online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Why Rappers Stopped Writing: The Punch-In Method (NYT)

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

5 months ago '17        #26
DaQCKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x19
Props total: 178935 178 K  Slaps total: 7181 7 K
 Ea$e said 🔗
I'm sure it's a lot faster.

My process has always been write when inspired, stop when the inspiration leaves and continue when it comes back. Recite out loud, change words around as necessary, repeat.

By the time I get in front of the mic, I have it memorized. From there, I stylize how I recite bars as necessary and voila.

This can take as little as 30 minutes or it can take as long as has to.

Punching in for corrections makes sense, but I couldnt imagine writing in such a stop and go fashion. (Although I can see how having a dedicated engineer to record you would help.)
That punching in sh1t don't work for me. Just doesn't flow. Voice comes in a different levels and inflections. Starts to sound choppy. I give props to those that can pull it off.
+6   

5 months ago '16        #27
Staywoke 
Props total: 1637 1 K  Slaps total: 218 218
emoji
+1   

5 months ago '20        #28
Blarry David 
Props total: 2837 2 K  Slaps total: 214 214
Thuggers bread n butter

5 months ago '21        #29
Playboy69  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x41
Props total: 91155 91 K  Slaps total: 10724 10 K
 FrivolousSports said 🔗
Wayne got everyone doing this sh1t smh
Nah it’s was me first
emoji

5 months ago '06        #30
28 Gramz 
Props total: 16837 16 K  Slaps total: 2528 2 K
 Playboy69 said 🔗
Nah it’s was me first
emoji
Wayne made it the standard, even though he got it from Jay.
+1   

5 months ago '15        #31
mrwoodside 
Props total: 15561 15 K  Slaps total: 2151 2 K
And the music shows..

Maybe they need to start back writing
+3   

5 months ago '21        #32
Playboy69  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x41
Props total: 91155 91 K  Slaps total: 10724 10 K
 28 Gramz said 🔗
Which Jay got it from Me…I’m the Oracle
emoji
+1   

5 months ago '15        #33
BalmainReyes 
Props total: 7543 7 K  Slaps total: 555 555
I love Boxden because mainstream outlets like NYT put sh1t like this out and people really deep in the culture like here on BX really know wassup….We gotta keep our intelligent culture alive.
+4   

5 months ago '16        #34
90sVibe 
Props total: 12925 12 K  Slaps total: 1920 1 K
 5ive04our said 🔗
Simple as that we don't need another answer we all know who popularized this style
You think Wayne popularize this ?
+1   

5 months ago '04        #35
Cutty Olds 
Props total: 24780 24 K  Slaps total: 1990 1 K
 Ea$e said 🔗
I'm sure it's a lot faster.

My process has always been write when inspired, stop when the inspiration leaves and continue when it comes back. Recite out loud, change words around as necessary, repeat.

By the time I get in front of the mic, I have it memorized. From there, I stylize how I recite bars as necessary and voila.

This can take as little as 30 minutes or it can take as long as has to.

Punching in for corrections makes sense, but I couldnt imagine writing in such a stop and go fashion. (Although I can see how having a dedicated engineer to record you would help.)
Eh, sh1ts choppy the producers and engineers are doing all the work it’s why them n1ggas can’t “flow” live or improvise as well…they ain’t got the voice and delivery discipline most of the time
+3   

5 months ago '22        #36
EverythingWith2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 9952 9 K  Slaps total: 1036 1 K
Who gives a fu#k how the fu#k it's bein made? Unless you're an artist yourself lookin for new creative strategies/outlets you really should just shut the fu#k up and keep enjoyin w/e the fu#k music it is you been programmed to enjoy cause a bunch of other mufu#kas told you to like it. If n1ggas gave a sh1t about talent and creative processes fr then they wouldn't complain so much about the state of the game. Cause there's plenty of talented mufu#kas out there providin exactly what yall claim to wanna hear. Most of you n1ggas are just so despicably fu#king lazy that you'd rather complain about what's spoon-fed to you by the mainstream instead of actually findin some sh1t you like

🔗

5 months ago '19        #37
Megaman 
Props total: 12397 12 K  Slaps total: 11062 11 K
 FrivolousSports said 🔗
Raekwon and Ghostface were the first rappers that I heard doing this artisticly on on every verse. Long before Wayne.

5 months ago '23        #38
KlimSenobi 
Props total: 2589 2 K  Slaps total: 803 803
 90sVibe said 🔗
He didn’t. Plenty rappers were doing this before him. He may have been the first that some people saw do it from his documentary but it’s been common practice in studios for a long time. He may have made consumers aware of the style but he didn’t start or popularize it in the actual industry/recording world.
+4   

5 months ago '20        #39
Catalinawm 
Props total: 30616 30 K  Slaps total: 2017 2 K
unless you got elite level memory this has been going on since Hov was actively rapping back in the day years ago

5 months ago '18        #40
mistersims 
Props total: 4464 4 K  Slaps total: 277 277
 DaQCKing said 🔗
That punching in sh1t don't work for me. Just doesn't flow. Voice comes in a different levels and inflections. Starts to sound choppy. I give props to those that can pull it off.
this is why the producer/engineer deserves way more credit. they are the ones who make it sound smooth and tell the artist to do it over if it doesnt work.
+2   

5 months ago '20        #41
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x273
Props total: 143739 143 K  Slaps total: 30868 30 K
 90sVibe said 🔗
Yes!

5 months ago '15        #42
Rifle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 29404 29 K  Slaps total: 1992 1 K
Just feels like the rhymes more clever when n1ggas pick up the pen. This get high mumble to the beat sh1t got mainstream music sounding the same. I think once the mentality of I’m a hustler that just happens to rap took off mainstream music fell off the cliff.
+8   

5 months ago '18        #43
illicit lee  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 17301 17 K  Slaps total: 2194 2 K
 Sinamatik CFR said 🔗
This is nothing new, lol... most people already knew this is what most of them n1ggas was bragging about with the "no pen/no written" sh1t since the days of Jay and Big anyway....

Thing is, 98% of em that is doing it now, are trash and wouldn't be much better if they was writing em...
Real talk .. been seeing dudes so this 20 years now
+1   

5 months ago '16        #44
Ghostface Killa  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 58306 58 K  Slaps total: 10022 10 K
 FrivolousSports said 🔗
Wayne can actually rap though
+2   

5 months ago '06        #45
28 Gramz 
Props total: 16837 16 K  Slaps total: 2528 2 K
 90sVibe said 🔗
He did.

Top 10 most propped recently  5 months ago '19        #46
FrivolousSports 
Props total: 176366 176 K  Slaps total: 45963 45 K
 28 Gramz said 🔗
Jay doesn’t punch in he has his verse already in his mind

Wayne punches in every bar

5 months ago '21        #47
loveeveryday  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 39557 39 K  Slaps total: 13211 13 K
 mprnc2000 said 🔗
Thank you! Dudes talking about they go off the top of the head like they spit a whole 16 straight off the top
Some do go completely off the top if you listen close enough you can tell which songs are full freestyle and which are punches

The faster the rapping the more likely it’s a punch in

5 months ago '17        #48
ProjectTalk 
Props total: 3276 3 K  Slaps total: 606 606
punch in raps are wack and sound amateur

written raps will always be superior
+3   

5 months ago '06        #49
Hit Em' Up 
Props total: 10228 10 K  Slaps total: 1544 1 K
Wasn’t biggie one of the first to say he didn’t write bars? Some people can come from that off the top freestyle background….ive seen pac, jay , Lupe, and a feee other do it. I think jay mentally just remembers his verses…like creates the lyrics beforehand and does it he definitely ain’t punchin in especially with that subliminal and double entendres. He definitely spent ske time putting words together in his head before he hit the studio and with practice he learned to master that. But even that jays freeestle with big L that sh1t sounded mostly off the top to me. PACs freestyle with big was definitely off the top. Lupe has a bunch of freeestyles off the top even that diss vs Royce was off the top. The guys in this video don’t understand that it’s cool to write sh1t down. Maybe before you start recording punch in some sh1t into your head to think about a flow and a chorus and hook gonna sound then once you created the blueprint for the song put pen to the pad or use your phone to type it in

The people listening don’t know if you just punching in, we just know your sh1t sound ass. Pac already had writtens that’s all he’d do all day. Remember a guy saying he went to take a sh1t and by the time he was done he wrote 2 songs. The amount of unrecorded and just written unreleased raps….

With this new ai technology pac about to drop a whole new Catalogue
+1   

5 months ago '11        #50
Silencer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 66858 66 K  Slaps total: 2788 2 K
Nothing new but I believe the obvious punch in method became industry popular with Mike Jones

Im talking about when the end of your bar overlaps the start of the new bar

🔗

If someone knows of an earlier example let me know.
+1   

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
Video inside Being a passport bro is all in your mind. Just travel and live “The wor..
87 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props-3411
Welp alleged leaked audio from Meek and Diddy making love
60 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
logo Word in Indianapolis is the Chicago Bears are close to finalizing a deal f..
122 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Mar 2 - Haiti gang leader vows to oust prime minister
55 comments
1 day ago
@news