BLACK Tech EXCELLENCE @ The Top of 2019

most viewed right now
25 comments @wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

3 months ago '16        #1
1230 page views
33 comments

AfroBucks88 38 heat pts38
space
space
$3,632 | Props total: 9633 9633
BLACK Tech EXCELLENCE @ The Top of 2019

Kenyan innovator invents smart hand gloves which turn sign language into audio speech

A 25-year-old Kenyan innovator has earned global recognition with his invention of a smart hand gloves which are capable of converting sign language movements into audio speech.

Roy Allela, a technology evangelist, says the need to communicate with his 6-year-old niece, who was born deaf, inspired him to build the technology.

Allela is among 16 young Africans who have been shortlisted by The Royal Academy of Engineering Africa Prize for inventors from six countries to receive funding, training and mentoring for projects intended to revolutionize sectors from agriculture and science to women’s health.

The winner will be awarded Sh3.2 million (£25,000) while each of the three runners up will receive Sh1.2 million (£10,000).

According to Allela, his niece encountered difficulties while communicating with members of her family since none of them is conversant with sign language.

The smart gloves – dubbed Sign-IO – have flex sensors that are placed on each finger and have the capacity to quantify the bend of a finger and process the letter being signed.

Using Bluetooth, the gloves are connected to a mobile application, that Allela also developed, which then converts the sign into audio speech.

“My niece wears the gloves, pairs them to her phone or mine, then starts signing and I’m able to understand what she’s saying,” says Allela.

Allela said the speed at which the signs are vocalized is one of the most important aspects of the smart gloves.

“People speak at different speeds and it’s the same with people who sign – some are really fast, others are slow, so we integrated that into the mobile application so that it’s comfortable for anyone to use it,” he said.

Through the app, users are able to set the language, gender, and pitch of the audio voice, with accuracy results averaging 93 percent.

“It f*ghts the stigma a*sociated with being deaf and having a speech impediment. If the gloves look cool, every kid will want to know why you have them on,” says Allela.

Allela’s innovation recently won the Hardware Trailblazer award from the prestigious American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) during its 2017 ASME Innovation Showcase (ISHOW) competition.

Allela says he is using the prize money from the award to make more accurate vocal predictions.

Last edited by AfroBucks88; 01-09-2019 at 05:42 PM..
+62   

33 comments for "BLACK Tech EXCELLENCE @ The Top of 2019"

3 months ago '09        #2
TraV 79 heat pts79
space
space
$22,043 | Props total: 3610 3610
That'a dope as hell. Hope he got it patented. He can come up like crazy with this sh*t.
+9   

3 months ago '10        #3
The Insomniac 9 heat pts
space
space
$1,490 | Props total: 3060 3060
Shout out to Africa man!!!

+7   

3 months ago '17        #4
Letsgetit 
space
space
space
$38 | Props total: 127 127
How do I invest?
+11   

3 months ago '17        #5
Iduzdis 
space
space
space
$1,513 | Props total: 3376 3376
Of course.

Props to him.
+3   

3 months ago '13        #6
boopityboop 25 heat pts25
space
space
$8,736 | Props total: 7004 7004
I swear when the outside stops interfering and we get to elect our own government officials the world will be so different. There is untapped genius just waiting to be exposed but the opportunities never present themselves. Even when we see who is providing the grants it's sad. They just won't stop being who and what they are.

Shout out to the techies who are making things happen. That was a bittersweet read for damn sure.
+9   

3 months ago '18        #7
Negvagabon 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$522 | Props total: 1182 1182
The african brain drain continues. Britain gets to milk the best and the brightest of african talent for a mere 25k
+7   

3 months ago '16        #8
007imayeseekay 
space
space
$1,347 | Props total: 3003 3003
#Blackfu*kinExcellence
+2   

3 months ago '15        #9
Veggie Burgers 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,637 | Props total: 7784 7784
That's crazy. Genius for sure.
+3   

3 months ago '07        #10
jussncredible 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,752 | Props total: 1094 1094
he gonna get bought out ...just like the longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg list of others who invented great things in this world...that people give credit to another "hue"
+5   

3 months ago '18        #11
BrooklynDamien 3 heat pts
space
space
$3,013 | Props total: 12851 12851
Dope but with text to speech if you have a phone you don't need the gloves and you need a phone to use the gloves so... Still dope he was actually able to do this

3 months ago '05        #12
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,360 | Props total: 6450 6450
 Negvagabon said
The african brain drain continues. Britain gets to milk the best and the brightest of african talent for a mere 25k
Right!! That tech is worth hundreds of millions.
+4   

3 months ago '18        #13
Dehone 
space
space
$3,099 | Props total: 9176 9176

And the brother is only 25
+4   

3 months ago '04        #14
Duntaz 70 heat pts70
space
space
$17,235 | Props total: 13862 13862
Nothing less than amazing
+2   

3 months ago '06        #15
Prince Ace 35 heat pts35
space
space
$17,093 | Props total: 12049 12049
excuse my ignorance but, is sign language universal or does it change with different languages?
+1   

3 months ago '18        #16
BlaqThum 
space
space
$223 | Props total: 950 950
Blaq techcellence
+2   

3 months ago '16        #17
AfroBucks88 38 heat pts38 OP
space
space
$3,632 | Props total: 9633 9633
 Prince Ace said
excuse my ignorance but, is sign language universal or does it change with different languages?
i think it differs from region, i know American and British sign language exists but not sure for other countries
+1   

3 months ago '06        #18
Prince Ace 35 heat pts35
space
space
$17,093 | Props total: 12049 12049
 AfroBucks88 said
i think it differs from region, i know American and British sign language exists but not sure for other countries
'preciate it
+1   

3 months ago '12        #19
Phuck Yiu 35 heat pts35
space
space
$8,108 | Props total: 13372 13372
Salute. Hope he gets guaped in
+1   

3 months ago '07        #20
ericsupreme 
space
space
space
$652 | Props total: 500 500
 AfroBucks88 said
Kenyan innovator invents smart hand gloves which turn sign language into audio speech

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

A 25-year-old Kenyan innovator has earned global recognition with his invention of a smart hand gloves which are capable of converting sign language movements into audio speech.

Roy Allela, a technology evangelist, says the need to communicate with his 6-year-old niece, who was born deaf, inspired him to build the technology.

Allela is among 16 young Africans who have been shortlisted by The Royal Academy of Engineering Africa Prize for inventors from six countries to receive funding, training and mentoring for projects intended to revolutionize sectors from agriculture and science to women’s health.

The winner will be awarded Sh3.2 million (£25,000) while each of the three runners up will receive Sh1.2 million (£10,000).

According to Allela, his niece encountered difficulties while communicating with members of her family since none of them is conversant with sign language.

The smart gloves – dubbed Sign-IO – have flex sensors that are placed on each finger and have the capacity to quantify the bend of a finger and process the letter being signed.

Using Bluetooth, the gloves are connected to a mobile application, that Allela also developed, which then converts the sign into audio speech.

“My niece wears the gloves, pairs them to her phone or mine, then starts signing and I’m able to understand what she’s saying,” says Allela.

Allela said the speed at which the signs are vocalized is one of the most important aspects of the smart gloves.

“People speak at different speeds and it’s the same with people who sign – some are really fast, others are slow, so we integrated that into the mobile application so that it’s comfortable for anyone to use it,” he said.

Through the app, users are able to set the language, gender, and pitch of the audio voice, with accuracy results averaging 93 percent.

“It f*ghts the stigma a*sociated with being deaf and having a speech impediment. If the gloves look cool, every kid will want to know why you have them on,” says Allela.

Allela’s innovation recently won the Hardware Trailblazer award from the prestigious American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) during its 2017 ASME Innovation Showcase (ISHOW) competition.

Allela says he is using the prize money from the award to make more accurate vocal predictions.

not surprising to me at all this is just the tip of the iceberg...the median age in africa is 19yrs old . let that sink in for a second ...peace
+1   

3 months ago '19        #21
Legit Trap 
space
space
$3 | Props total: 2 2
This is motivation for all of US.
+1   

3 months ago '05        #22
Tonero 8 heat pts
space
space
$7,840 | Props total: 4945 4945
 Negvagabon said
25k is for the winner of the competition. There is a brain drain , only because overseas companies pay more. The real issue is why arent blacks born in developed countries into tech? I have friends that would rather slave away at construction or customer service than learn to code
+2   

3 months ago '18        #23
Negvagabon 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 Tonero said
25k is for the winner of the competition. There is a brain drain , only because overseas companies pay more. The real issue is why arent blacks born in developed countries into tech? I have friends that would rather slave away at construction or customer service than learn to code
It’s not “cool” in the black community to be smart bruh you already know that. Black “geeks” will either date white bi*ches or beat their meat every night cause black women will not fu*k with a n*gga like that.
+1   

3 months ago '16        #24
The Waraba 24 heat pts24
space
space
$1,219 | Props total: 4085 4085
 Negvagabon said
It’s not “cool” in the black community to be smart bruh you already know that. Black “geeks” will either date white bi*ches or beat their meat every night cause black women will not fu*k with a n*gga like that.
fu*k being cool, also when a geek comes up his money and social status will always attract bi*ches. Its just a question of timing.

But you are right, blacks in developed countries especially the US are conditioned to value all types of bullsh*t.

3 months ago '18        #25
Negvagabon 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 The Waraba said
fu*k being cool, also when a geek comes up his money and social status will always attract bi*ches. Its just a question of timing.

But you are right, blacks in developed countries especially the US are conditioned to value all types of bullsh*t.
Yea but most men don’t wanna attract women after success. We want them bi*ches while we grinding to the top. n*gga I wanna fu*k them insta-thots while I’m working tech support making $18 a hour 🤷🏾*♂️ Not after I invent some world changing tech. Black females don’t reward nerd n*ggas with pusee
+2   

Home      

most viewed right now
+92online now  24
Image(s) inside Opposite of ...fu-k all these fake "build a body" brawds b
37 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  24
Hushed App
49 comments