Ask (Almost) Anything | Cardio, Weights, Nutrition, Supplements, etc.

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section fitness

2 years ago '08        #1
8032 page views
134 comments

get_ate  1 heat pts1
space
space
$2,009   Props total: 1194 1194
Ask (Almost) Anything | Cardio, Weights, Nutrition, Supplements, etc.

With a new year approaching, you know the deal.

Yup, it's that time of the year when people start giving a fu*k about their health and appearance.

So it's as good a time as any to begin an "Ask Me (Almost) Anything" thread to help guide you toward your goals.

The idea is for this to run all into 2018 and beyond with your questions.

Whoooooooooo theeeeeeeeeeee fu*k am I to give advice?!?!

Well, you can check out my visit this link Instagram for yourself.

Yeah, I look pretty decent.

For some reason, looking the part of someone fit seems to be all the credentials that are needed.

If you're not that gullible, then there's the fact that I make my livelihood as a trainer as well.

But who the fu*k isn't a trainer on Instagram, you ask?

Damn, another good question!

Sheesh, you ask some really tough sh*t!!!

Well, me!

That's who!

I'm a little different.

See, I didn't pick up my first weight a week ago and suddenly decide I'm a fitness guru and then start selling online training to suckers who are stupid enough to think a gym selfie is proof enough of training knowledge.

Nope.

I've been under the bar since '96 and training is what I do full-time, not as part of a get rich quick side hustle while I work as a stay-at-home parent, hair stylist, go to school, whatever.

In other words, I'm not a fu*king Instagram trainer, at least not a stereotypical one.

While I do offer online coaching, the bulk of my time is actually spent training people inside the gym.

Yes, people trust me enough to pay me to open myself up to liability!

In addition to that, I write about fitness on my visit this link website and distribute a visit this link weekly newsletter.

What I'm trying to say here is that I know sh*t about sh*t because I'm involved with this fitness sh*t all day every day from working on myself and with people hands-on, as well as researching stuff for my site and producing content for visit this link Pinterest and my visit this link other Instagram account that's more than me holding the phone up to my face and taking a picture then begging people to buy the recycled programs and meal plans I give to everybody irrespective of their goals, training experience, injury history, etc.

So because I know sh*t, you should take advantage and ask me sh*t anytime you have some fitness-related sh*t on your mind.

Just be aware that what makes me so charming and why clients like me is that I call people out on their stupidity. So if what you're currently doing is stupid, I'm going to say it's stupid and possibly hurt your feelings for being so stupid.

Last edited by get_ate; 12-16-2017 at 02:27 PM..
+2   

best
worst
134 comments

2 years ago '06        #2
realgunta  1042 heat pts1042
space
space
$29,975   Props total: 64691 64691
cool

i will post later

2 years ago '06        #3
aussie08  7 heat pts7
space
space
$2,529   Props total: 3018 3018
Easiest way to slim down around the stomach. If you can provide a simple meal plan where its not a lot of work to prepare meals. And the best exercises.
+1   

2 years ago '15        #4
Good Guy Ry  26 heat pts26
space
space
$14,650   Props total: 37229 37229
Do you prefer seated leg curls or lying ones and what's, if any, the difference?

Also what's a good everyday food intake/diet look like? Not looking for variety at all just something I can buy in bulk at the stores and eat everyday just for fuel/energy. 6'1 188 if that's needed.

2 years ago '08        #5
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 aussie08 said
Easiest way to slim down around the stomach. If you can provide a simple meal plan where its not a lot of work to prepare meals. And the best exercises.
Thanks for the question!

I take it that you're asking about the best exercises to slim down around the stomach.

If so, I'd like to disabuse you of that.

See, the body doesn't burn fat in one localized area, or spot reduce as it's called. You can do all the you want but if you're not eating at a caloric deficit (i.e. creating a negative energy balance, or simply taking in less calories than your body needs so it can start tapping into and burning its fat stores), then you're not going to see a six-pack underneath the blubber.

Instead, rather than spot reduce, what your body does is burn fat from all over, with some areas losing the chub faster than others.

With that said about spot reduction, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that there's some research suggesting that it is indeed possible. However, it's not something that laypeople should yet attempt to focus on, especially beginners in the art of fitness and nutrition.

So if you're indeed asking me for the best exercises you can do for your stomach with an emphasis on fat loss, I'm not going to suggest any.

Concentrating your energy on your stomach is a waste of time, as I just articulated.

Instead, I would steer you toward compound movements like squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc. They're multi-joint exercises that involve the largest muscle group (legs) and the largest muscle (gluteus maximus) and call for the recruitment of other muscle groups across the body in order to execute them. That means a massive amount of calories are burned.

So the best stomach exercises are the exercises that have something to do with direct (or back, the second largest muscle group).

Now, all of that is well and good but have you ever heard the joke about fork putdowns or table pushaways being the best exercise(s) for weight loss?

Well, they are.

That is to say that the easiest way to slim down around the stomach is to get your nutrition in order.

Contrary to popular belief, centering your weight loss around physical activity is .

See, one-hundred percent of the energy we use comes from food.

Our basal metabolic rate (BMR) ó the energy used by the body to perform vital functions like, I donít know, keeping your heart thumping ó is responsible for burning about 60 to 80 percent of those calories.

Physical activity accounts for just 10 to 30 percent of the total daily calories burned, of which 1Ė2 hours of exercise in a day makes up only a tiny sliver.

Itís for this reason why nailing your nutrition is far more important for weight loss than exercise, simply because we CANíT control how our bodies burn calories but we CAN control what we put into our mouths.

So yeah, the easiest way to lose weight is to diet accordingly.

As for providing you with a meal plan to accomplish that, I can't do that.

For one, I don't know your vital information (height, weight, age, etc) to figure out how many calories you should be eating to prompt fat loss.

Secondly, I don't create meal plans for ANYBODY!

My providing people with meals plans is a waste of my time because most people don't follow them. It turns out that most people don't want to eat the same sh*t every fu*king day! The practice also isn't sustainable because it doesn't teach people how to use their brains and eat on their own. What, you're going to eat by a meal plan for the rest of your life?

Instead, what I do is give people their macros and the tools to eat the foods they enjoy.

So make another post asking me some sh*t about how do you figure out your macros or whatever and I'll help guide you along.
+5   

2 years ago '06        #6
aussie08  7 heat pts7
space
space
$2,529   Props total: 3018 3018
Nice post man! Im 6-1 220 and work out 4-5 days a week. Im no beginner. Been consistent in the gym since i was 19, now im 37. Ive started drinking the past few months which is a big contributor to the weight gain. Im an advanced weight lifter i like to think. Im sure drinking is a huge contributor to my problem, but it relaxes me.
I really am curious about your diet plan, because im not the average person on here.
+2   

2 years ago '08        #7
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 Magozz said
Do you prefer seated leg curls or lying ones and what's, if any, the difference?
I'm not partial to either leg curl variation.

I include both in my training.

The main difference between the two is the level of contraction.

With the prone leg curls, the biceps femoris (i.e. the outer portion of the hamstrings) are hit more.

With seated leg curls, the inner hamstrings area (i.e. the semitendinosus and semimembranosus) are activated more.

Another key difference is the amount of cheating.

When performing curls in the prone position, you can use your hips to move the weight, which is what A LOT of people do, thus rendering the movement ineffective.

The ability for the hips to contribute is taken out of the mix when performing seated curls. What people then do to cheat is to use their back, which is done by sitting at an incline position rather than with their back flat against the seat.

Now, if you're asking because you want to know which is better for hamstring development (i.e. mass), then the answer is neither.

Both curls pale in comparison to the Romanian and Stiff-Legged Deadlift.

They're also not the best curls.

That title belongs to the Glute-Ham Raise (GHR), which can be performed from the floor or on a calf machine if your gym doesn't have a GHR machine.

Magozz said

Also what's a good everyday food intake/diet look like? Not looking for variety at all just something I can buy in bulk at the stores and eat everyday just for fuel/energy. 6'1 188 if that's needed.
I can't answer what "a good everyday food intake/diet look[s] like".

That's dependent on an individual's goals.

With that said, when talking about fuel/energy, there are two kinds: immediate and reserve.

Food, primarily carbs and dietary fat, provides our energy needs.

Getting more specific, simple carbs supply immediate energy and complex carbs supply energy over an extended period of time as they're slowly broken down and absorbed.

So if you're looking for the best cheap fuel you can buy in bulk to provide you with energy as the day goes along, then your choices are oats (NOT instant), brown rice, and nuts and legumes (both are commonly classed as ideal protein sources, but the fat-to-protein and carb-to-protein ratio of each says otherwise. They're fu*king fats and carbs, respectively). Sweet potatos are also a good choice. They can be bought on the cheap and then frozen for up to 12 months.

For something that doesn't take as long to digest, thereby providing faster energy, and comes in bulk, I'd suggest that you look into dextrose powder. Mix it in with water and sip it throughout the day or use it as an intra-workout supplement.

Last edited by get_ate; 12-16-2017 at 07:41 PM..
+1   

2 years ago '08        #8
GoldBluded  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
$24,054   Props total: 45760 45760
What does your diet/macros look like at the moment.

Me personally I'm trying to gain weight/muscle i weigh 170 pounds

2 years ago '15        #9
Good Guy Ry  26 heat pts26
space
space
$14,650   Props total: 37229 37229
Good info, man. I get my Romanians, squats, leg presses and curls in every week but I definitely been slacking on the GHR's and relying on seated leg curls. There's one at the gym that I never use, gonna hop on it next week. Gonna hit the store later and get some dextrose powder as well and see how my body takes to it.

2 years ago '08        #10
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 aussie08 said
Nice post man! Im 6-1 220 and work out 4-5 days a week. Im no beginner. Been consistent in the gym since i was 19, now im 37. Ive started drinking the past few months which is a big contributor to the weight gain. Im an advanced weight lifter i like to think. Im sure drinking is a huge contributor to my problem, but it relaxes me.
I really am curious about your diet plan, because im not the average person on here.
Given your stats and your desire to shed a few pounds, your daily caloric intake should be 2536 calories.

I'm not going to detail the equation I used to arrive at your caloric needs. I shall not do so for the sake of brevity on my part and simplicity on your end.

Whatever formula I used also doesn't matter.

There are many different formulas and online calculators available and all will yield different numbers in terms of your caloric needs.

That doesn't mean anything.

The numbers are nothing more than guidelines.

They're not set in stone.

It's going to take some action on your part to make adjustments to the number spit out by the method of your choice if the scale, mirror, progress photos, fit of clothes, whatever, aren't reflective of change.

What I will provide greater insight on is how to figure out your macros.

Unless you're following a certain protocol like keto or Atkins that has certain macro ranges, then your macros should generally follow this pattern:

Fat (9 calories per 1 gram) should constitute 25% of your daily calories.

That means 634 calories (2536 x .25) will come from fat, or 70 g (634/9).

Protein (4 calories per 1 gram) intake should consist of about 0.8 to 1.2 grams times your body weight.

To make the math easy, that means you should aim for 220 g (220 lbs x 1), or 880 calories (220 x 4).

As is always the case with protein, I'm expecting some pushback with motherfu*kers saying 0.8 to 1.2 grams times your body weight is too high because there are all these bodies strewn all over the place of people dying from eating "too much" protein. And then I'll ask them to show me the published studies that fly in the face of research showing that people, especially active individuals, can handle high amounts of protein, to which they'll offer none.

Carbohydrate (4 calories per 1 gram) intake is just the remainder of what's left.

So 634 calories of fat plus 880 calories of protein amounts to 1514 total calories so far.

When we subtract our daily calories from the above (2536 - 1514), the result is 1022 calories of carbs to account for.

That means you should aim for 256 g of carbs per day (1022/4).

As was stated earlier, these are just ballpark estimates of your requirements.

Play around with them if nothing changes after a week or so of STRICT adherence.

And if my math is wrong somewhere, that will probably explain why I'm a trainer and not a fu*king mathematician!
+1   

2 years ago '08        #11
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 GoldBluded said
What does your diet/macros look like at the moment.

Me personally I'm trying to gain weight/muscle i weigh 170 pounds
My macros aren't going to do sh*t for you.

Besides the obvious fact that you're attempting to gain muscle mass and I'm not, our bodies are different in what they require and how they'll react. Apart from innate physiological reasons for the difference, it also has to be considered that we're at different ends of the spectrum when it comes to development, thus affecting our needs.

It's for the above reasons, and more, why one-size-fits-all macros are basura.

As for my particular diet, what it consists of, I'm a*suming that you want to know so you have an idea of what to eat.

No?

Considering that I eat the SAME sh*t virtually EVERY fu*king day of the year with the only thing changing being the quantity of foodstuffs depending on what I'm doing bodywise (e.g. cutting, bulking, maintaining), that shouldn't be a problem.

Meal #1:
Oats
Egg
2% Milk
Peanut Butter
Whey Protein Powder

Meal #2:
Rice
Tilapia

Meal #3:
Egg
2% Milk
Whey Protein Powder
Pop Tart or Protein Bar

Meal #4:
Rice
Chicken brea*t

I think you can ask me a better question concerning your weight gain efforts, like how did I initially go about gaining the size I currently hold, a*suming I didn't come out of the womb like this.

2 years ago '05        #12
rotstreetz 
space
space
space
$2,363   Props total: 2748 2748
@ I know diet ultimately determines how someone would get lean muscle. My question does it matter what workout plan I do (body split, push/pull, full body, etc)

2 years ago '10        #13
EmJay23  1 heat pts1
space
space
$501   Props total: 473 473
How often should I stretch? I have really tight hip flexors and a pelvic tilt due to them. What should I do???

2 years ago '09        #14
Chalky  349 heat pts349
space
space
$29,727   Props total: 33316 33316
I made a thread in the streets on how i lost 40 pounds by just changing my diet. I'm planning on getting a gym membership in January and work out the entire year.

how should i start. I want to lose this fat and gain muscle. i'm currently 245lbs

I currently just count my calories. don't go over 2000 a day. Drink plenty of water and normally two meals a day.

2 years ago '08        #15
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 rotstreetz said
@ I know diet ultimately determines how someone would get lean muscle. My question does it matter what workout plan I do (body split, push/pull, full body, etc)
That's like asking which science-backed diet is the best or is it better to work out in the morning or evening.

Each way of doing things has its own pros and cons but all will get you to your destination, for the most part.

This is to say that a lot of sh*t is just a matter of preference.

The same applies to workout plans, body part and full-body in particular here.

What frequency program you elect to use doesn't really matter.

People invest way tooooooooo much time trying to figure out which is better instead of just picking one that they can sustain over the long-haul and then doing it.

Rather than wasting energy on deciding between split training or doing a full-body routine, concern yourself more with consistently nailing your nutrition, proper exercise selection, and achieving progressive overload.

2 years ago '08        #16
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 EmJay23 said
How often should I stretch? I have really tight hip flexors and a pelvic tilt due to them. What should I do???
If you have anterior pelvic tilt, then you may not want to focus so much on stretching, which may make things worse.

What you should do instead is turn your focus on strengthening your abs and glutes.

Two exercises I would recommend for the abs that don't involve the active use of the hip flexors are the Pallof Press and Wood Chop.

As for glutes, you're going to want to do HEAVY (with good form, of course) deadlifts, glute bridges, barbell hip thrusts, and other exercises that place the hips in extension.

2 years ago '08        #17
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 Chalky said
how should i start.

Another option is to just [insert activity] and figure sh*t out as you go along instead of wasting time because you think you don't know how to start doing [insert activity].

If neither options are enough, be advised that I like specifics.

Ask me a more specific question relating to whatever hesitation you have about beginning and I'll do my best to provide a more specific answer.

Last edited by get_ate; 12-18-2017 at 11:44 PM..

2 years ago '14        #18
BasedGawd  19 heat pts19
space
space
$2,636   Props total: 10317 10317
It's still put or shut the fu*k up when it comes to 630lbs on the dip machine but I gotta give props where it's due. Loving the energy on your IG page, it's refreshing to see someone truly passionate about the fitness life instead doing the fake get IG famous cliche.
+1   

2 years ago '05        #19
rotstreetz 
space
space
space
$2,363   Props total: 2748 2748
 get_ate said
That's like asking which science-backed diet is the best or is it better to work out in the morning or evening.

Each way of doing things has its own pros and cons but all will get you to your destination, for the most part.

This is to say that a lot of sh*t is just a matter of preference.

The same applies to workout plans, body part and full-body in particular here.

What frequency program you elect to use doesn't really matter.

People invest way tooooooooo much time trying to figure out which is better instead of just picking one that they can sustain over the long-haul and then doing it.

Rather than wasting energy on deciding between split training or doing a full-body routine, concern yourself more with consistently nailing your nutrition, proper exercise selection, and achieving progressive overload.
How do you feel about bodyweight only workouts?

2 years ago '08        #20
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 BasedGawd said
It's still put or shut the fu*k up when it comes to 630lbs on the dip machine but I gotta give props where it's due. Loving the energy on your IG page, it's refreshing to see someone truly passionate about the fitness life instead doing the fake get IG famous cliche.
Thanks.

But don't be fooled.

I am trying to get IG famous. It just so happens that I'm running a real business and don't have the time to be on IG all day every fu*king day increasing a follower count that doesn't mean sh*t in real life.

As for the 630 lbs on the dip machine, keep your money.

I have zero interest in doing that because I'm not a weightlifter, someone who's concerned about moving weight from point A to point B no matter how it's moved.

No.

I only lift sh*t that allows me to contract the exercise movement's target muscle instead of other muscles to accomplish the lift.

While I can MOVE 630 lbs on the dip machine, the poundage doesn't allow for proper contraction of the triceps, making my doing so a waste of my time.

I don't go to the gym to waste my time.

So keep your money and the internet points.
+1   

2 years ago '12        #21
Superstarbrown7  17 heat pts17
space
space
$6,984   Props total: 10300 10300
What’s a good diet plan to follow to gain weight

2 years ago '08        #22
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 rotstreetz said
How do you feel about bodyweight only workouts?
I'm not a big fan of , especially for hypertrophy.

The reason why is explained in very brief detail in the link above.

2 years ago '08        #23
get_ate  1 heat pts1 OP
space
space
 Superstarbrown7 said
Whatís a good diet plan to follow to gain weight
In order to gain weight, you have to eat at a caloric surplus, or simply take in more energy than you expend.

You already know how to gain weight.

Everybody knows that you just have to eat lots and lots of food, preferably of poor nutritional value, and dodge physical activity like it were that ugly girl in school that was feeling you but you didn't want any parts of (at least not in public).

Doing so will pile on the weight with relative ease, although most, if not all, of it will be fat.

However, if you want to gain weight in the form of muscle, that's a different matter.

That requires a more precise approach, like knowing exactly how many calories you're supposed to eat per day, eating a good balance of macronutrients, and weight training with intensity.

Concerning the first two, I'm going to need more information to better a*sist you, such as your age, gender, height, and current weight.

2 years ago '12        #24
Superstarbrown7  17 heat pts17
space
space
$6,984   Props total: 10300 10300
 get_ate said
In order to gain weight, you have to eat at a caloric surplus, or simply take in more energy than you expend.

You already know how to gain weight.

Everybody knows that you just have to eat lots and lots of food, preferably of poor nutritional value, and dodge physical activity like it were that ugly girl in school that was feeling you but you didn't want any parts of (at least not in public).

Doing so will pile on the weight with relative ease, although most, if not all, of it will be fat.

However, if you want to gain weight in the form of muscle, that's a different matter.

That requires a more precise approach, like knowing exactly how many calories you're supposed to eat per day, eating a good balance of macronutrients, and weight training with intensity.

Concerning the first two, I'm going to need more information to better a*sist you, such as your age, gender, height, and current weight.
Iím 5í10 135 25 year old male I also box

2 years ago '16        #25
Ravishing  67 heat pts67
space
space
$4,174   Props total: 8689 8689
What do you suggest on recovery/rest days? I know I have to be mindful on the amount of time I'm sitting down watching TV, coding, playing games, and etc. Been looking at active recovery ideas and GPP.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+61online now  49
Video inside Vato thought he could take 50 shots of Patron
79 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  34
STRONG RUMOR: NFL has reportedly given the Chargers the option to relocate..
113 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+42online now  21
Image(s) inside Oct 14 - female columbian drug cartel assassin - i love to kill people
123 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  15
Video inside Ben Baller goes to press Trax NYC
42 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy