Stephen A Smith on athletes complaining about the way they're treated "slave mentality."

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '12        #51
44wade 307 heat pts307
space
space
space
$28,118 | Props total: 17457 17457
 MHP Trotty said
Slaves were evaluated for physical fitness, size, weight, etc.

Once again, itís not slavery by definition.

Once again, youíre naive if you honestly believe that what these athletes go thru is not a descendant/grandchild of slavery. Slavery has existed for thousands of years my dude in different iterations. This is America. Concepts from American slavery are going to be passed down directly and indirectly.

If measuring black men for how physically fit they are before they are acquired by an ownerís plantation/franchise didnít get passed down, then why did black people being second class citizens get passed down from slavery? Something gotta give.
So how is evaluating someone else in what they do any different? White people, black people, spanish, etc... all get evaluated for their respective fields.

If you chose athletics, then physical evaluation seems like a prerequisite to that.

And, I cant compare it to the atrocities that were US Slavery.

1 week ago '12        #52
44wade 307 heat pts307
space
space
space
 RubbahBandMane said
Ok just go with the flow then
I dont know the answer, I just know the outcome will always be the same.

The top will always be the oppressor.

When you have to police millions or billions, there isnt a perfect way to do it. Of course there are worse ways than others.

On topic, modern day athletics, to me, isnt modern day slavery.

1 week ago '07        #53
LateModelSedan 165 heat pts165
space
space
$6,022 | Props total: 7876 7876
 talkofny2k4 said
Who takes steven a smith and his thoughts seriously?
He's a joke just like lavar ball and his family.
G.s in 7

extreme comparison, wouldnt u say? lavar ball is an absolute clown. stephen a. is just loud and obnoxious.

1 week ago '05        #54
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$41,711 | Props total: 13835 13835
I agree

1 week ago '18        #55
RubbahBandMane 14 heat pts14
space
space
$1,475 | Props total: 4136 4136
 44wade said
I dont know the answer, I just know the outcome will always be the same.

The top will always be the oppressor.

When you have to police millions or billions, there isnt a perfect way to do it. Of course there are worse ways than others.

On topic, modern day athletics, to me, isnt modern day slavery.
We got to find the answer then and not just continue to go in the same direction. Ownership and power are the keys to changing the system. If we just say fu*k it..it is what it is then society and athletics is going to continue to deteriote like they are now.

Ok let's just say that the NFL or NBA is not modern day slavery..what about college athletics? Coach gets paid 4 million a year, school makes almost billions off the athletic programs. TV deals, concession stands, ticket sales, jersey sales, March Madness and Bowl games. But the lowly athlete gets paid $0 and will get investigated for receiving any money. If that' not exploitation and a form of slavery to you then I dont know what to tell you.

Finally there are many types of slavery. You guys are thinking about chattel slavery. Just to name a few types: you have mental slavery, corporate slavery, debt slavery, and s*x slavery. I'm not about to defend these oppressors my G

Last edited by RubbahBandMane; 06-12-2019 at 10:02 PM..
+1   

1 week ago '07        #56
timdog 1121 heat pts1121
space
space
$39,025 | Props total: 31464 31464
 MHP Trotty said
Maybe I am.

Is it possible that I can identify a problem AND be powerless to fix it, at the same time? Support what I see on the surface level, but despise whatís underneath that surface? Is that possible?
I understand you.

If the players level up and start their own league that would eliminate alot of problems.

1 week ago '12        #57
44wade 307 heat pts307
space
space
space
 RubbahBandMane said
We got to find the answer then and not just continue to go in the same direction. Ownership and power is the keys to changing the system. If we just say fu*k it..it is what it is then society and athletics is going to continue to deteriote like there are now.

Ok let's just say that the NFL or NBA is not modern day slavery..what about college athletics? Coach gets paid 4 million a year, school makes almost billions off the athletic programs. TV deals, concession stands, ticket sales, jersey sales, March Madness and Bowl games. But the lowly athlete gets paid $0 and will get investigated for receiving any money. If that' not exploitation and a form of slavery to you then I dont know what to tell you.

Finally there are many types of slavery. You guys are thinking about chattel slavery. Just to name a few types: you have mental slavery, corporate slavery, debt slavery, and s*x slavery. I'm not about to defend these oppressors my G
How is athletics going downhill( couldnt spell deterioate?? lol) Society isnt either.

More people have more access to things they never did before. Thats a myth. Only thing going on right now is that you have access to find out the bullsh*t thats always been going on, and there are too many dumb people who's opinion holds weight now because of how small the world has gotten.

As far as college athletics, i agree to a certain extent that the system isnt great. But I dont agree that they should get paid. I think they shouldnt live worse than a normal college student though. I have some opinions on this, but then it kind of changes the subject of pro high paid athletes comparing themselves to slaves. Whole different subject.

As far as forms of slavery, alot of those you mentioned cant be just conquerored. You literally have to change human nature. You cant eliminate the worst in the human psyche just cause you have this ideal. There is no utopia. It just cant exist. Somebody is always gonna get over on someone, how do you stop that?

But, we can make what happened for hundreds of years in the US, illegal, and make sure that it never happens again. And I cant compare that to modern day athletics.

1 week ago '06        #58
authenic 6 heat pts
space
space
$6,019 | Props total: 3019 3019
Football is terrible mofos sign 48 mil contracts and make at the most half of that and get cut lol...nthen fans be like you signed a contract honor to...because I can't blah blah blah. For one the teams can cut someone AND GET out of paying the player easy the contract is littered with that in the nfl. Secondly, for the fans that say be good worker like they are and deal with don't understand that as player in any sport your performance employs people in your circle but also thousands of people in that town...the avg 9-5 er ain't nearly as important.
+1   

1 week ago '18        #59
space
space
 44wade said
How is athletics going downhill( couldnt spell deterioate?? lol) Society isnt either.

More people have more access to things they never did before. Thats a myth. Only thing going on right now is that you have access to find out the bullsh*t thats always been going on, and there are too many dumb people who's opinion holds weight now because of how small the world has gotten.

As far as college athletics, i agree to a certain extent that the system isnt great. But I dont agree that they should get paid. I think they shouldnt live worse than a normal college student though. I have some opinions on this, but then it kind of changes the subject of pro high paid athletes comparing themselves to slaves. Whole different subject.

As far as forms of slavery, alot of those you mentioned cant be just conquerored. You literally have to change human nature. You cant eliminate the worst in the human psyche just cause you have this ideal. There is no utopia. It just cant exist. Somebody is always gonna get over on someone, how do you stop that?

But, we can make what happened for hundreds of years in the US, illegal, and make sure that it never happens again. And I cant compare that to modern day athletics.
You got it bro it's pointless to continue this convo smh. Good luck fella
+1   

1 week ago '11        #60
GrindPOWER$ 485 heat pts485
space
space
$24,347 | Props total: 29695 29695
 Tully Blanchard said
Those combines have a buck auction vibe to them though
i agree with that i'm waiting for somebody to say..how much can i fetch for this sturdy buck but its not only blacks so i'm not too salty but i get what you saying.

but OP THE DUDE SAS IS RIGHT you can say i'm not coming to work today and they still pay you if you pull that sh*t when slavery was around they k*ll ya or chop something off.
+1   

1 week ago '18        #61
CTisGoat 43 heat pts43
space
space
space
$2,311 | Props total: 3882 3882
 timdog said
what u yawning about? Dude is right.

The player empowerment era has went too far.

These n*ggas act like noone should criticize them ever and always talking about their sacrifices .

THe hate they got in the 90s/early 2000s was too much but now its swung the other way.

They dont think they need to show loyalty (bron) but expect no one to ever critique them (kd) or have an opinion.

1 week ago '18        #62
space
space
 authenic said
Football is terrible mofos sign 48 mil contracts and make at the most half of that and get cut lol...nthen fans be like you signed a contract honor to...because I can't blah blah blah. For one the teams can cut someone AND GET out of paying the player easy the contract is littered with that in the nfl. Secondly, for the fans that say be good worker like they are and deal with don't understand that as player in any sport your performance employs people in your circle but also thousands of people in that town...the avg 9-5 er ain't nearly as important.
This literally just happened to my cousin last year with the Houston Texans and Washington Redskins. Here is a picture of the big fella..its a dirty game man I'm telling ya

[pic - click to view]

1 week ago '12        #63
44wade 307 heat pts307
space
space
space
 RubbahBandMane said
You got it bro it's pointless to continue this convo smh. Good luck fella
cool.

trust me though, i get all of what you are saying. So i hope you dont think there was a lack of understanding.

Good luck to you as well.
+1   

1 week ago '18        #64
space
space
 44wade said
cool.

trust me though, i get all of what you are saying. So i hope you dont think there was a lack of understanding.

Good luck to you as well.
No doubt we can agree to disagree. We all are free to have our own opinions
+1   

1 week ago '06        #65
authenic 6 heat pts
space
space
 RubbahBandMane said
This literally just happened to my cousin last year with the Houston Texans and Washington Redskins. Here is a picture of the big fella..its a dirty game man I'm telling ya

[pic - click to view]

Yea man sh*t is foul even more so in football where it taxes your body so much and for non superstar player it can be really hard to brand your self to purse opportunities outside of football. My cousin got drafted in the 5 or 6 round to the pats and I'm hoping he can stick...the 2020 CBA needs to be lucrative for the players
+1   

1 week ago '06        #66
authenic 6 heat pts
space
space
 CTisGoat said

These n*ggas act like noone should criticize them ever and always talking about their sacrifices .

THe hate they got in the 90s/early 2000s was too much but now its swung the other way.

They dont think they need to show loyalty (bron) but expect no one to ever critique them (kd) or have an opinion.
Because the critique comes from people who never play the game and just write stuff for ratings and views. And to loyalty that stemmed from the response of the cavs owner after lebron left for mia. To disrespect and vilified someone who elevated not only the franchise but the city was in poor taste, to say the least. Add to that whenever a team cuts or refuse to sign players it's what best for the team but when a player does its frowned upon but it's that's players body and youth...franchises don't have an expiration date...players do

1 week ago '12        #67
44wade 307 heat pts307
space
space
space
 RubbahBandMane said
No doubt we can agree to disagree. We all are free to have our own opinions
definitely.

although I dont disagree with you in the normal sense.

I want things to be better, and I hate to see the bad things that happen in the world, and I wish there was a way we could solve them.

End all forms of slavery, racism, world hunger, homelessness, etc...

I hate the fact that the majority of the worlds wealth is held by 1%.
+1   

1 week ago '18        #68
space
space
 authenic said
Yea man sh*t is foul even more so in football where it taxes your body so much and for non superstar player it can be really hard to brand your self to purse opportunities outside of football. My cousin got drafted in the 5 or 6 round to the pats and I'm hoping he can stick...the 2020 CBA needs to be lucrative for the players
That's whassup hopefully your fam makes it and stays true to himself and your family. Concussions ended my cousin's career..I think he suffered like 4 and then retired after the Redskins

Last edited by RubbahBandMane; 06-12-2019 at 11:32 PM..

1 week ago '18        #69
space
space
 44wade said
definitely.

although I dont disagree with you in the normal sense.

I want things to be better, and I hate to see the bad things that happen in the world, and I wish there was a way we could solve them.

End all forms of slavery, racism, world hunger, homelessness, etc...

I hate the fact that the majority of the worlds wealth is held by 1%.
I'm right there with you bro. It's a sad state of affairs in the world but we cannot give up. The first step is awareness that these things are happening. I'm a firm believer that the 1% will fall in due time
+1   

1 week ago '18        #70
CTisGoat 43 heat pts43
space
space
space
 authenic said
Because the critique comes from people who never play the game and just write stuff for ratings and views. And to loyalty that stemmed from the response of the cavs owner after lebron left for mia. To disrespect and vilified someone who elevated not only the franchise but the city was in poor taste, to say the least. Add to that whenever a team cuts or refuse to sign players it's what best for the team but when a player does its frowned upon but it's that's players body and youth...franchises don't have an expiration date...players do
Ugh no, LBJ left before Gilberts comments so how was the lack of loyalty a reaction to that?

So only other players opinions matter?

So only former presidents can critique trump?

Only former actors can critique actors?

Former rappers can critique rappers?

That's retarded.

Players are being overly sensitive now. They get paid millions to play a game, taking critiques comes with the territory

If they dont want to get criticized dont play professionally.

1 week ago '06        #71
authenic 6 heat pts
space
space
 CTisGoat said
Ugh no, LBJ left before Gilberts comments so how was the lack of loyalty a reaction to that?

So only other players opinions matter?

So only former presidents can critique trump?

Only former actors can critique actors?

Former rappers can critique rappers?

Players are being overly sensitive now. They get paid millions to play a game, taking critiques comes with the territory

If they dont want to get criticized dont play professionally.
Boy you can't read I said it stemmed from the response of Gilbert after lebron left for mia.
He played for the Cavs for years before leaving and the have ain't do much in FA or in scouting to build around him. So yeah lebron was very loyal to an owner who was vampiric. Similar to how Donald Sterling refused to build a competent team for years because he made money either way.

The former players opinion matter more yes because they been there. Secondly the critics should be held liable for what they say and there reputation should take a hit when they get stuff wrong if they want to be held to the same merit as players. Take Mel kipper, he been wrong so much in his scouting analysis not only that but he's question character, work ethic of players who end being the complete opposite but there's no backlash for it outside of a couple YouTube expose videos.

Bottom line players should be sensitive because its their body their youth their decision that's being questioned to give critics a job and platform to monetize. Critics should have more respect for the players because many wouldn't have a job or at very least the high profile job they have without them.
Lastly, there is no way to critique the writers, analyst etc for what they get wrong in fact it seems that they are rewarded more for saying outlandish sh*t.

1 week ago '18        #72
CTisGoat 43 heat pts43
space
space
space
 authenic said
Boy you can't read I said it stemmed from the response of Gilbert after lebron left for mia.
And as I said no it didnt...

He played for the Cavs for years before leaving and the have ain't do much in FA or in scouting to build around him. So yeah lebron was very loyal to an owner who was vampiric. Similar to how Donald Sterling refused to build a competent team for years because he made money either way.
Are u stupid? Do you know how contracts work...Do u think LBJ couldve left every year?

The former players opinion matter more yes because they been there. Secondly the critics should be held liable for what they say and there reputation should take a hit when they get stuff wrong if they want to be held to the same merit as players. Take Mel kipper, he been wrong so much in his scouting analysis not only that but he's question character, work ethic of players who end being the complete opposite but there's no backlash for it outside of a couple YouTube expose videos.

Bottom line players should be sensitive because its their body their youth their decision that's being questioned to give critics a job and platform to monetize. Critics should have more respect for the players because many wouldn't have a job or at very least the high profile job they have without them.
Again retarded, look at the dumb sh*t former players say on the air. Have u heard Paul Pierce? WHy do you think player votes dont count as much for awards? Players are focused on their game and playing, media watches more full games then avg players since that is their only job.

Lastly, there is no way to critique the writers, analyst etc for what they get wrong in fact it seems that they are rewarded more for saying outlandish sh*t.
Thats up to the fans....Not sure what point you are trying to make is.

1 week ago '06        #73
authenic 6 heat pts
space
space
 CTisGoat said
And as I said no it didnt...

Are u stupid? Do you know how contracts work...Do u think LBJ couldve left every year?

Again retarded, look at the dumb sh*t former players say on the air. Have u heard Paul Pierce? WHy do you think player votes dont count as much for awards? Players are focused on their game and playing, media watches more full games then avg players since that is their only job.

Thats up to the fans....Not sure what point you are trying to make is.
Best point you made is Paul Pierce. But you follow it up with media watch more game then the players lol...players have access to analytics, camera angles and player focused footage that media personnel don't have period. Lebron wasn't loyal to the cavs when he took his talents to south beach. That shouldn't even be the narrative. If something isn't working you shouldn't have to stay. And you shouldn't be slandered when gms and owners don't build properly.

1 week ago '07        #74
timdog 1121 heat pts1121
space
space
$39,025 | Props total: 31464 31464
 CTisGoat said

I'm yawning because athletes should never be compared to slaves.
+1   

1 week ago '18        #75
CTisGoat 43 heat pts43
space
space
space
 timdog said
I'm yawning because athletes should never be compared to slaves.
true

Home      

most viewed right now
+133online now  32
Image(s) inside Milf Bod
62 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  18
Jun 18 - Rep. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell - Reparations are not a g..
228 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
-47online now  15
Video inside They need to isolate Atlanta, yall niccas got radiation in yall water.
139 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  10
them shorts can't fit all that ass
45 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy