online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Why Rappers Stopped Writing: The Punch-In Method (NYT)

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

5 months ago '14        #51
OCT DION 
Props total: 38219 38 K  Slaps total: 3589 3 K
I always thought that Lil Wayne, Kanye and T-Pain ruined hip hop. Not because they were trash but because the generation immediately after them was poorly imitating them.
+8   

5 months ago '04        #52
doczdaname  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 19124 19 K  Slaps total: 3142 3 K
No wonder why everything sounds so basic. This isn't an artform, just laziness but people still listen so it is just another form of how the world is becoming more and more lazy in every function of humanity.
+2   

5 months ago '15        #53
KNSCRY  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 25717 25 K  Slaps total: 562 562
Smh

5 months ago '15        #54
Clippyclipp 
Props total: 9319 9 K  Slaps total: 1331 1 K
 DaQCKing said 🔗
That punching in sh1t don't work for me. Just doesn't flow. Voice comes in a different levels and inflections. Starts to sound choppy. I give props to those that can pull it off.
That mean you have to get better on your vocal presence which is also a ski1l as well. It’s a lot things that aren’t anymore that is why a lot music is lack luster
+1   

5 months ago '19        #55
FrivolousSports 
Props total: 174828 174 K  Slaps total: 45620 45 K
 90sVibe said 🔗
You think Wayne popularize this ?
The only rapper with the most clones in humanity?

Yes wayne popularized it
+2   

5 months ago '16        #56
90sVibe 
Props total: 12782 12 K  Slaps total: 1914 1 K
 5ive04our said 🔗
Yes!
Biggie was doing this in the 90’s … Jay was doing the same thing before Wayne.

5 months ago '20        #57
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x273
Props total: 142985 142 K  Slaps total: 30776 30 K
 90sVibe said 🔗
Wayne popularized it in mainstream hip hop

5 months ago '04        #58
strat 
Props total: 7478 7 K  Slaps total: 1657 1 K
 xanaxandbeer said 🔗
all the new rappers are cheating. rap is fake now . thats why uzi vert can barely rap live all he does is dance and growl into the mic all these new rappers performance is TRASH
Facts. I hated punching in because you could spit some sh1t you couldn't do live. Always wrote first and then had that sh1t good enough for 1 or 2 takes. But that was in the day of adats and early digital and we were paying for studio time hourly. Get that sh1t done so we could eat off that budget money. Now the studio is a drug den sh1t used to be the office.
+5   

5 months ago '21        #59
0 0 X X X 
Props total: 3892 3 K  Slaps total: 361 361
makes sense songwriting at a all time low & declining still..........*

+1   

5 months ago '11        #60
SuL2K12 
Props total: 6220 6 K  Slaps total: 672 672
I saw a video of Torey Lanez doing this.
He and his engineer were definitely on the same page he makes songs quick.
+2   

5 months ago '06        #61
Ave 
Props total: 45593 45 K  Slaps total: 3887 3 K
What in the fu#k was that veeze n1gga on
that sh1t was atrocious

5 months ago '12        #62
The2ndHorseman 
Props total: 34254 34 K  Slaps total: 2444 2 K
because these n1ggas arent clever or talented writers
+1   

5 months ago '11        #63
Tony Franks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 72965 72 K  Slaps total: 10017 10 K
here are gonna be no more "one-take" rappers who come in the booth ready to lay it down and move to the next one.
+1   

5 months ago '09        #64
iamsoulja 
Props total: 14963 14 K  Slaps total: 2146 2 K
🔗

🔗

+4   

5 months ago '19        #65
aaf192020  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 144425 144 K  Slaps total: 17444 17 K
No wonder these n1ggas is ass! Mfers is making this sh1t up as they go along!
+2   

5 months ago '07        #66
Pistol Peter 
Props total: 25889 25 K  Slaps total: 1694 1 K
because they are no longer saying sh1t

5 months ago '04        #67
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 46110 46 K  Slaps total: 7540 7 K
Biggie then jigga. Ok, no way for the general public to tell but they craft prove themselves. Plus its harder process to write a song, but once its locked in, u never have to memorize it cuz u put in that work in the front end

When dwayne picked it up, it became a fad

Dudes that REALLY should be writing things down be the next in line to brag they dont write. As if thats a good look for ur ret@rded ass...

Anyways, when rappers started to read off of they blackberry wit a side scoll the text messages they 5 ghostwriters be sending them, knew it was over
+5   

5 months ago '07        #68
OVERLORD 
Props total: 40757 40 K  Slaps total: 10959 10 K
 90sVibe said 🔗
Biggie got it from jay

5 months ago '22        #69
VirgilSlangblow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 8385 8 K  Slaps total: 769 769
 Dun Language said 🔗
thats why the music is trash n1ggas dont write and think their sh1t out

they get high and drunk and record 4 bars and punch in sh1t has no flow to it
verses don't make a lick of sense without an adlib
+1   

5 months ago '21        #70
Episode 
Props total: 13558 13 K  Slaps total: 2724 2 K
Mfs hating on this have no firsthand experience making music and it shows. All it is is a different method of reaching the same end goal.

I ain’t written a single word in 5+ years because my music and flow tr@nsitions got infinitely better as soon as I stopped. Writing makes it stiffer because you’re trying to fit exact wording a certain way instead of what naturally rolls off the tongue and rides the beat. My “writing” process is this same “semi freestyle” method where I record 2-4 bar chunks as they come to me and build the verse like that. Sometimes I’ll even spit gibberish to record the flow/melody, and then fill it in wit actual bars to fit it afterwards. Everything comes out more naturally this way.

Literally what is the difference or problem tho? End of the day you are still pre-creating the song piece by piece whether the words are written down or not. There ain’t no “cheating” or laziness about it unless a mf is bold faced lying and claiming that they one take freestyle all their sh1t front to back off the dome.
+3   

5 months ago '22        #71
 90sVibe said 🔗
biggie ad jay had verses and entire concepts in their head before "punching in" tho. half these dudes just figuring it out on the fly
+1   

5 months ago '15        #72
MULVTTX 
Props total: 29625 29 K  Slaps total: 1987 1 K
The current wave of rap is less about what you saying as a whole and more about how the whole thing sounds and we all the worse for it lol
+1   

5 months ago '06        #73
28 Gramz 
Props total: 16783 16 K  Slaps total: 2513 2 K
 OCT DION said 🔗
I always thought that Lil Wayne, Kanye and T-Pain ruined hip hop. Not because they were trash but because the generation immediately after them was poorly imitating them.
2010+ generation has been cosplaying Future and Young.

5 months ago '16        #74
90sVibe 
Props total: 12782 12 K  Slaps total: 1914 1 K
 VirgilSlangblow said 🔗
biggie ad jay had verses and entire concepts in their head before "punching in" tho. half these dudes just figuring it out on the fly
I agree but In regards to saying Wayne popularized this is incorrect because he was inspired to do it.
+3   

5 months ago '22        #75
 Episode said 🔗
Mfs hating on this have no firsthand experience making music and it shows. All it is is a different method of reaching the same end goal.

I ain’t written a single word in 5+ years because my music and flow tr@nsitions got infinitely better as soon as I stopped. Writing makes it stiffer because you’re trying to fit exact wording a certain way instead of what naturally rolls off the tongue and rides the beat. My “writing” process is this same “semi freestyle” method where I record 2-4 bar chunks as they come to me and build the verse like that. Sometimes I’ll even spit gibberish to record the flow/melody, and then fill it in wit actual bars to fit it afterwards. Everything comes out more naturally this way.

Literally what is the difference or problem tho? End of the day you are still pre-creating the song piece by piece whether the words are written down or not. There ain’t no “cheating” or laziness about it unless a mf is bold faced lying and claiming that they one take freestyle all their sh1t front to back off the dome.

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
logo JJ Redd*ck standing on business
42 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Dame Dash says He Didn’t Raise Kevin Hart To Do The Things He's Done...
78 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Feb 20 - Putin gives Kim Jong-un luxury automobile
34 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
props+18417
logo Behind the Scenes of 'Inside the NBA" Gives a Glimpse of Crew's True Perso..
95 comments
22 hours ago
@sports