Basics of Evaluating and Choosing Stocks

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section guap

6 years ago '05        #1
12054 page views
23 comments

Truechaldean  3 heat pts3
space
space
space
$1,030   Props total: 30 30
Basics of Evaluating and Choosing Stocks

I know the couple of threads on stocks in this section have been getting a lot of attention so I've made a very basic introduction to evaluating stocks to help out a little. Again this is just the very basics but it will hopefully help some people out.

How to Evaluate Stocks

>>Two Basic Ways<<

Fundamental Analysis Vs. Technical Analysis

Fundamental Analysis
  • LONG TERM INVESTING
  • Examines info about the company’s health and potential to succeed.
  • Used to learn about a company.
  • Looks at a company’s growth, management, earnings, ect…
  • Should form the core of evaluations for individual investors. Used to help determine a company’s intrinsic value (The price a stock should sell at in normal market conditions.)

Technical Analysis
  • SHORT TERM TRADING
  • Examines the past behavior of the stock price in different market conditions and attempts to predict the stock’s future price based on current and projected market conditions and trading volume.
  • Used to learn about a company’s stock.
  • Looks at trading volume and chart trends.

Fundamental Stock Measurements

Cash Flow per Share
Stream of cash through a business. Reveals how easily a company can deal with unexpected expenses or opportunities.

Earnings per Share (EPS)
A company earnings divided by how many shares are outstanding. The bigger the number the better.
Example: Company ABC earns $10,000 and has 1000 shares so their EPS is $10

Net Profit Margin
A company's profit divided by their gross income. High net profit margin can indicate good management that can control costs. High net profit margins are the hallmarks of companies that dominate.
Example: Company ABC has profit of $1,000 for every $10,000 of income so their net profit margin is 10%

Price/Book Ratio
Compares the stocks price with how much the stock is worth right now if somebody liquidated the company.
(Not the best measure for every company. Example: the Value of McDonalds goes way beyond frying machines and cash registers. So more investors are willing to pay more than book value for it.)

Price/Earnings Ratio (P/E)
Price of a stock divided by the company's EPS
Example: $40 stock with $2 EPS = P/E of 20 vs $100 stock with $10 EPS = P/E of 10 ($100 stock is a better value because you are buying more earnings power with your money.)

Price/Sales Ratio (P/S)
Price per share divided by sales per share. Compares stock price with sales revenue.

Technical Stock Measurements

Moving Averages
Smooths out the bounciness of the raw price so you can better detect its trends. Position of the current price in relation to the SMA provides hints on where the price is heading next.

Relative Strength Index (RSI)
Alerts you when a stock’s price has stretched to far in one direction or the other and is due for a snap back towards the middle. To far up = Overbought and To far down = Oversold

Volume
The amount of stock that’s traded on any given day, week, or time period. Measured in either the amount of shares traded or the dollar amount moved as a result of that trading. Rising volume on a rising stock price shows buyers controlling the market. Rising volume on a declining price shows something sellers controlling the market. The stronger the volume, the more persistent the stock’s price trend.

+12   

best
worst
23 comments

6 years ago '04        #2
Weezie BABY  2 heat pts2
space
space
$437   Props total: 71 71
Thanks I was looking for something like this... I was wondering if we could start a groupme about stock investing where we could all share our ideas? Who's for it?
+1   

6 years ago '10        #3
Ambassador  444 heat pts444
space
space
space
$18,668   Props total: 11 11
This is a good thread for beginners who're interested in getting their feet wet.
+1   

5 years ago '04        #4
reazon_opt  8 heat pts8
space
space
$2,269   Props total: 1174 1174
good looks

05-12-2014, 03:48 PM         #5
Frank Underwood 
space
space
space
$n/a   Props total:  
good looking out bro

06-10-2014, 10:43 AM         #6
priz133 
space
space
space
$n/a   Props total:  
gud lookin out

4 years ago '06        #7
chrisf249 
space
space
$1,269   Props total: 745 745
 Weezie BABY said
Thanks I was looking for something like this... I was wondering if we could start a groupme about stock investing where we could all share our ideas? Who's for it?
I'm down

4 years ago '15        #8
JdamienH  18 heat pts18
space
space
$1,508   Props total: 2039 2039
 Weezie BABY said
Im interested too. I just opened a td ameritrade account and im lost. very glad I found this

4 years ago '15        #9
Tw1tter Gang  64 heat pts64
space
space
$8,942   Props total: 9112 9112
Join these facebook groups to learn with traders:

PMJ Stocks

Commodity Futures Market

Technicals = charting. Not to interested in the companies margins and stuff, just reading charts, drawing ur lines, and picking entries and exits..

Fundamentals = looking at company share price × earnings, margin valuations and such.

Micro = individual stocks of company's

Macro = the bigger picture, ETFs, indices, currencies, commodities...

Learn at investopedia.com

Open up a PAPER TRADING account at thinkorswim.com and practice.

And Google everything u come across, if u wanna be succeful u have to never stop learning aND digging. It's a passion and if u ain't got the passion u should quit immediately...

But I will say this, when ur stock or option runs.. it's the best high u will ever get. Better than drugs or self, u see ur wealth and power grow on screen, and when I take a loss it is the most humbling thing Ever.

And u need a process. After 4 years of trading is finally found my process. Pm me if u want help.

See ya on the boards

Last edited by Tw1tter Gang; 02-22-2016 at 12:46 PM..
+1   

4 years ago '04        #10
eazyvaboy  83 heat pts83
space
space
$5,054   Props total: 20631 20631
Lookin at getting in a few petro and oil stocks I have been watchin. 40% down on the 52 week high and with announcement by Saudi that the freeze is coming; with that and speculation, the price should be jumping up soon.
+1   

3 years ago '15        #11
716God  42 heat pts42
space
space
space
$3,622   Props total: 2211 2211
 Tw1tter Gang said
Join these facebook groups to learn with traders:

PMJ Stocks

Commodity Futures Market

Technicals = charting. Not to interested in the companies margins and stuff, just reading charts, drawing ur lines, and picking entries and exits..

Fundamentals = looking at company share price × earnings, margin valuations and such.

Micro = individual stocks of company's

Macro = the bigger picture, ETFs, indices, currencies, commodities...

Learn at investopedia.com

Open up a PAPER TRADING account at thinkorswim.com and practice.

And Google everything u come across, if u wanna be succeful u have to never stop learning aND digging. It's a passion and if u ain't got the passion u should quit immediately...

But I will say this, when ur stock or option runs.. it's the best high u will ever get. Better than drugs or self, u see ur wealth and power grow on screen, and when I take a loss it is the most humbling thing Ever.

And u need a process. After 4 years of trading is finally found my process. Pm me if u want help.

See ya on the boards
I just downloaded thinkorswim and opened up a paper trading acct...I have literally zero experience with investing or stocks, so this will hopefully be the start of something profitable for me.

3 years ago '16        #12
melomastah  1 heat pts1
space
space
space
$95   Props total: 119 119
props for this mang

Top 10 most propped recently  3 years ago '04        #13
Kliq  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
space
space
$13,900   Props total: 57294 57294
what's a good site to start buying stocks for beginners? etrader or something similar? @

3 years ago '08        #14
Soda Pop  8 heat pts8
space
space
$10,474   Props total: 6167 6167
Just started last week TD Ameritrade, looking to learn more.
+1   

3 years ago '06        #15
jester2trife  1 heat pts1
space
space
$2,981   Props total: 4428 4428
A really Big lesson I cannot overstate: subscribe to newsletters and short sell the sh*t outta them...

2 years ago '15        #16
voltron  17 heat pts17
space
space
$1,545   Props total: 1564 1564
Anyone on here looking at trading when insiders buy/sell?

I'm looking into getting back into trading. Before I stopped I would throw money in using this strategy and would get small gains (5-15%) here and there.

2 years ago '07        #17
j_k1dd  9 heat pts9
space
space
$3,385   Props total: 1749 1749
Could someone explain all the different technical trends people can look for that can be used alongside their fundamental analysis?

1 year ago '12        #18
acefresh  24 heat pts24
space
space
$10,408   Props total: 38666 38666
 jester2trife said
A really Big lesson I cannot overstate: subscribe to newsletters and short sell the sh*t outta them...

1 year ago '12        #19
frankieboyj26  1 heat pts1
space
space
space
$252   Props total: 191 191
 jester2trife said
any example newsletters you can recommend so I can have a general idea?

1 year ago '04        #20
Yd4001  12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,222   Props total: 2562 2562
 Ambassador said
This is a good thread for beginners who're interested in getting their feet wet.
Facts I'm at the point were I wanna learn/read up on this for not only me but to teach my kids a lil something

1 year ago '04        #21
Yd4001  12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,222   Props total: 2562 2562
 jester2trife said
I dnt quite understand what you mean by this...about to do some googling but clarification would be dope

6 months ago '07        #22
Damagegadget  495 heat pts495
space
space
$41,138   Props total: 28921 28921
 Truechaldean said
I know the couple of threads on stocks in this section have been getting a lot of attention so I've made a very basic introduction to evaluating stocks to help out a little. Again this is just the very basics but it will hopefully help some people out.

How to Evaluate Stocks

>>Two Basic Ways<<

Fundamental Analysis Vs. Technical Analysis

Fundamental Analysis
  • LONG TERM INVESTING
  • Examines info about the company’s health and potential to succeed.
  • Used to learn about a company.
  • Looks at a company’s growth, management, earnings, ect…
  • Should form the core of evaluations for individual investors. Used to help determine a company’s intrinsic value (The price a stock should sell at in normal market conditions.)

Technical Analysis
  • SHORT TERM TRADING
  • Examines the past behavior of the stock price in different market conditions and attempts to predict the stock’s future price based on current and projected market conditions and trading volume.
  • Used to learn about a company’s stock.
  • Looks at trading volume and chart trends.

Fundamental Stock Measurements

Cash Flow per Share
Stream of cash through a business. Reveals how easily a company can deal with unexpected expenses or opportunities.

Earnings per Share (EPS)
A company earnings divided by how many shares are outstanding. The bigger the number the better.
Example: Company ABC earns $10,000 and has 1000 shares so their EPS is $10

Net Profit Margin
A company's profit divided by their gross income. High net profit margin can indicate good management that can control costs. High net profit margins are the hallmarks of companies that dominate.
Example: Company ABC has profit of $1,000 for every $10,000 of income so their net profit margin is 10%

Price/Book Ratio
Compares the stocks price with how much the stock is worth right now if somebody liquidated the company.
(Not the best measure for every company. Example: the Value of McDonalds goes way beyond frying machines and cash registers. So more investors are willing to pay more than book value for it.)

Price/Earnings Ratio (P/E)
Price of a stock divided by the company's EPS
Example: $40 stock with $2 EPS = P/E of 20 vs $100 stock with $10 EPS = P/E of 10 ($100 stock is a better value because you are buying more earnings power with your money.)

Price/Sales Ratio (P/S)
Price per share divided by sales per share. Compares stock price with sales revenue.

Technical Stock Measurements

Moving Averages
Smooths out the bounciness of the raw price so you can better detect its trends. Position of the current price in relation to the SMA provides hints on where the price is heading next.

Relative Strength Index (RSI)
Alerts you when a stock’s price has stretched to far in one direction or the other and is due for a snap back towards the middle. To far up = Overbought and To far down = Oversold

Volume
The amount of stock that’s traded on any given day, week, or time period. Measured in either the amount of shares traded or the dollar amount moved as a result of that trading. Rising volume on a rising stock price shows buyers controlling the market. Rising volume on a declining price shows something sellers controlling the market. The stronger the volume, the more persistent the stock’s price trend.

not sure if this fits thread, but seems like a good place for everything stock related

if anyone can enlighten on the following terms

Rate of return

Perhaps enlightenment on brokerage accounts
(account values, trade values)

Trading periods

this Bullish (8.5) 10 Firms †

2 months ago '14        #23
El Caballero  82 heat pts82
space
space
$30,676   Props total: 37515 37515
 Damagegadget said
not sure if this fits thread, but seems like a good place for everything stock related

if anyone can enlighten on the following terms

Rate of return

Perhaps enlightenment on brokerage accounts
(account values, trade values)

Trading periods

this Bullish (8.5) 10 Firms †
rate of return is just the % you get back on your investment

for example you bought one share of a stock worth $100
you sell it for $200 a year later

100% rate of return (not realistic but just an example)

idk exactly what you want to know about brokerage accounts your question is vague
...a brokerage account is just an account you use to hold and trade securities

idk what you mean by trading periods but the NYSE is open M-F (minus their holidays) from 9:30 - 4

this is when most stocks are traded but there are after hours trades and there are other markets around the world

2 months ago '07        #24
Damagegadget  495 heat pts495
space
space
$41,138   Props total: 28921 28921
 El Caballero said
rate of return is just the % you get back on your investment

for example you bought one share of a stock worth $100
you sell it for $200 a year later

100% rate of return (not realistic but just an example)

idk exactly what you want to know about brokerage accounts your question is vague
...a brokerage account is just an account you use to hold and trade securities

idk what you mean by trading periods but the NYSE is open M-F (minus their holidays) from 9:30 - 4

this is when most stocks are traded but there are after hours trades and there are other markets around the world
you pretty much answered everything I needed to know..thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+129online now  22
Video inside Old Head Tank Confirms he’s Gay
354 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+60online now  22
Still the greatest kill in cinema history
117 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  18
Image(s) inside Official Halloween Dope costume Thread ! 👻👹😈&#..
78 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+24online now  14
DBFZ Broly Leak
10 comments
2 days ago
@games
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy