those claims.

In other words, the benefits of colon cleansing are full of sh*t, which is apropos.

2 weeks ago '05        #134
rotstreetz 
space
space
space
$2,363   Props total: 2748 2748
@ I was thinking about doing muay thai and boxing for cardio. Is it too much to do that and lift weights on the same day?

2 weeks ago '08        #135
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 rotstreetz said
@ I was thinking about doing muay thai and boxing for cardio. Is it too much to do that and lift weights on the same day?
It depends on your recovery protocol.

If one activity is early in the day and the other is much later and you're eating and hydrating properly between both bouts to recover from the first and prepare your body for the next, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Ideally, I'd break them down into separate days though, especially if muscle building were my main objective.

2 days ago '19        #136
ThrowA  1 heat pts1
space
space
$40   Props total: 112 112
@ props on posting that food scale. I ordered the same exact one and I fu*king love that thing. Before I was using measuring cups and spoons. I was also taking the weight on the package of the meats and dividing it by how many pieces were in the package to get an average. A scale is a must like you said.

2 days ago '08        #137
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 ThrowA said
@ props on posting that food scale. I ordered the same exact one and I fu*king love that thing. Before I was using measuring cups and spoons. I was also taking the weight on the package of the meats and dividing it by how many pieces were in the package to get an average. A scale is a must like you said.

Glad to have changed your life to the point that all the good things that happen in it are now thanks to me.
+1   

New replies show every 10 seconds

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  41
The first real photo of a PlayStation 5 dev kit appears
73 comments
22 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
+493online now  41
Image(s) inside How I make 4K+ a month 100% LEGALLY doing barely anything(if i'm lying..
235 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+23online now  40
Image(s) inside You guys were right about The Game
307 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  18
After effects of gettin shot in the head with a rifle