S. Carolina Lawmakers to File Proposal Similar to California Fair Pay to Play Act

most viewed right now
153 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

6 days ago '17        #1
255 page views
9 comments

Jdog168  36 heat pts36
space
space
$1,887 | Props total: 6445 6445
S. Carolina Lawmakers to File Proposal Similar to California Fair Pay to Play Act

Two South Carolina lawmakers plan to file a proposal which would allow college athletes to profit from endorsements, similar to the Fair Pay to Play Act approved by the California State Senate this week.

S.C. Sen. Marlon Kimpson and Rep. Justin Bamberg told The State they plan to file the bill when the General a*sembly meets again in January.

The proposal would allow South Carolina's "biggest colleges to pay $5,000-a-year stipends to athletes in profitable sports like football and basketball. It also would give collegiate athletes—who can receive tuition and housing for their efforts, but not pay—an opportunity to earn money from sponsorships and autograph sales for the first time," according to The State.

California's Senate approved the Fair Pay to Play Act, which is still pending, with a 39–0 vote on Wednesday. Gov. Gavin Newsom has 30 days to sign or veto the bill.

The Fair Pay to Play Act has already earned a few notable endorsements, including one from Lakers star LeBron James. The bill will allow college athletes to be paid for the use of their name, likeness and image. It would not force schools to pay athletes, but rather allow athletes to hire agents who can procure business and sponsorship deals.

California schools and the NCAA have long opposed the bill, which would make it impossible for schools to follow the NCAA's amateurism rules. On Wednesday, the NCAA sent a letter to Newsom calling the state's legislation "unconstitutional."

visit this link https://www.si.com/colleg .. r-pay-play-act

imageimage
+5   

best
worst
9 comments

6 days ago '18        #2
Signor  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
$1,027 | Props total: 4415 4415
5000 a year they must be out they minds

6 days ago '13        #3
Thongsong19  6 heat pts6
space
space
$19,828 | Props total: 22681 22681
ncaa 2021 comming

i hope

+6   

6 days ago '04        #4
DonofDons21 
space
space
$6,641 | Props total: 1273 1273
It comes down to gambling. They still think the mafia is gonna try to get some kid to shave points and effect the game.

I think you should be able to get paid on top of the stipends you get college for endorsements and autographs and gear you have no use for
+1   

6 days ago '10        #5
6.Yrs  19 heat pts19
space
space
$4,212 | Props total: 14312 14312
The NCAA needs to get ahead of this thing before it's out of their control.

They need to get with all of the professional leagues and come to some kind of agreement. Status quo isn't working and it's obvious. Just like the government and weed... It's only a matter of time.

Allow them to make money off of their likenesses and divide up that revenue. Just put it in a pot and don't allow them to touch it until their "amateur" career is over. Also get rid of all the age limit bullsh*t in all of the leagues.
+2   

6 days ago '04        #6
ghettofied  425 heat pts425
space
space
$28,614 | Props total: 18805 18805
 6.Yrs said
The NCAA needs to get ahead of this thing before it's out of their control.

They need to get with all of the professional leagues and come to some kind of agreement. Status quo isn't working and it's obvious. Just like the government and weed... It's only a matter of time.

Allow them to make money off of their likenesses and divide up that revenue. Just put it in a pot and don't allow them to touch it until their "amateur" career is over. Also get rid of all the age limit bullsh*t in all of the leagues.
Na, I’m good with the age limit stuff. Besides the NBA. I have zero interest in seeing some five star WR from High School get obliterated in the Pros.
+3   

6 days ago '10        #7
6.Yrs  19 heat pts19
space
space
 ghettofied said
Na, I’m good with the age limit stuff. Besides the NBA. I have zero interest in seeing some five star WR from High School get obliterated in the Pros.
Yes I agree.. I'm sure no NFL team if going to be dumb enough to draft a 160 pound 6'2 WR. The NFL has a free farm system and i'm sure they're not looking to change that. I just think if you change the law it will stop the bullsh*t everywhere else.

No tennis age limit? No Hockey age limit? No soccer age limit?? Just basketball and football. fu*k all that. If somebody is willing to pay those young men let them get paid.

Last edited by 6.Yrs; 09-14-2019 at 05:31 AM..
+1   

6 days ago '04        #8
ghettofied  425 heat pts425
space
space
$28,614 | Props total: 18805 18805
 6.Yrs said
Yes I agree.. I'm sure no NFL team if going to be dumb enough to draft a 160 pound 6'2 WR. They NFL has a free farm system and i'm sure they're not looking to change that. I just think if you change the law period it will stop the bullsh*t everywhere else.

No tennis age limit? No Hockey age limit? No soccer age limit?? Just basketball and football. fu*k all that. If somebody is willing to pay those young men let them get paid.
The other sports I really don't give a sh*t about amatuerism. Same as baseball.

6 days ago '10        #9
6.Yrs  19 heat pts19
space
space
 ghettofied said
The other sports I really don't give a sh*t about amatuerism. Same as baseball.
Why do you think you feel that way?

Are you from the south? There seems to be more of a love for college football from sports fans in the south than there is over here up north/ east coast. I feel like dudes in the south tend to be bigger fans of the college football teams.. Choosing them over the NFL most times too.

No?

6 days ago '14        #10
titans7  3 heat pts3
space
space
$10,982 | Props total: 28762 28762

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+75online now  21
It’s messed up how true this is
44 comments